Caravan Crash on M5 near Bristol

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What a nightmare but glad it's being sorted and that your all ok.
I'm considering buying dash cams and fitting to front and back in case of these kind of incidences
Does your car insurance cover your caravan and have they been ok with paying out? I'm considering taking out separate caravan insurance but not sure if it's really needed or just an extra outlay that's not needed
Car insurance will not cover the damage to the caravan, but it does cover damage to third parties so always wise to insure the caravan.

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
What a nightmare but glad it's being sorted and that your all ok.
I'm considering buying dash cams and fitting to front and back in case of these kind of incidences
Does your car insurance cover your caravan and have they been ok with paying out? I'm considering taking out separate caravan insurance but not sure if it's really needed or just an extra outlay that's not needed

Hi Jerry
my advice would be always have separate caravan insurance, My car insurance company wasn't interested in my caravan at the time of the Accident. the standard fee`s for recovery of a car/caravan of the motorway network is £250 each, then there`s recovery company storage fee`s £20 Daily, £140 Weekly each, i received a threatening letter from a payment recovery firm within 5 day, demanding payment within the next 7 days, or the vehicle/caravan would be scrapped, both my car/caravan insurance companies paid & sorted out these issues, which was a relief. if i hadn't have had caravan insurance this would have been very stressful situation to deal with,. My caravan insurance was only £160 annually. So that is a small price to pay considering what it could have cost me,
"Always insure separately"
= keep all paperwork from day of purchase
= keep all paperwork for servicing/repairs
The insurance company will ask for all these to prove you've looked after & maintained it,
plus the Cris Registration certificate
hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2021
Visit site
Oh I didn't realise it was so cheap!
Well worth it then. Is it difficult proving liability for a caravan? Soon as you mention the word caravan it seems blame is on us!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Oh I didn't realise it was so cheap!
Well worth it then. Is it difficult proving liability for a caravan? Soon as you mention the word caravan it seems blame is on us!
Why should it be more difficult to prove liability. Surely if you are in an accident you record the details. Look at your dash cam if you have one. Take photos with the phone etc. If the police are attending their reports will count. I always carry the European accident report form in such a case it comes in useful to objectively record the situation. Even if the other driver(s) don’t sign their copy you have your record.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Today coming home from holiday at Dartford crossing had to stamp on brakes as car in front done the same . There was almighty thump and I thought I had hit him, got out and we were about 60cm away, so carried on until the thought came to me was the person behind hit back of our caravan . As no places apart from hard shoulder we carried on with me dreading to go and have a look. Eventually took a look and alls well , not sure what the thump was though.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Today coming home from holiday at Dartford crossing had to stamp on brakes as car in front done the same . There was almighty thump and I thought I had hit him, got out and we were about 60cm away, so carried on until the thought came to me was the person behind hit back of our caravan . As no places apart from hard shoulder we carried on with me dreading to go and have a look. Eventually took a look and alls well , not sure what the thump was though.
Did the caravan brakes come on?
The thump might have been the weight of the caravan against the hitch if the towcar stopped before the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts