Caravan lights

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Whilst towing the van home from my last trip, the caravan lights failed, intermittantly it seemed, nearly every time there was a vehicle behind (typical!). Anyhow, we've checked all bulbs and connections on the car and caravan and there seems to be nothing wrong, yet still the lights fail! The brake lights, when they do work, are very dim, the tail lights dim when the stop lights are used, indicating, we think a short, yet we are unable to find one, and the indicators work intermittantly. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong and if so, how we may be able to fix it, please?

Carol

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi Carol.

With the eception dim lights, I would try inserting a screwdriver between each + on the male connecters on both the tow hitch plug and socket. Its something I do first whenever I have an electrics problem as the connectors get pressed tighter with use and make a poorer connection.

Do not over force them, Just enough to widen the connection a little. The dim lights could be poor connection from the same thing. I would commend it as a starting point.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carol.

With the eception dim lights, I would try inserting a screwdriver between each + on the male connecters on both the tow hitch plug and socket. Its something I do first whenever I have an electrics problem as the connectors get pressed tighter with use and make a poorer connection.

Do not over force them, Just enough to widen the connection a little. The dim lights could be poor connection from the same thing. I would commend it as a starting point.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike
Thanks, Mike. Will give it a go and let you know if it works.

Carol

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Carol,

You will of course switch off all electrical supply before any tests with screw drivers.

If you go to the following link, you will see a helpfull chart on 12N & 12S Plugs. Your problem sounds like a bad earth connection which is pin 3 White wire on 12N and pin the same on the 12S connection,

Best of Luck, Pop.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Carol,

You will of course switch off all electrical supply before any tests with screw drivers.

If you go to the following link, you will see a helpfull chart on 12N & 12S Plugs. Your problem sounds like a bad earth connection which is pin 3 White wire on 12N and pin the same on the 12S connection,

Best of Luck, Pop.
Sorry forgot to add the link:

www.stowford.co.uk/faultfinder/electrics/towingplugs.asp

Pop

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Faulty earth connection is the most likely cause.

Earth circuits are - Pin 3 of the 12N, pins 3 + 7 for the 12S.

Check out these circuits in both car and caravan for continuity.

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Carol,

Best of Luck, Pop.
Pop.

Thank you for the useful link! Will use the info and look at it again.Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Carol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts