Caravan MOT's

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I was speaking to a chap on a certain stand at the NEC Caravan show earlier this year who was telling me that the government were planning on introducing an 'MOT' test for caravans in the near future.

Whilst I personally think it would be an excellent idea, what is the general concensus on this subject and can anybody shed any more light on these plans???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While I can recognise the safety aspect of caravan MOTs, personally I think it is just another money making scheme. Along with your MOTs you'll end up having to register it (it's own number plates) and road tax it too. Then you will get the split, twin axles costing more than singles.

I've seen the future, it ain't Orange.....

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i think all caravans should have some documentation to say they have been serviced once a year or at least every 2 years , i have seen some going down the motorway with nearly flat tyres ,buckled wheels ,lights not working ,no number plates ,i have seen some on a season pitch leave at the end of year dont do any checks at all and drive straight off

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How about a test, as a condition for sale. Pretty much like you would have a survey done on your house. Not a perfect solution, but a less cynical one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where would you get the caravan MOT'd? The caravan industry currently couldn't do it, they can barely service the vans they sell. i also wonder at their competencies having seen some of their workmanship. Maybe it would open up the chassis service / lights etc to the general garage trade which may ( pigs flying) have an effect on the price. A caravan is a very basic road vehicle which is not complicated to keep in a roadworthy condition.

I think Lutz said an annual TUV inspection is mandatory in Germany together with an annual gas check / certification. It may be interesting if he could give the price for this annual check?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There are moves in Brussells to unify speed limits throughout Europe. Given that Germany already has testing for Tempo 100kph (62mph) it's likely that a unified caravan annual test is introduced at the same time.

I do hope that independent test centres are set up and not rely on the caravan dealers.

Compared to the work involved in a car MOT, a single axle caravan test would be more straightforward - no engine testing, more visible structure and half the suspension - so a fee of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If a MOT is brought in it should apply to all trailers above a certain laden weight. I live by the by the sea and there are plenty of boats that are launched by driving the trailer down the slipway untill the wheels are submerged - will these be subject to a MOT?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As much as safety is important, a Caravan MOT will only be another financial rip off of the motorist. You are legally obliged to tow a legal roadworthy caravan and that should be good enough for a non motorized vehicle.

Or are we to be taken over by every euro whim!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As much as safety is important, a Caravan MOT will only be another financial rip off of the motorist. You are legally obliged to tow a legal roadworthy caravan and that should be good enough for a non motorized vehicle.

Or are we to be taken over by every euro whim!
I agree, to set up a bureaucracy around this is totally disproportionate - so it will probably happen.

The EU and our own politicians have completely lost the plot in my opinion - a friend of mine is incredulous that he will be forced, from July, to have a compliant 'No Smoking' sign at the entrance to his offices or face a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I see it, if my van is regularly serviced then why the hell should it be M.O.Td as well. I pay for for all the checks needed to enable safe tavelling and shouldnt need to pay twice.A service document should qualify as proof. What next, road tax, over-height trailer tax, certain length tax, weight tax. Once it starts there will be no end to new laws. No Thanks.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Personally, we tow a 25 year old caravan and probably as such we should be frightened about road worthyness tests.

But we are not, because every year without fail I carry out a routine inspection and service of all the road gear and the condition of the gas/water systems etc. I also check tyre condition monthly and generally watch how the old girl performs.

Now while I agree it would be another goverment rip off, I do think it would increase the safety factor of towing. You see, we have all seen trailers of all types being towed on the roads that realy belong on the scrap heap. Farm and boat trailers being the worst. I guess 75% of boat trailers that have brakes, don't have them working after 3 years of dunking in the sea and farmers haven't found a strong enough piece of bailer twine to do the job yet.

So long as your trailer is kept in a servicable condition you have nothing to worry about except the cost of the test!!!

Steve L.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
when mot tests are introduced for trailers and there is little doubt that they will as any idea from europe gets on the statute book eventually there will of course be exemptions and farm trailers will probably be one

it's true of course that a well mantained van should pass any test introduced but for how long as the tests will undoubtably get stiffer as time goes by like rolling brake test and fixtures and fittings and the cost will rise accordingly

when tests for cars were introduced the test was for brakes lights and steering only, thats why there are three triangles on the mot sign but very soon other things were included in the test

and so it will be with trailers most small boat trailes and camping trailes dont have brakes because they come in at under 650kg so these will get an exemption

vans however will not and the full test will apply and will I suspect include things like gas equipment, jockey wheel, tyre tread thickness, body work, stablisers ect.

prophet of doom not really just a oldish guy with a good memory

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A caravan "MOT" would be a very limited affair, in my view.

With cars, which you really cannot use as a comparison, the extra items brought into the test over years are all to do with construction and use, vehicle mounting points, such as shock absorber mountings, and items wich will significantly affect the roadholding and safety of the occupants.

Caravans on the other hand have relatively few points to check regarding roadworthiness, wheels and bearings, body to chassis fixings and lights.

The idea of a test station being able to determine the effeciveness of a stabiliser is not something they could do, unless is just an inspection, as there is no requirement to have a stabiliser.

As for the jockey wheel, again , it is a non road contact piece of equipment which is only used for very limited purposes, mostly for levelling on site and of course moving the van off the tow vehicle.

Unless the rules change, which may happen, the gas system on a touring carvan, privately owned and not hired out as part of a business is exempt from CORGI regs, so just a gas leak test would be all that a test could legally consist of, but even that would be questionable as all the systems in a van are deemed as "plug in "systems which are not, or do not have to be, a permanent fitting.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There must be some vast differences between here and Germany regarding these tests.

From an M.O.T point, the test is only relevant "at the time of the test", which gives no guarantee that it will still pass, or be roadworthy even 10 minutes after!!

To have a situation which places the legal implications of roadworthiness on a complete stranger, not in control of the vehicle and not able to control what happens to it after the test is somewhat ludicrous.

Take a possible scenario, test done, all ok, van leaves tester and travels to its new destination, over rough roads which cause something to move and ends up creating a gas leak, who is responsible for that? the tester for not knowing in advance?

Or...van leaves test centre, down the road a tyre shreds, who is to blame? if the tyre looked ok at the test?

I would not want to be a TUV tester in Germany,,,,,thanks.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
thanks lutz for your intersting reply it certainly gives us here in the uk something to think about and on the face of it would make my last comments seem not too wide of the mark

two questions though do all trailers in germany have to be tested in the same way or are there exemptions say light weight non braked camping trailers and if a towbar is fitted to a vehicle after market who is responsible for its compliance for testing the manufacturer of the bar or the fitter

thanks colin

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even unbraked trailers, those under 750kg, still have to be tested, though obviously only for everything else other than braking performance. There are no exemptions for anything which is used on public roads.

In case of after market fitment of a towbar, the T

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts