Caravan and Pyrenees

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi, would really appreciate some advice. Fairly new to caravanning and making our first trip to Spain in mid April. We would like to go through the Pyrenees to France (heading twords Carcassone). Has anyone got any advice on good roads to take through the Pyrenees and any that should be avoided?
thanks

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ian,

We are doing a similar trip leaving on April 19th, but decided that it would be easier to go via Portsmouth - Bilbao Ferry, as it worked out not much more than driving down through France. It also means we arrive fresh and ready to go, with an extra 2 days in Spain as a bonus, have you considered this option?
I also asked a question on Toll charges in Spain and received some excellent information from Ray S & JayDug, if you look back you will be able to find the post, entitled Spanish Toll Charges 4months and 3 days ago, so some time in November. Some of the routes are over the Pyrenees so may be what your are looking for.
Be aware that if your rig is longer than 12metres then you will have to put 2 Marker Boards in Red/Yellow Chevrons on the back of the van. Look on ww.freightproducts.co.uk if you need them.
Our plan is to do the central area's of Spain including, Pamplona, Salamanca, Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona before working our way back up through France via Millau to Calais in June.
Carcasonne is well worth the visit, use the Camping De La Cite if you can, as you can walk in to the town within 10 minutes.
Just had a thought are you a member of ACSI ? if not consider joining as you will recoup the cost with 3 nights pitching, especally as you are going our of season. Just put ACSI on the net and it will bring it up, the cost is about £12-00 or less the two books are woprth the money alone as they give you over 3,000 sites all over Europe.
Hope your trip goes well, I am sure you will get some more relevant advice, and when you do I will be looking to read it myself.

Regards, George

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
apart from the required rear markers for 12 mtr long outfits be aware that Spain requires you to carry warning triangles for front & rear ie 2 for a car. technically its best to take 4 as if you have to leave the van you will need 2 for the van & 2 more for the car to be legal

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
TD42 said:
apart from the required rear markers for 12 mtr long outfits be aware that Spain requires you to carry warning triangles for front & rear ie 2 for a car. technically its best to take 4 as if you have to leave the van you will need 2 for the van & 2 more for the car to be legal

Er, not quite. It is only mandatory for residents to carry two triangles, visitors need only carry one.

However I will agree that the AA does its usual scare-mongering and advises carrying two in case a local official tries to penalise you for not having two available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to go north from Spain into France to Carcasonne then it's probably easier to stay on the costal motorway Barcelona Perpignon etc.
There is a route via Andorra.
The next recommended route for towing is further west through the Somport tunnel

You will find details of all routes in the France and Spain issues of Caravan Club Europe books which also list details of law, items to be carried etc. for those countries.

I normally use the coastal routes both east and west and both are easy towing. The Somport route is fine on the Spanish side but less so on the French with places of narrow roads, parked vehicles and the need to give way to oncoming traffic ( as it is going uphill, while you are going down) that makes it less relaxing with a long outfit.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
From Bilbao, just stick to the coastal road past San Sebastian- its straightforward. I would advise however to watch your speed. The road has the appearance of being fast flowing, but there are places where there are sharper changes of direction than such a road would suggest, that are ok in a car, but might catch out an unwary caravanner. Carcassonne is well worth visiting, but is very very popular with the French and the rest of the world too. Plenty of car parking outside the walls.

On your route are St Jean de Luz and Biarritz - both are excellent visits if you have time, but don't take the van to either whatever you do-streets are tight in both. Loads of good shops, eating and things to see if those appeal

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Ian, last year in August I went to Spain via Dover/Class for the first time with car and caravan it certainly is an experience! Not a bad one, a great one.
My advice would be to buy a Satnav like I did with free European updates, mine was a reconditioned Tomtom from eBay and was about £80 but worth its weight in gold!
Make sure you allow lots of extra time that you would normally allow in the UK, as I find you tire much quicker due to the fact you are concentrating much more because you are driving on the right and pulling your home behind you. Give yourself lots of stops for rest and don't overdo it!
Make sure you car is tiptop condition and don't overload! As those mountains in the Pyrenees are VERY steep up and don't forget the down, so make sure you brakes are in good condition.
I suppose it depends on how powerful your car is compared to the weight of your van.
Given all this to take into account... I am sure you will enjoy your holiday.... We did..
In fact this year we are going back to France (not Spain this time)
Hope you have a great time

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
We have been doing this trip for years

We tend NOT to do the short crossing unless it's by train
We travel down the Western side regularly and find it quite an easy drive over three nights using ACSI stop over sites
BUT we have also done this direct into Bilbao Spain and found that it is cheaper by the Bilbao Ferry to go to Alicante than it is to drive through France especially when you factor in site fee's
BUT the trip through France is also very enjoyable and you do see some beautiful sights - like Carcassonne City walls at night .
DO NOT think it is easier to stop on the Autoroute overnight to sleep it is not
IF you are disabled make sure you use your Blue badge at Toll Booths -disabled travel free
Also fuel is cheaper OFF the Autoroute in France but cheaper ON the Autovia/Pisa in Spain

Don't forget travel insurance (we use Red Pennant )
Don't forget to carry three triangles for Spain (two if you leave the caravan and the other incase the car then breaks down) - two for France
Don't forget the breathalysers in France - but there's no fine anymore for not having them
Mobile phone - THree contracts and PAYG with an APP mean you use your normal allowance whilst away at no extra cost but use FREE WiFi where you can to improve your contact (Whatsapp is good on free wifi)

Also Brittany Ferries have a club for travellers - yes it costs but the discounts are well worth it the Spanish club gives you 30% OFF crossing costs and cheap meals

If you want any more proof check out these albums http://s78.photobucket.com/user/Madcaravanner/Vacance/France/story

BTW we are going down the West Coast of France but turning Left instead of right at Perpignan and stopping over in Poitou Charente for a lot of Carp Fishing too

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone for some very useful info, most grateful. We are travelling outbound Plymouth to Santander, then once we've spent some time in Spain we plan to cross into France to visit Carcassone and head back to Calais taking in some of the western side of France. It looks like the best route for us between Spain and France is to take the eastern route at the end of the Pyrenees (Barcelona, Perpignan) although we have a very small outfit so we may have a look at the suggestion of the Somport Tunnel route (two berth, Shipping Length 5.37m).

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
ianjsmith said:
Thanks everyone for some very useful info, most grateful. We are travelling outbound Plymouth to Santander, then once we've spent some time in Spain we plan to cross into France to visit Carcassone and head back to Calais taking in some of the western side of France. It looks like the best route for us between Spain and France is to take the eastern route at the end of the Pyrenees (Barcelona, Perpignan) although we have a very small outfit so we may have a look at the suggestion of the Somport Tunnel route (two berth, Shipping Length 5.37m).

Hi Ianjsmith

done variants of this route over the years though we prefer Bilbao crossing
What you will find is how much more expensive France is compared to Spain Are you planning on using RN roads all the way or are you using Autoroutes as well ??
We actually prefer Autoroutes especially on Sundays when all French HGV are stopped except for perishable goods
Carcassonne is a beautiful city the walls at night are worth driving out to see
You do not say how long you have for your sojourn but expect to spend a minimum 6-8 days driving North via the West coast and don't forget your ACSI card if you are going late August /September

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ianjsmith said:

If you are driving from Santander towards Barcelona be warned - it is a long way, well over 300 miles - whereas to Irun is only about 100 miles and a further 200 or so to Carcassonne.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Madcaravanner. Thanks for all that. We're away for 6 weeks from mid-April to end May so hopefully enough. We have our ACSI card. We are very experienced at tent camping in France and are familiar with the roads and usually use RN with only occasional forays onto motorways when we need to get somewhere quickly or free or when it means a good bypass to a city or big town and have bought a telepeage device to make it easier and maybe save a little money.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
For carcasonne from Calais area I use the rouen chartres from orleans pickup N77 A77 mainly toll free. to Cleamont Ferrand then A75 toll free all the way to A9 N9 at Beziers from Narbonne N113 to Carcassonne . its a lot cheaper than the long sea crossing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts