Caravan Levelling

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi Not sure where to post this question so will do it here, any advice on caravan levellers would be appreciated. As I mentioned this will be done by just myself so was thinking of a Milenco Aluminium leveller as oppose to driving up ramps.... :) anything to make my life easier :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't actually used one but the main drawbacks of the Millenco aluminium leveling device from what I saw was that they can sink in to softer ground and you need to be on the ground yourself to set it up which could be a problem in wet weather.
I'm slightly disabled and use ramps with no trouble myself but Click Here for a You Tube rundown on both systems

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You can also get a sort that you inflate once the van is driven on. Called Lock 'n' Level. Haven't used it myself but it gets good reviews.
mel

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We have a Milenco leveller and find it very good. It works with the AL-KO wheel lock as well. As Parksy said they will sink into soft ground so we have a metal plate from the back of an old dishwasher which goes down first in those cases with the leveller on top.

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an AL-KO wheel lock and lining this up co-incidentally with a level caravan by using ramps was, I found, messy. Level would be OK but Al-KO not aligned, or vice versa. For some years now I just used a length of 4" x 2" timber and pull the van up onto it. The ideal length can be calculated by overall wheel diam x Pi divided by wheel spokes plus a margin. This allows me to pull the van on it and pull forward until the wheel lock aligns.

Cheap or what?

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thank you I will take a look, I did think of the 'sinking' issue but wondered if that could be over come by maybe sitting the main part of the leveller on some hard plastic such as the tyre grip plates milenco do :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi I did see the LocknLevel but did wonder if the wheel may slip off as a 'balloon' type of thing sounded a bit unstable :unsure: :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Ahhh thanks Woodlands Camper I just read your reply after I mentioned the plastic plates to Parksy, that is good to know ;)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
BryanTheSnail said:
I have an AL-KO wheel lock and lining this up co-incidentally with a level caravan by using ramps was, I found, messy. Level would be OK but Al-KO not aligned, or vice versa. For some years now I just used a length of 4" x 2" timber and pull the van up onto it. The ideal length can be calculated by overall wheel diam x Pi divided by wheel spokes plus a margin. This allows me to pull the van on it and pull forward until the wheel lock aligns.

Cheap or what?

HaHa :) that does sound the cheaper option, but with my OH giving me non helpful 'advice' while he looks on, I would probably end up driving off the edge :lol: also if the slope was more or less than the 2" i would have a problem? :( I maybe completely wrong as I haven't done either yet :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the Milenco lifter and very rarley use it , it will sink into the ground , so you need another peice of wood to support it, and it doesn't really raise the van very much, probably it would be good if your on a permanant pitch or staying for a few weeks, but not for me at a 3/ 4 days rather use ramps.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have ramps and use them without problem, I drive up them rather than reverse then chock them securely. I also have a lock'n'level which is also brilliant. I used to have the milenco and if I can fault it for anything, it really does take some winding to get any real height. The inflatable bag works best for me because I position the van with the alko wheel lock, and then level it. On our last trip it was on the bag for three weeks which remained constant pressurewise and having a fairly large footprint it doesnt sink either.

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Milenco make a big thing of it being aluminium, but I am not a fan of aluminium. I'm suprised it can be strong enough; it must be an alloy like Duralumin. Even so, the warnings on the Milenco site not to use it on jagged stones (must we check iin the soil?) are a hint that steel would be a better choice in this application.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have the Milenco lifter and very rarley use it , it will sink into the ground , so you need another peice of wood to support it, and it doesn't really raise the van very much, probably it would be good if your on a permanant pitch or staying for a few weeks, but not for me at a 3/ 4 days rather use ramps.

Ooohh ok, getting differing opinions is really helpful, thank you...I was swaying towards the milenco, but I am now re-considering. :unsure:

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:
I have ramps and use them without problem, I drive up them rather than reverse then chock them securely. I also have a lock'n'level which is also brilliant. I used to have the milenco and if I can fault it for anything, it really does take some winding to get any real height. The inflatable bag works best for me because I position the van with the alko wheel lock, and then level it. On our last trip it was on the bag for three weeks which remained constant pressurewise and having a fairly large footprint it doesnt sink either.

I was really interested in the lock'n'level until I read that whilst one person was pumping up the bag his caravan slew around fell off the bag and bumped his car :eek:hmy: and he also commented about the concern of sharp stones from the gravel hard standing on some sites actually slicing small cuts into the bag. This tended to put me off, but now you've said it was fine for three weeks....I am now reconsidering. Thank you.

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi thank you all for your help, I have done further research after reading that 'Thingy' has a lock'n'level. I originally dismissed this after a warning review on another forum, but after watching videos and user comments, I think this is going to be what I was looking for, for ease of use single handed. :woohoo: :lol:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not quite what you asked but if you have a tablet there is a Caravan Leveler app that you can download for free which is very useful or you could just use a good old spirit level. I assume it works on phones as well but have not tried it.
Most sites we use are flat on a side to side basis though but I use a few blocks of wood for sideways leveling if need be but you do need someone to watch if you do that.

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Thingy said:
An advantage of pulling forward onto your ramps is it ensures the reversing mechanism on the brakes is reingaged.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think its been mentioned in any of the written replies but it was referred to in at least one of the links, and that is you should level the caravan usuing supports under the main wheel(s) and the jockey wheel adjustment, then the corner steadies are just to stop the caravan rocking or tipping when you move about in side the caravan. The steadies are not designed to lift the caravan, and you may well damage your caravan floor or the steady if you do lift it using them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof, as you say the steadies are there for a reason, so if the caravans rocking the neihbours don't come knocking. :p

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a lock n level for our Twin axle Delta RI, and it's great. I use a Michelin 12v compressor and it takes about 3mins to inflate both bags on the Twin version. I've used it at the Carsington CMC site for around 5 days and it never deflated. I was concerned at first due to the airbag taking the weight, deflating and then stressing the corner steadies as it it slowly deflates. I checked everyday both morning and evening and it was fine. You just need to make sure the valve cap is on securely otherwise air will escape. Until you unbox the lock n level, you don't really appreciate how robust, heavy and industrial it feels. With regards stones, I use those locking square sponge tiles under each and bag and check for stones. It's never been an issue. I don't understand how a caravan can roll off as each bag is much larger than the wheel and the tyre sinks inside the bag as inflates meaning it doesn't roll forward or backwards. If you require any photos or info, drop me a message. Chris

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Bwlch said:
Thingy said:
An advantage of pulling forward onto your ramps is it ensures the reversing mechanism on the brakes is reingaged.

I have been reading about ensuring you pull forward as reversing releases the brakes as you said, but one query I have as regards the Lock'n'Level, on the website video it says to reverse onto the L'n'L surely that will mean the brakes are disengaged when you start inflation, or does the Alko wheel lock prevent any movement? :)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I don't think its been mentioned in any of the written replies but it was referred to in at least one of the links, and that is you should level the caravan usuing supports under the main wheel(s) and the jockey wheel adjustment, then the corner steadies are just to stop the caravan rocking or tipping when you move about in side the caravan. The steadies are not designed to lift the caravan, and you may well damage your caravan floor or the steady if you do lift it using them.

Hi Thank you, I have been doing lots of research before picking up my caravan and watching a lot of VLOGS, to ensure I knew the correct procedure :lol: my concern was using the correct method and equipment to level the van on my own, without a second person assisting, but thank you for your concern, I definitely will not be using the steadies to level my van ;)

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
I have a lock n level for our Twin axle Delta RI, and it's great. I use a Michelin 12v compressor and it takes about 3mins to inflate both bags on the Twin version. I've used it at the Carsington CMC site for around 5 days and it never deflated. I was concerned at first due to the airbag taking the weight, deflating and then stressing the corner steadies as it it slowly deflates. I checked everyday both morning and evening and it was fine. You just need to make sure the valve cap is on securely otherwise air will escape. Until you unbox the lock n level, you don't really appreciate how robust, heavy and industrial it feels. With regards stones, I use those locking square sponge tiles under each and bag and check for stones. It's never been an issue. I don't understand how a caravan can roll off as each bag is much larger than the wheel and the tyre sinks inside the bag as inflates meaning it doesn't roll forward or backwards. If you require any photos or info, drop me a message. Chris

Ahhh this L'n'L is sounding better by the minute :) The guy I was referring to who had the 'accident' posted it on the 'Caravan Talk' forum and when I read it again, he was actually saying the L'n'L was a great piece of kit, he was just warning others of his 'oversight' of not engaging the brake before inflating :blush: :lol: .
The foam locking tiles sound like a good idea and they will weigh next to nothing, as I have quite a low payload as I opted to forsake 50kg to have the van plated 26kg under the 1500kg limited my car can tow. ;)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
JanBn said:
I have been reading about ensuring you pull forward as reversing releases the brakes as you said, but one query I have as regards the Lock'n'Level, on the website video it says to reverse onto the L'n'L surely that will mean the brakes are disengaged when you start inflation, or does the Alko wheel lock prevent any movement? :)

Please note that you have it wrong - reversing will apply the brakes (the same effect when towing and the car slows down thus causing the overrun brakes to apply). Going forward releases the brakes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts