Caravan breakdown cover

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have recently got a lease car from work which I intend to use for towing my caravan. The car is covered for breakdown under the lease scheme but not the caravan.

I was previously with Britannia Rescue but they won't cover the car (and hence the caravan) as its not registered to me.

Does anyone know where I can obtain breakdown cover for the caravan only, eg if a wheel falls off?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris, I also have a lease car which comes with breakdown cover through the AA, this does not cover caravans. I have seperate cover for the Car a Caravan with CC Mayday through Green Flag, this covers just about everything. Iam not sure where you will find cover for the caravan only, but are you sure you would want the hassle of dealing with two separate organisations if you need assistance when towing. Hope this helps.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
With Toyota I have cover for the car, and for a caravan up to 7m. So if the car breaks down they will pick up the van. If the Van breaks down, and not the Car I am on my own.

I was told by the RAC that I need to join the C&CC to obtain cover for the Van, because it is over sized at 7.92m. I have written to Toyota for clarification.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. Thanks for the replies. Jonathan, does this mean your car is effectively covered twice - with the AA and Green Flag? As I say, Britannia Rescue (who cover my wife's car) won't cover this car/caravan as it's not registered to me.

I was also thinking that breakdown cover for the caravan only should be fairly cheap as it's not used very often and I can't see that there's that much to go wrong other than with the tow hitch or wheels/brakes. I have the CC insurance which should cover anything catastrophic happening.

I think I'll phone Green Flag and see what they say. Thanks. Chris.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris, Yes as you say our car is effectively covered twice, there are no problems that the car is not registered in my name. The reason i chose this option is if,say, the car broke down whilst towing, the lease company service through the AA would only recover the car a not the caravan. Mayday/Green Flag through the CC is much better geared up to help caravanners,IMHO,with its double journey cover,and recovery even after an accident.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Chris,

Used to have a lease car myself and potentially the same problem. However, I extended the breakdown cover on my wifes car to cover other vehicles (and therefore the caravan), it cost a lot less than taking out a seperate breakdown policy. Mind you that was about 12 years ago, don't know if it is still an option but may be worth enquiring if you have a second car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John. That's what I intended to do but they said the extended cover only included any other cars registered to a private individual, whereas my lease cars registered to the company. I'm going to get in writing whether or not they'll agree to cover it (I'll say Green Flag will) otherwise I'm going to find out the situation with Green Flag.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Chris,

I had no problem at the time with this, the cover was extended to ANY vehicle that I was driving or a passenger in, I think it was through the RAC at the time, but as I say that was a long time ago so I expect the policies may have altered.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Green Flag (the CC own service) will look after your vehicle and will recover your van with no length restrictions.

your car insurance will give third party cover for your van in the event of a accident etc. but if you use the car insurers Recovery Service please check on the length limitations which the recovery service may apply.

When I insured my car and added the recovery element I at the time pulled a van of 16ft length. that was ok. When I changed the van to 22ft. the recovery service did not recover vans of that length. Check this out before you tow and not after you have a breakdown.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have Kia Assist which is for 3 years cover, and serviced by the RAC.Like Frank they will only cover a van up to 7 meters. I had to join May Day (as they do not impose a limit) through the C.C

Green Flag membership also impose the 7 meter limit. I thought it was all the same company!!!!

Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts