Caravan movers slipping on a slope

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
I had an issue with my rollers silpping an external dimple type so ordered and applied one of the re gritting kits for gritted rollers worked a treat and easy to apply?

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Only if miss set up. The system set up correctly ought to work but as stated not with as effective performance as from rolling forward.

With the brakes correctly set using the handbrake on and off with the van going backwards the brakes can throw the auto reverse mechanism (this was Al-Ko’s head tech that told me) they also said the van isn’t deemed parked until the handbrake is in the full up position, both wheels are then locked.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Prof , you have read the post wrong, again, The QUATTRO, is the make, the information given is fully clear, you have jumped the gun, thinking it is for a twin axle.
I tried to check the wheel and tyre size, and it is 215/70/15C , which is not a common size to the UK. But obviously suitable for such a heavy caravan.
It's a few years now since is was regularly immersed in caravans and seeing all the new models, so I don't have the extent of knowledge to instantly know which models are single axle or twin axles.

Equally I no longer instantly look up the details of every van that's mentioned.

In this case I didn't do that bit of home work because of the information supplied by the poster actually seemed to point to the caravan being a TA by referencing the Australian mover site for a TA.

Regardless of my mistake in this instance the content of my post was still mostly relevant, especially concerning manoeuvring safety, and the braking system.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
I personally would not take my caravan backwards down a slope like you describe.
There is much safer and better control if you take your caravan down forwards on the mover with the caravan's hand brake readily to hand.
Interesting discussion about the handbrake potentially failing in this situation. My last van had an auto reverse mechanism also but was unaware of this potential problem until now.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Interesting discussion about the handbrake potentially failing in this situation. My last van had an auto reverse mechanism also but was unaware of this potential problem until now.
Very interesting indeed. There is no way I would have thought to manually move a caravan down hill nose first as it means standing in front of it to operate the handbrake.

TRENDING THREADS