Caravan Cooking

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi again eveyone, Can anyone tell me if toasting bread under the grill takes longer than a caravan toaster, should I buy a toaster? Should I buy a cordless caravan kettle or use a whistle kettle that goes on the gas cooker to boil my water for drinks? I am looking for the quickest method as I will be cooking for 5 Thank you.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Niki you don't say if you will use hook up,if so why use your own gas if you are already paying for electric.We use the toasterr from home and a kettle,both work fine has long as you don't go above the the site amps

Nigel

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
We have both kettles and toaster/grill. I prefer toast form the grill, but as the previous message if you already pay for a hook up you might as well use electric kettle and toaster.

Toast is a must....

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We use a low wattage electric kettle which takes a little bit longer to boil but is less likely to trip the ehu.

As a backup we also have a whistling kettle which stays in the under seat locker until we need it.

The whistling kettle was inexpensive and doesn't weigh much and on occasions when there is no ehu we can still have hot drinks.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We're a family of 5, we have an electric kettle and a toaster which live in the caravan, we always use hook up. We do carry a whistling kettle in case of problems with the electric for some reason.

Annette

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
There's 4 off us. Use domestic style kettle, toaster, and sandwitch maker! don't need another kettle, use a pan if electric fails.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We use a low wattage kettle, still full size just less Amps.

One good tip, we use a slow cooker to do our evening meals in. In a morning whilst i make a packed lunch my other half puts something in the slow cooker. we then go out all day & arrive back at the caravan to a hot meal that's ready to eat very quickly. We find we can get more into weekends this way.

Hope this is useful

Gareth

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We found it a bit of a faff doing toast under the grill - the toast rarely browns evenly and you have to watch it and be ready to turn the bread. If you happen to be tall, doing toast for five people will give you lovely back ache. We use a domestic pop-up toaster and you can also be doing other things while it toasts. If you happen to stay on a CL or CS without EHU, then the caravan grill is always there.

As for type of kettle. We started caravanning in the days when there were no electric hook-ups on caravan sites. Everyone used a whistling kettle on the hob and to this day we still use one. There's something about them that just seems to go with the 'camping in the great outdoors' feeling you get with caravanning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts