caravan insurance and dogs

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I have just had my caravan stolen .On trying to get insurance for my new van I have been told that the caravan alarm must be on at all times when the caravan is left unattended.I have an elderly dog that cannot walk very far .I cannot leave the dog in the caravan for short spells because I will not be able to set the alarm the dog will have to go out every time we do This has put an end to our caravaning for good has anybody got some ideas

Thanks Alan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Alan

Such an imposition is not the norm.

What caravan do you have and which Insurer has made this demand on you? I assume the alarm is in addition to hitch locks and wheel clamps?

Cheers

Dustydog

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
I thought most caravan alarms were 'tilt activated' or motion' activated' rather than detecting movement inside like a house alarm - unless your alarm has PIRs (those sensors that are fitted up near the ceilings in houses to detect movement) the dog shouldn't set it off.

Even houses with PIRs can be adapted to leave dogs in the house, you have the 'sweep' of the PIR detector to be above waist height so it will detect people but not dogs.

If you have an extremely sensitive alarm is leaving the dog crated in the awning an option for you?

I do hope this doesn't signal the end of your caravanning, it would be a shame.

Good luck in finding a solution

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I thought most caravan alarms were 'tilt activated' or motion' activated' rather than detecting movement inside like a house alarm - unless your alarm has PIRs (those sensors that are fitted up near the ceilings in houses to detect movement) the dog shouldn't set it off.

Even houses with PIRs can be adapted to leave dogs in the house, you have the 'sweep' of the PIR detector to be above waist height so it will detect people but not dogs.

If you have an extremely sensitive alarm is leaving the dog crated in the awning an option for you?

I do hope this doesn't signal the end of your caravanning, it would be a shame.

Good luck in finding a solution
the insurance is with the Caravan Club the van will be new and has pir and tilt sensors .If I buy an older caravan which I dont want to will they make me have an alarm fitted .There must be thousands of people out there with dogs and caravans

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
this will be a new 2010 van with pir sensors and tilt sensor if I buy an older van without an alarm will the caravan club insurance make me fit one there must be thousands of people out there in this position or is it just me because I have had a caravan stolen

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your help I phoned the Caravan Club back to ask about an older caravan and a nice young lady spoke to the insurance advisor who agreed to allow for an al-ko wheel clamp to be fitted along with hitchlock and locks on the two rear legs The alarm can be left off for the short time the caravan is unattended which will not be very often.

Thanks for every ones help I can new carry on caravaning

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your help I phoned the Caravan Club back to ask about an older caravan and a nice young lady spoke to the insurance advisor who agreed to allow for an al-ko wheel clamp to be fitted along with hitchlock and locks on the two rear legs The alarm can be left off for the short time the caravan is unattended which will not be very often.

Thanks for every ones help I can new carry on caravaning
That's great news, I would however suggest you get it in writing, insurance companies are notorious for left and right hand situations.

Happy Caravanning :eek:)

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar problem but came up with the idea of just covering the sensor whilst the dog was left in, this seemed to work when i tried it and it left the rest of the system still active. maybe worth a try on yours.

Good luck

Dunc.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
We had a situation of late whereby Phantom were contacting us regularly saying our alarm had gone off on our van which is in storage.

Eventually we realised that the blinds covering the rooflights were snapping back and pulling the fly screens across, thereby setting off the alarm.

Now before leaving the van we put a sheet across the front seats as the PIR is at floor level and the problem is solved. If your dog is elderly and likely to stay in its basket whilst you are out perhaps screening an area off would be an answer?

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l am sure their two modes on most alarms where you can set it just for tilt alarm, at least on mine there is, from memory all you have to do is press the fob twice which will only alarm the tilt sensor, which will allow movement in the van. That's how it works on Sargent /// alarm System fitted to my AceFirestar.

Hope l am right will check the book again to make sure, maybe Andy or Ash of Swift can confirm.

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts