Caravan Fridge won't work on gas

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Never had any problems before but our Caravan Fridge won't work on gas. Electric is fine. Whilst I wouldn't tamper with gas fittings myself, are there any other checks I can do myself to solve the problem ?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Pinto said:
Never had any problems before but our Caravan Fridge won't work on gas. Electric is fine. Whilst I wouldn't tamper with gas fittings myself, are there any other checks I can do myself to solve the problem ?

you did not state wether it won't light or won't stay lit, there is a difference.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Assuming that the fridge will not light, apart from a few basic checks, there is not a lot you can do apart from have the fridge checked by your dealer/service point.

1) Do other appliances function ok on gas?

2) have you tried turning the gas supply isolator for the fridge to it''s alternative position?

3) Have you tried turning off the gas at the bottle, then holding in the gas control knob on the fridge, while it's in the "ignite" position to dispel any build up of gas, as an incorrect gas/air mixture will cause problems?
Wait a few minutes then retry lighting the fridge.
If you have a small window to see the gas flame, can you see a spark when you try to ignite the gas, if not, the piezo ignition may have failed. If it is automatic ignition, can you check the 12V supply to the fridge? if it is manual igition, pressing the ignite button should produce the spark. No spark indicates to much gas or failed ignition unit.

4) Are all external fridge vents clear? once again, a blockage could cause problems.

Apart from these basic checks, it is advisable to contact your dealer as only Gas Safe registered persons may work on the gas supply..

REMEMBER, IF YOU SMELL GAS IN THE VAN, DO NOT TOUCH ANY ELECTRICAL SWITCHES, TURN OFF THE GAS AT THE BOTTLE TAP AND VENTILATE THE CARAVAN BEFORE MOVING IT.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brianjw47.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. It won't light and you cannot hear the piazzo clicking. There isn't a window to see the flame. We tried all your suggestions on site and everything else worked fine on gas. Our service man is coming to have a look next week. We managed by boosting it on electric morning and evening with our honda generator and our site owner put a lot in her fridge for us. We didn't use to carry a lot of food but my husband has been diagnosed coeliac (gluten intolerant) so now we tend to take loads of GF sausages etc which aren't available in the remote spots we tend to go to.
The van is 10 year so old so maybe just wear and tear - we've had it from new.

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
It was worth trying these things l suggested.
It is unfortunate but the 'van is still pretty new, ours is a 2000 2 berth, nice and light and pretty reliable.
I am sure your man will sort it for you, from what you say it is possible that the piezo ignition is not working so fingers crossed.

Keep us informed as it is nice to see what was wrong as it can give an indication for other 'caravanners.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It's Dometic. He's coming tomorrow afternoon and I'll keep the forum updated on his findings.
This site is so helpful and informative. We bought a cover for our generator from Bags 4 Everything on recommendation from here and it is brilliant

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Dometic RM 7921 has a grey ignition button on the front. When depressed and the gas turned on she sparks. As it lights the gauge on the front changes and proves the gas flame is working.immediately behind the grey button is a small battery that powers the ignition.
If you have the same model change the battery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add a ray of good news, If the fridge still works on mains and/or 12V at least it proves the refrigeration circuit is sound.

Whilst there will be some cost to getting it seen to, at least it shouldn't need a complete replacement fridge. Most part should be available to registered fitter.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
No ours lights automatically. You turn the dial to gas/electric or 12V and it does the rest itself. I googled about the model and it says electronic ignition. Its an RM7291 L

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Pinto,

i managed to find the service manual for your model on line and it does have an electronics module that controls the gas and the ignition system.

If the flame fail detects a problem it will shut down the gas to the burner.

This may be your problem.

It would appear to be a standard replacement module so fingers crossed.

Sir Brian of Stevenage.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Brian, thanks very much - do you have a link to the manual ? I found spares at Leisureworlddirect and a parts diagram. Waiting now for our chap to come this afternoon and hopefully advise what we need. I'll post the solution when I know what it is.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have been trying to locate the parts we need, and the engineer came a day late !
We need a replacement Ignitor unit and as the burner is very rusty he suggested changing this too. I have found what I think I need here with the help of their technical team.
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/caravan-spares.aspx?pdf=14512&pdf_page_id=9164&dpn_id=637&sch=1
However the original ignitor is a Heatec Ignitor Unit Dometic Typ810 241 2789-00 which leisureshopdirect say is now unavailable. I am awaiting a reply as to whether there is a substitute.
From the diagram on the link above hubby feels that part 521 is the part we need - any views ? The two cost around £ 160 so not a cheap job :(

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pinto

A new fridge will set you back £800.
Your fridge is relatively new. Can your engineer not source one for ?
Have you had a chat direct with Domestic?
Thanks for keeping us in the picture.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Anyone any idea how long it takes Dometic to reply ? It's been two days now. I made the enquiry on-line on their web page. Hubby says I'm too impatiient :)

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Damian, thanks for your reply - how much do you want for them ? We contacted carvavan dismantlers but it entailed a visit for them to see the parts - 186 round trip - but we do live as far west in Wales as you can get !!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pinto,
Sorry for the delay in being able to send the items but I have been in hospital for a couple of days and limited access to the computer.
I will get them sent in the next couple of days but will email you about details first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts