Caravan Faults

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Purchased a new Sterling Elite Amber a year last May. First service on the van was carried out in May this year by the registered dealer. On collecting the van after the service the dealer informed me that there was water ingress due to the skirt level seals on both sides of the van being badly finished. Swift are aware of this problem and are calling in the vans affected with this problem. I had a letter of confirmation from Swift to say that they would collect my van from the dealer on 9 July. The letter also stated that they would need the van for a maximum of four weeks, which I thought was a long time to correct the problem, as this is the height of the caravaning season. I contacted their customer care department on Friday 20 July to be told that my van was currently in the drying room and could only be finished when totally dry. Then they added that the factory closes for their annual shutdown on Friday 27 July and my van might not be ready to come back until after their holiday! Needless to say I am furious, we are being denied use of our van because they did not seal the van properly at manufacture and why didn't their quality control pick up the fault? I am told that they only became aware when the dealers noticed the problem at first service. This is our fourth Sterling van, it might be the last!

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Just tell them that you have holidays already booked up and as its their fault they can wait at your pleasure...and if they say the van might collect more damp just say hard cheeses you sold me a product unfit for purpose and be lucky I'm not sueiing for a replacement and compo for the inconvenience caused.

Don't stand for the old runaround ...the customer is king...and so are trading standards

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Geof,

Despite the intervention of the manufacture in the repair process, your actual claim and complaint is against the seller from whom you bought the caravan. That is your contract, and by the dealers own admission also confirmed by the manufacturer, the caravan was faulty at the time of purchase, which squarely puts this problem in the realms of the Sale of Goods Act (SoGA).

'Goods must be free form design, manufacturing or material faults'
As the product was faulty at the time of sale, then the seller is in breach of SOGA, and must remedy the situation.

It does not matter who actually caused the fault it is the sellers responsibility to ensure the goods are faultless, and by allowing a fault to get through to the end user, the seller is liable.

And whilst it may seem strange, it is the seller who has called in the manufacture, so the manufacture is acting as a sub contractor to the dealer to repair the item. As such you need have no direct contact with the manufacture, all your dealings should be with the seller.

SoGA also requires the repairs must be carried out with no expense and the minimum inconvenience to you.

Contact your dealer about how he is going to arrange for you to go away as you had planned. If he doesn't play ball contact trading standards or Consumer Direct for advice.

You did not order a faulty caravan so why did the dealer sell you one? The problem is not of your making so why should you be inconvenienced. SoGA is there to help, so use it

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " Just tell them that you have holidays already booked up and as its their fault they can wait at your pleasure..."

I do not think the OP can do that, as if you read the posting correctly the van is at the Swift factory, it is not awaiting collection.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would ask for compensation for the loss of use during the main holiday season and the cost of the hire of another caravan if you have anything booked for that period. Keep proof of the bookings as you may need this.

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
10% of all new caravans have a damp problem within 1 year of being sold
20% of all caravans under the age of 2 years have a damp problem
50% of all caravan warranties are voided by the manufacturers because of lack of servicing by the owners.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts