Caravan Hunting

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello all

So the time has come. We are going to check out some caravans this weekend and get a feel for the different layouts. We only have a small budget of around £4k for our starter van but it appears there are quite a few second hand vans out there on both eBay and from dealers.

We have read all about what to look for and know about the issue of damp and how this is considered a cancer for caravans. If you have any other advice to offer that isn't written in the guidelines or something you have learned by your own experience of buying a second hand van it would be really appreciated.

We are looking for a single axle, 5 berth van and hopefully one no older than 2001. We are a family of three (4 year old girl) and two small poodles. I notice that the decor in most vans of this age is rather chintzy :p but we don't really mind about that as long as the condition of the van is sound. I think it rather adds to the character. Caravan interior designers certainly like the floral look don't they!

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Yanda007

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
  • Compile a list of 'must haves' 'wants' and 'don't needs' and print some copies to tick off when you look inside various caravans on dealers forecourts.
  • If buying from a private vendor, ensure beyond doubt that they own the caravan and have the right to sell it. Don't complete transactions in lay by's or motorway services.
  • If buying from an online auction site such as E-bay it's absolutely vital that you check the caravan in person before agreeing to any sale.
  • If distance makes this impossible use a mobile service engineer to do the checks for you.
  • Don't be tempted to agree to a sale with no check, you will be ripped off!
  • Have a look at Caravan Finder, caravan forum classified ads (we don't have any) and the classified section in the back of Practical Caravan magazine.
    Local free sales websites such as Gumtree could help you to find a caravan close to home.
    Enjoy the search, there will be many fine examples for sale now that the NEC and other caravan shows are taking place because dealers won't take older chintzy models in part exchange.

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much for this. Never thought of checking that the person selling the van own's the van! I am preparing a check list as I type!

Great stuff.

Thanks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You're welcome :)
You'd be surprised at how many families become so excited at the prospect of buying their caravan that they forget to do the basic stuff.
I've read about people who meet vendors on motorway services when they have scrimped and saved their hard earned money.
Go into the sellers house, a pre loved caravan will have plenty of paperwork to prove ownership. You wouldn't take risks if buying a car so apply a similar standard for the caravan :)

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Caravans are registered on a nation a register run by CRiS. Obtain the VIN number of the caravan which is etched on the windows and phone CRiS on 0203 282 1000 and they will let you know if the caravan has been stolen. When you buy a caravan get it registered in your name. I think this costs £15.00
This should prevent you buying a stolen van

May 7, 2012
Visit site
With a caravan that age damp has to be the main problem. If the owner cannot show a recent damp test get a damp meter or take someone with you who has one and check along the joints between the walls and roof and front and rear panels and round the windows. Also check the front and rear panels for minor cracks and make sure everything fitted is demonstrated to show how it works and to confirm it does work.
Basically with private sales be aware there are rogues out there and if things do not feel right walk away just as you would if buying a car, it is much the same..

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you ask a local mobile Engineer , he might give you a cheaper survey as a way to get your custom in future,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can find a local member of the Approved Workshop Sceme by googling the title. One with mobile facilities will probabably be able to run a check on any van you consider for a cost almost insignificant with the amount you are prepared to spend. With such a report you may bdecide not to go ahead with that particular van, or use the report to negotiate a price reduction.
Further suggestion would be to join one of the main Clubs, both of which offer good advice and insurance facilities and local groups where you can meet other caravanners.
You will find that, with minimal exceptions, we are a friendly bunch and happy to give advice and make suggestion about kit and driving and sites and.......... Don't be shy about asking. We all had to start. It would be very sad if you had an early mishap or bad experience early on which put you off the whole thing when just asking ( in person or on this forum) could have avoided it.

Welcome and good luck from one in your situation in 1967.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Looks nice and the offer of a year's warranty is a bonus. However, you need to check (a) that you can safely and legally tow with the car you intend to use (plenty of posts about that subject on this and other forums)! and (b) that the interior layout is suitable for you (are the beds/shower big enough, etc).

If the answer to either of those points is no, look at as many others as you can to determine what weights and layouts are suitable so you can make your search more meaningful.

As others have said, the main concern has to be damp. A meter is useful but not all-defining; it can give artificially high readings for condensation or even if your hands are wet. If it smells damp, it is damp and if you get to the dealer forecourt and find that the windows or skylight have been opened before you arrive, ask yourself why.

Good luck and let us know what you buy! We were in your position 2 years ago but are loving it :)

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I bough a 2003 lunar last year. When we were looking we saw some ropey old vans..... one had black mould growing in the back of some of the cupboards and sealer dribbling down from the roof.
Ours had a springy floor, had been 'well used' but it was dry, had been serviced and everything worked. It's been fine for what we paid for it. It also had the added bonus that it had been previously owned by a vicar - so it was blessed!

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello folks

So we found our van. I love it. Had it checked for everything and it comes with a warranty too! We collect it this weekend. It is a 2002, 5 berth Swift Charisma 545. Very excited! Lovely starter van. Now just have to check out insurance etc.

Thanks for all your advice.

x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get the insurance starts as soon as you take delivery. There was a very sad story of a couople who bought a caravan, and whilst towing it home totalled it.No insurance meant money was lost and they had to pay to have it taken away.....

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Well done and enjoy :)

If it helps, our caravan is of a similar age and the cheapest insurance for the last 2 years has been with C&CC - if you're a member the price reduces even further.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yanda, belated congrates, I just renewed with the C&CC and this year it came with a £500 pet insurance whilst they are with you. Which could be helpfull , if like Dusty Dog and have a dog that eats stones. Or like mine cuts it pads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts