Caravan levelling

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone provide any guidance how to best level a twin axle caravan side to side.

I have the usual ramps but these are too long to fit betwen the 2 wheels, only allowing a ramp to be used on the "outward facing" wheel. I have looked for shorter ramps in accessory shops but without success.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I haven't looked at Rob's link but with my twin ax I simply place two ramps in line spaced per distance between axles and push/pull the first wheel over the first ramp and continue until level.

If its a slight slope and you are there for a short time then simply ramp one wheel up. It won't harm your suspension.

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hilda, I have been contemplating buying the Kwikee , could you tell me what the max side to side slope it will cope with ,it says on there website it copes with an 8% slope ,which I assume to be around 6 inches ,is that the case

Thanks

Baza

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Michael,I have pinched this idea from Steve in Leo,its quite simple and works well

You need

2 large Fiamma levelling blocks

Now measure the distance between the centres of you two wheels

,make note of this

Now what you need tro do is take that measurement and space your levelling blocks back to back and space them out to the measurement you first made , now gently drive or reverse up to you firts block and gently on to the next one and now you should be level.

Good Luck. Sir Roger

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Stop thief!!

I knew I should of gone to the patent office.

I find that those bright orange ramps made from recycled plastic are short enough to go between the axle 1 & 2.

ATB Steve.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Michael

I find the easy way and the cheep way is with wood 1/2" to 3/4" thick around 2ft long and 6to8" wide 4 pieces .Site van where you want it ,check for side to side level,if not much needed experience will tell you after a few times,lay 2 pieces of your wood alongside the wheels to be lifted ,reverse caravan about four foot ,move wood in to where wheels were with assistance drive forward untill both wheels that needed raising are both up on the wood check level job done.I did find a 1/2" piece of batten screwed at the end of 2 pieces of wood stop the top one moving forward if you need to use another piece on top.I painted mine with some old spare paint i had and while still wet sprinkled some dry sand on top so there is plenty of grip .I find alot of the fun is useing something you made yourself. Hope this helps

Bill

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael

Our is a variation on the above,we used a length of left over decking long enough for both wheels, screw a block of 3x2 at one end, and bevel the other end, you now have a ramp and block that will lift both wheels a small amount.If you need to raise the van higher place the plastic levellers on the top of your wooden ramp against the block. Also find if you drill hole in the wooden decking bit you can place a metal awning peg through it and it won't move when you drive on to it.

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi Michael,

I have another variation on a theme. I have a 2 metre length of aluminium planking, that is used for lorry floors. It is very light, and very strong (will hold up to 10te or more). I judge how much lift I need, put the aluminium on the ground with blocks of wood underneath to form a slope and back the van up the ramp until it is level. Since it is 2m long, the slope is quite gentle, and the difference in height of the two wheels not too great.

Obviously, one wheel is not as high as the other, but our caravan manufacturer says that this is not a problem. We were recently on a site for 4 days with one wheel not touching the ground, although I always try to avoid this, but again the manufacturer says this is OK. We have just part exchanged our previous caravan, on which I had used this technique and we had done over 40,000 miles in it during its 7 year life, with no ill affects whatsoever.

When the aluminium plank is not in use, it fits perfectly across the width of the boot, as it was cut to fit.

However, I am also interested in the Kwikee.

Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts