Caravan Europe

G

If you are planning on travelling through Europe then they (both 1 and 2)are well worth getting. The also do last for more than 1 year as many sites do not change from year to year, so you can use it again next year.

Of course there may be mistakes and errors as many sites are based on members input, and things change through time, but as a base site directory it is a good deal. We also use the Alan Rogers Guides as these often show different sites and give more detailed reviews.

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
I have just found this website run by ADAC(The German AA).It shows many camping sites including municipals through out europe.

1. click on "Ziele?"

2. enter the name of the city or region where you wish to stay (please observe the German spelling, ie Koeln for Cologne, Muenchen for Munich etc.)

3. click on any of the blue search result(s)

4. you'll be shown an interactive map of the area with campsites indicated in blue and red triangles (tents). Red campsites are seasonal and blue campsites are open all year.

5. click on "Campingplatzbeschreibung" in order to access further details, including opening times, phone/fax numbers (please dial 0049 for Germany first and drop the 0 on the area code) and, if available, an email and web address

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use the Caravan Club guides and find them useful as the comments are by members who have stayed at the sites. For planning, because we go out of the main season, I tend to use the Camping Cheque Book (mainly duplicate of the Alan Rogers Guide) and the ACSI Card directory.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use the Caravan Europe guide - and because we don't book anything we take it in the car with us. That way if we want to stop we can have a look in the book and find the nearest campsite. It's a comprehensive guide, and has a range of sites from the largest four star holiday club, to the quietest farm-type sites.

G

The CC books are well woth it in our opinion, like Val we dont book in advance but have a look first, only once have we turned up at a site and found it closed, last year at La Ferte St Aubin a municipal site on the A71. Compared to the AA guide we had before this is good.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
I find the Caravan Europe 1 and 2 very useful, not only for the sites, but also for the guidance on motoring regulations for each country.

One thing I think could be improved is that, particularly for France, it would be helpful if it were divided into regions, rather than one alphabetical list for the whole country.

Enjoy your holidays,

Trevor M.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
I have to disagree with you there Trevor as being in Alphabetical order makes sense especially if you are touring extensively; as you may not know which region you are in exactly. Whereas if its coming up to 5pm and you decide its time to stop for the night, a quick look at the map to show the next towns coming up means that you can go straight to them rather than having to negotiate a sub directory.

My navigator normally snoozes quite merrily only stirring to pay a tolls etc, so at my asking she picks up the book and goes straight to Cahors for example............. And then back to sleep.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I also agree with John-boy - alphabetical is the best if you're touring and aren't looking ahead for suitable sites in the 'area' you're planning to visit. As he says, a quick 'Where are we, dear!!!!' and 'Near to Issoire' (which you know) leads you straight to the municipal sites in Issoire - otherwise you'd have to find out which 'Department' Issoire was in, in order to be able to find a site (and I don't know, do you??).

Michelin have changed their layout to 'Department' and it's much more difficult to find a site you want, en-route.

Apr 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, we have travelled down through France to Spain for the last two years.We met a lady on our last stop who swore by them so I think we will purchase volume 1.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great guides, unfortunately they close the new issue for comment in the September prior to the year of publication, and don't publ;ish until into the following January, so winter trippers to Spain usually have to use an 'old' guide.

Having said this, you get 'warts and all' comments from - usually - several CC members, so I find them more reliable than most of the commercial guides. If the review says 'NH only' then it usually means it !

The listing of sites in France at places named Saint and variations thereon can be a bit confusing.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

I think they are fabulous guides. Mrs Donnelly and I toured around Europe for six months in 2003 without prebooking anything and used the guides everyday to pick the sites we stayed. Apart from one very bad site in Sorento, the books gave very reliable advice all the way through.

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

www.twitter.com/pcaravan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts