Caravan Log Books

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
After having a moan about the 'search' facility in the 'Our Website' category, I have now, quite by accident, found my old 'Caravan Log' thread!

I have just done an annual review in my log book, just to frighten myself, and see how much this passion for caravanning is actually costing me!

Actually, the main purpose of the review was to count the number of outings I'd had last year:

Six outings, spread over 25 nights. This doesn't sound like a massive use of my caravan, however I was out of action for three months of the year following major surgery in March, so taking that into consideration that's not bad. I'm sure many of our Forumites could exceed these figures considerably!

The rest of the review concerned total costs of my caravanning, so I felt I had to factor in the actual cost of the caravan (changed model last January) as well as insurance, servicing, and of course site fees.The final figure was a bit scary, especially as I didn't include the cost of any accessories I'd bought, or depreciation costs. On the positive side, I then compared the sum I'd paid for the Gobur to that I may have had to pay for a motorhome, had I gone down that route. (Bearing in mind I then had to include the value of my towing vehicle) I must say, that cheered me up considerably!

Does it all matter? Not really, as long as I can continue to live within my means. Being on a tight budget just means I have to ensure I have enough money to keep on top of all the bills as well as indulging my love of travel. Lots of people have expensive hobbies; caravanning is mine! At least the price of petrol has reduced considerably over the year, meaning that, if it stays at this more affordable level I may be able to venture a bit further afield this year - with obligatory sticker reading "Sorry kids, I'm spending your inheritance!"

Caravanning - it's great, isn't it!? Happy holidays everyone, and b****r the expense!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
"She" has just done our last years (2014) 'totting up'. Lowest years nights for a lot of years, - 114. (139 previous year ,) that was also down. Wrong trend? And don't know why? Towing miles was 4877, (up on 3852 - 2013) Up on miles, probably 'cos we did 2500 miles touring Scotland. (We thought before we needed passports!) Our plans are a bit more 'fluid' this year, but will probably give Cornwall a good dose of looking at again, as it's a few years since we were there, and with fuel prices where they are and a chance of even cheaper, shall do a few miles again, as 800 miles round trip without the touring. Start next week with our start for 2015, - Derbyshire & York
. Happy new years touring

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Provided you're living within your means, as I'm sure you are, it doesn't/shouldn't matter to anyone else what the relative spending on any one household category is - the important thing is to prioritize for YOU.

We spend about 25% of our income on motoring, including towing fuel, and 20% on caravanning - the spend on car will go up next time as I'm going to indulge myself.

As well as "I'm spending the kids' inheritance" sticker I want one that says "I'm also spending our future care home fees" because they take their cut before the kids do.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Quote - "I'm also spending our future care home fees " because they take their cut before the kids do.
Only problem is you don't know when that is! - If I did I'd be a penny above the limit the day before I was being collected!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Quote - "I'm also spending our future care home fees " because they take their cut before the kids do.
Only problem is you don't know when that is! - If I did I'd be a penny above the limit the day before I was being collected!

The problem is that they can take all of your savings and all but £23,000 of your home - it's a frightening prospect when you've worked your butt off to become financially secure that your kids might see little of it.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
RogerL said:
Gabsgrandad said:

The problem is that they can take all of your savings and all but £23,000 of your home - it's a frightening prospect when you've worked your butt off to become financially secure that your kids might see little of it.

Well, I have no intention of going into care - except that of the angels! I've told my kids that if I become senile/infirm/both, that they are to cart me off to Gravitas, in Switzerland, and have me put down!

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Good morning CyberCynth, hope you're well?

Thanks for starting such an interesting topic, it's got people talking! I would like to use this as a letter in the next issue if you don't mind? Would be interesting to hear other readers feedback who don't use the forum. Is this OK?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
Gabsgrandad said:

Tell me about it, my Dad didn't have any savings but had a small bungalow, he was in a home for 2 years as he needed 24hr care, cost was £800 a week ( you do the maths!!)
They recoup the money after you sell the property.
I didnt want the money , just miffed that he worked all his life and spent wisely he ended up giving it back , whereas someone who spent it all got it all paid for !!
My savings will be spread around and my property in my children's names

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
just miffed that he worked all his life and spent wisely he ended up giving it back , whereas someone who spent it all got it all paid for !!

Miffed? I'm absolutely livid at such unfairness

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My mum and her sister live in identical bungalows across the lane.
Dad left mum financially secure. My uncle left my aunt destitute.
She gets everything free , mum pays. Yes miffed.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
spardoe said:
Good morning CyberCynth, hope you're well?

Thanks for starting such an interesting topic, it's got people talking! I would like to use this as a letter in the next issue if you don't mind? Would be interesting to hear other readers feedback who don't use the forum. Is this OK?

Ha ha! Had to laugh when you asked how I was this morning! Thought you knew something I didn't - No Stacie, I haven't been carted off yet!!!

I'm quite happy for you to use this thread in a letter for the magazine. It's certainly prompted some interesting posts, hasn't it?

Thanks,
Cynth.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
MichaelE said:
RogerL said:
Gabsgrandad said:

Tell me about it, my Dad didn't have any savings but had a small bungalow, he was in a home for 2 years as he needed 24hr care, cost was £800 a week ( you do the maths!!)
I didnt want the money , just miffed that he worked all his life and spent wisely he ended up giving it back , whereas someone who spent it all got it all paid for !!

Michael, you have to be careful about the timing of putting your property in your childrens' names. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if the property has been in your childrens' names for less than 7 years up until the time you need care, the authorities can still claim on it for your care, should you be unfortunate enough to need it. It may be an idea to check with C.A.B.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
You are right CyberCynth......that whole subject is very complicated for both generations ........parents or children.
My wife is a pensioner but also the daughter of her 103 year old father.
Several hundreds of thousands of pounds have gone in his care home fees which are very difficult to avoid if the person needing care has assets.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
CyberCynth said:
MichaelE said:
RogerL said:
Gabsgrandad said:

Michael, you have to be careful about the timing of putting your property in your childrens' names. Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if the property has been in your childrens' names for less than 7 years up until the time you need care, the authorities can still claim on it for your care, should you be unfortunate enough to need it. It may be an idea to check with C.A.B.

Yes i had read that too, it has increased in the last year or 2 i believe?
It will be done in plenty of time , im only 47 at the mo.

Out of interest what would they do if you have split ownership?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The correct "split" of your main property is important for a number of issues, inheritance tax and care home fees - a solicitor can advise and enact the appropriate conveyance and/or will but it's simple enough for husband and wife to ensure that their half of the property goes directly to the beneficiaries but with full "living rights" for the remaining spouse.

Don't delay doing that because you're young - once done any care home fees can only accumulate against the half relating to the person involved and don't become payable until after the surviving spouse's death.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
MichaelE wrote:- "Yes i had read that too, it has increased in the last year or 2 i believe?
It will be done in plenty of time , im only 47 at the mo."

The only thing wrong with that philosophy is 'How do you know' when you're going?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
MichaelE wrote:- "Yes i had read that too, it has increased in the last year or 2 i believe?
It will be done in plenty of time , im only 47 at the mo."

The only thing wrong with that philosophy is 'How do you know' when you're going?
Yes, it's far too easy to put off something like that.
For historical reasons, our house was in my sole name and I never got round to altering it after we got married, made even less important by changes to the Married Womans Property Act (or whatever it's called). I was lying in the local Cardiac Care Unit thinking about all the things that would need doing if I popped my clogs, when I resolved to get things in order especially as it would be just as complex and messy the other way round.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Changing the subject back to logging costs: I note, with a degree of glee, that the price of petrol has been reduced yet again. In Sainsbury's, Melksham it's now £107.9p per litre. But why is it that the price varies so much regionally? The oil companies will say that it depends on how far your town is from the nearest oil refinery. I must admit, when I lived in Newbury and had to pay through the nose for fuel, I always got the impression that the oil companies charged what they liked, assuming that Newbury folk were a moneyed variety of peoples. (I wish!) I note that the fuel in Bristol is almost always at least 2p per litre cheaper than I can buy it in Melksham. Anyone else have any thoughts on price comparisons?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think the regional differences have become less with the fall in prices. I also think the main reason for differences is supply & demand - Asda have no trouble with a single national price, other supermarket chains and local garages near to an Asda will be close to Asda prices even if not matching them - Tesco is notorious for having high fuel prices if there's no local competition.

I guess I'm lucky - our town has an Asda and Sainsbury's opposite with a Morrisons not far away and the regional fuel depot is only about 10 miles away - in reality we're about as far from a refinery as you can get in the UK but the fuel depot is supplied by underground pipeline, part of the UK Oil Pipeline network.

Right now, Asda diesel is 112.7 and petrol is 105.7 - with Sainsbury's 0.2 more and Morrisons 1.2 more.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Trevormc said:
Morrisons we have 2 close by. the nearest is 1p more that the other that is 1½ miles away.

Trevor

Why??? I would be tempted to contact Morrison's and ask the question. After all, they're doing nothing for the economy, or for encouraging people to be green, as all the locals will travel to the cheaper filling station.

By the way, folks, have you seen a reduction in retail prices since the price of fuel went down?! The market is quick enough to raise them when the cost of fuel goes up, saying they have to pass on costs to the consumer. Where's the FALL in retail prices now that fuel is so much cheaper?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Morning all. Most fuel pumps have notices on them to say that they cannot supply less than two litres.
So, suppose I put on my stroppy head ( a very unusual occurrence, I might add!), and put two litres in my tank, at 112.7 per litre. Total cost 225.4p.
A) how do I pay 225.4p?
B) how do they give me change?
I might just try it one day, ju8st for a laugh.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
Morning all. Most fuel pumps have notices on them to say that they cannot supply less than two litres.
So, suppose I put on my stroppy head ( a very unusual occurrence, I might add!), and put two litres in my tank, at 112.7 per litre. Total cost 225.4p.
A) how do I pay 225.4p?
B) how do they give me change?
I might just try it one day, ju8st for a laugh.
The minimum delivery is to do with the movement of the measuring meter, they would charge you £2.25 , rounding down or up

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If i could get back to log books ? Yes I keep one but only for the stuff about sites, the people we meet, the weather, the food and the side effects of current affairs e.g French farmers port blockades on my return trip.
I started trying to log everything but then started to wonder who (including me) was going to be in anyway interested in years to come, whereas Mount Ventoux in September moonlight will always be memorable.
An increasingly useful function as years go by is to note down names of people we meet and a little bit about them and our mutual conversation so as not to be too embarrassed when meeting them again the next year.
The back pages in the log books are used for 'to do' lists for caravan and car and these do mke quite interesting reminders of items which seem to reoccur all too regularly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts