Caravan Heaters

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Well im useing my caravan over the winter months this year,and i dont want to use the gas fire thats installed in the van over night,So does anybody know of an electic heater (proberly of the non fan type)because of the noise that i can use over night on a thermostat system..Thank you..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Eddie,

As John Watson says, the majority of caravan heaters (Carver, Electrolux and Truma) are safe to use because they are 'Room sealed'

'Room sealed' heaters are designed in such a way to totally separate the burner, heat exchanger and flue gasses from the air inside the caravan. All you get inside the caravan is clean hot air.

As with all gas appliances it is important that they are regularly maintained and checked by a competent gas fitter.

Such heaters are as safe to use during the night as during the day.

If you believe there are fumes escaping from the heater then the heater must not be used at all until it has been checked and if necessary repaired. In most cases where 'fumes' are suspected, it turns out to be dust/hairs on the heat exchanger.

It is my experience that the 'room sealed' feature is usually quite robust, and is only likely to be compromised if someone has tampered with the appliance or it has been damaged.

Obviously the choice is yours, but unless the heater is not room sealed or has been damaged, then it is a perfectly safe appliance to use all night.

You actually get far more fumes from your gas cooker and

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Dimplex Coldwatch are excellent non fan heaters. They are available in 500wat and 1kw. They have thermostats and can be stood upright or laid flat. They are completely safe. We have been using one of each during the winter for the past 12 years. We keep our caravan at home on it's own hardstanding and always leave the 1kw on in our Swift Conqueror during the winter. When caravanning the 500wat is always left on in the end washroom in winter, with the fire in the body of the caravan on 1kw. We do not like blown air.

Hamer

May 13, 2007
Visit site
I have a heater situated below the wardrobe. Its old, probably about 20 years and has no flue at all. There is a hole above it which leads into the space below the wardrobe and a vent in the floor. Is it safe not to have a flue? sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For years it was the norm for Carver heaters to use a flu below the floor similar to the balanced flu on gas central heating boilers.

The air intake and exhaust were both under the van

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Dimplex Coldwatch are excellent non fan heaters. They are available in 500wat and 1kw. They have thermostats and can be stood upright or laid flat. They are completely safe. We have been using one of each during the winter for the past 12 years. We keep our caravan at home on it's own hardstanding and always leave the 1kw on in our Swift Conqueror during the winter. When caravanning the 500wat is always left on in the end washroom in winter, with the fire in the body of the caravan on 1kw. We do not like blown air.

Hamer
Hamer, does that mean that during the winter you do not drain down your water system?? I've just placed a post on the same subject when I saw your comment...tks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts