caravan brakes

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, heres another really stupid question! I understand caravans have brakes which work when the car brakes as the caravan pushes against the tow ball and this applies the caravn breaks as well. What happens when you want to reverse? Doesnt the car push the tow ball and apply the breaks?

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
I don't know why but the brakes don't get applied in reverse. I remember seeing an explanation of this but I can't recall it - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to explain it...;-)

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alan

New to the game my self but I would stress that when you have reversed to your pitch pull forward a foot or so, after a few trips out with mine got pretty good at siting it, ( not having to shunt it into the pitch ) and thats were it went wrong because I did not pull forward and left it fo a period of time the brakes stuck on. a few phone calls and 2 hours later got it sorted, so always pull forward to make sure they are free.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
years ago i use to have an eldis van that had a lever on the hitch that stopped the brake lever on the hitch going back.......good job i had her who must be obeyed to jump out and operate it.....i think it was a bb chassis

hgv dave

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all

indeed hgv dave it would have been a BB trailer we all remember them well, like the one that had a fold over clamp that stopped the hitch damper moving back oh what joy when you forgot to move it back after reversing, so at the next junction the van brakes did not apply and pushed the car.

in answer to alans question:> a more detailed answer can be found on the link provide by gafferbill but basically the brake shoes sit on 2 cams at the back in the high position and the brakes apply when the activation lever is operated, because of the wheel rotation it keeps the cams in the high position,

when reversing the brakes apply intitally as normal but because the wheel rotation is reversed the brake shoes move the cams into the low position releasing the brakes, the next time the brakes are applied ie hand brake or going forward the cams return to the high postion and the van brakes work normally once again.

however the system only works properly if all the components are able to move freely any stiffness in the cams or levers will effect the operation of the brakes either the braking effort will be reduced or the brakes will not properly release on reversing I am sure this is the reason why posters sometimes complain of being able to smell the cluch burning in reverse or have the feeling the van is pushing the car.

thats why I believe it is important to have the brakes serviced regulary and such things as leaving the handbrake on when parked should be avioded.

colin

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
alan

do not feel that you are asking a stupid question,if you dont know about an item please ask,ive been vanning for years and years and i didnt know exactly how the brakes stopped working when the van was reversed.....i knew about the very old type and i read in a handbook years ago about how modern caravan brakes worked

thats what this forum is all about.....if you have any question about anything to do with caravaning just ask.....nobody will think less of anyone for asking because we have all been there before,we all have to start somewhere and by asking you could save yourself time,money and embarrasment because im sure that no one person on this forum knows it all.......but we all know most of it

hgv dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts