caravan movers

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello,its come to me that quite a few caravans are equipped with motor movers of one kind or another after reading posts and visually seeing them fitted at sites we visit during the year.
I'd like to know if possible please what the reasons are for choosing that particular type of mover fitted to your pride and joy.
For example,do people have a preference between say an "A" frame type and maybe an "Underslung" type,and for what reason?
Thanks for your help.seth

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've got an E-go - underslung type on a single axle van. We needed it because occasionally my partner has a bad back and moving the caravan manually is not an option. We did have a look at almost every make and model at the caravan show before choosing the E-go. We chose it because it was well engineered (OH is an engineer and knows what he's looking at), the price was good, fitting instructions we simple - we fitted it ourselves, and we got a good deal at the Caravan Show. It works extremely well - especially now that I'm in charge of the remote!
The A frame movers don't seem to work as well - which is why you see lots of them for sale on ebay/similar. You very rarely see the underslung type for sale second hand - they're either sold as an addition with the van, or removed to be installed on a replacement van.

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I have a Royal mover fitted to my van which I purchased at the February NEC show earleir this year. I chose the Royal as the vast majority of movers (in my opionion) all did the same job roughly, but what made me make my decision was the attitude of the 'salesmen' on the stands.
I am a single mum who caravans with my daughter - I tow my van myself without assistance and did get slightly annoyed when one salesman asked if I wanted to 'wait until my better half was there so he could go into the technical side of things' Needless to say, they didn't get my business.
I spent the day gathering information on the various movers available, prices, specification etc. I then went for a well-deserved coffee and mulled it all over taking into consideration the salesmen's attitude and helpfulness as I think it says alot about the company on a whole, especially any after sales assistance you may need.
The guys on the Royal stand were great - really helpful and answered everything that I asked and more. Whats more, they were one of the cheapest also so real value for money all round!
Just my opinion - I buy my cars the same way and that's why I have bought my last 3 cars from the same dealership!

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi SethWe had an underslung E-GO fitted on our single axle van at the start of last year. It was fitted at our home in about 3 hours and we received full instructions and a demo and a practice drive, the cost was about £720. The wife was'ent very pleased i had spent anouther lot of cash untill she tried it out, i never get a go now as she is out of the car with the controler before i get my seat belt off.The best money i have ever spent, no messing about just wind the motors in with the battery drill and of you go, hitchin up is a breeze, no arguments about seeing me back into position just drive the van to the car and lower onto hitch.I can gaurantee you will not regret it.
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Seth,

The biggest concern with a frame is not will it pull or push the caravan, but will it stop or hold the caravan on a slope. A frame movers can only muster about the same level of grip as a human mover.

The axle mounted or as you describe the under slung movers achieve far much more grip, and thus are more likely to be able to control the caravan on a slope.

Other differences, most A frame movers have to be removed for towing, where do you put them, and can you manage their weight?

Axle movers are always there.

The two biggest down sides of the axle movers is the cost and their weight.
Most people who have a mover of either type usually wonder how they managed before. Those who sell A frame movers are usually upgrading to an axle mover.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hitch mount mover is only really any good on a hard drive way or paving. As above, Little Grip.
Have yet to work out why so many people buy movers. I read here that you must have a mover on a twin axle caravan, We never had one before and haven't found the need this year.
It's £750 plus in our pockets and 35+ kilo's saved for us to carry what we need and less to go wrong.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Maybe, as you get older, and your joints start to creak, and then groan, and then go completely - and you're in agony for a fortnight and can't drive, so have to stay in France (boo hoo) for an extra week - then you'll realise why you might need a mover.
Also, I used to be fairly(!) particular about where the van was sited on a pitch - in the far corner, front pointing this way, table here, room at the back - and I can achieve this easily at the push of a button! Ours cost £599 and we fitted it outselves, and believe me it's worth every penny - even to avoid the arguments!
I take control of the mover, and I can have the van just exactly where I want it, and it takes seconds to get it there - meanwhile OH can fill the aquaroll and chat to everyone around - because leaving a woman in charge of the remote leads to comments.............!!!
Don't knock it until you've tried it - or until you have to try it because you've got an impossible to manoeuvre on to pitch, on an uphill slope, with an overhanging tree, a burning smell from your clutch, wet grass, and absolutely no-one else to help!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We can’t get our van in or out of its storage garage from/to the location where we can couple up; the lane is physically too narrow to turn within. So using a car to move it is out of the question, it either has to be manhandled or use a mover. As our drive involves a hump with one in fourteen slopes then these days logic says a mover of sorts is needed. This situation also dictates we can only sensibly have single axle vans.
For years we used a Mr Shifta, a self powered “tractor” that coupled via the tow hitch. This was absolutely excellent with the then lighter [1000kg] and shorter caravan but on changing to a heavier [1700kg] and longer van we had issues. First, the extra length it added to the unit meant it could not be left coupled throughout the manoeuvre. In coming in it had to be used up to the turning place, uncoupled and the van then manually turned and pushed far enough to get space to recouple before using it over the hump; and the reverse when leaving. This was not in itself with the surfaces there a physically demanding problem but extra hassle. Secondly and this was the “killer” deficiency, after coming over the hump on a wet surface the traction grip was inadequate and it could not control the van running away downhill. It was always a matter of great concern on wet days.
By then the available technology had altered and we changed to a Reich Comfort chassis mounted unit; this coped with that vans 1700kgs, the length and the “runaway” issues. Why Reich; primarily because it could be mounted aft of the wheels where the chassis rail was less deep and therefore the unit was mounted higher but it was also the van makers and Reich’s preferred location. Also it seemed logical to me from a vulnerability standpoint that if we hit anything then the wheel rolling over it rather than the mover impacting and possibly being forced into the wheel made sense. Of the then available products the Reich was the better designed, better made and used motor/gearbox units from a British company I had good professional dealings with rather than units sourced from the Far East. It proved excellent.
On changing to a heavier 1900kg and even longer van the advice I got talking with several makers was the only viable unit at that time for the weight of the van and the slope involved was a Powrtouch HD. So this was fitted and again on this van it was able to be located aft of the wheels. Up to now, three years down the line, despite several initial points of technical concern I have to say its been fine and does what it was sold to do well.
If there today I would opt for the integrated, factory installed Alko unit, despite its very high cost.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
If a mover is the only option for accessing storage fine.
We're both retired and also particular about where we pitch up and more than are fair share of health problems
Towed with auto in the past and our new tug is 4wd auto and has no problem with slopes or wet grass or smoking clutches
smiley-wink.gif

With previous outfits before and since van mounted movers came along we never needed anything more than the tow car and this year with our new outfit we still haven't missed having a mover and that includes reversing the van halfway around a small site and
parking it to one side behind a tree to allow for the Awing
smiley-cool.gif

This year we've also experienced a long wait being in a line of vehicles headed by a large farm tractor and trailer with a clutz with a motor mover having to unhitch and motor mover reverse the van back along a narrowish country road to the site. With motor mover the couple couldn't reverse
smiley-cry.gif
Plenty of other trailers don't have motor movers and drivers seem to cope OK
smiley-surprised.gif
Never seen IforW with a mover.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Can you get away with only 2 motors on a twin axle caravan instead of 4?

I heard some people say you can wind the jocket wheel up so that the front 2 wheels are slightly off the ground.

Any thoughts?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Val A. said:
Maybe, as you get older, and your joints start to creak, and then groan, and then go completely - and you're in agony for a fortnight and can't drive then you'll realise why you might need a mover.
I can have the van just exactly where I want it, and it takes seconds to get it there - meanwhile OH can fill the aquaroll and chat to everyone around - because leaving a woman in charge of the remote leads to comments.............!!!
Don't knock it until you've tried it - or until you have to try it because you've got an impossible to manoeuvre on to pitch, on an uphill slope, with an overhanging tree, a burning smell from your clutch, wet grass, and absolutely no-one else to help!

Well said Val.
Here is another with back problems which went again whilst at Englethwaite Hall a few weeks ago. It caused us to miss Park Coppice but another week at Englethwaite wasn't to be moaned about, one of our favourite sites.
Also I can reverse the van but not to get it spot on, marker to the centre of the van, so the mover helps with not having to push the van and do my back in. I look at it as a kind of insurance.
Another point is I need a mover to keep my van at home on my drive which slopes downhill at a diagonal. The drive is close to a wall but with the mover I can park it first time inch perfect. I also pitch it A-frame first to deter thieves.
I must add that I've never had to use the mover yet when hitching up onsite.
The mover is the best thing we've bought for the caravan and is worth every penny. We bought a PowrTouch after the many, many favourable comments on this forum and after having problems with the Truma we had before.
Without it I couldn't keep my caravan at home. I suppose it's the macho coming out that says they don't ever need one
smiley-wink.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
smiley-cool.gif
smiley-cool.gif
Hi Seth
The constant stream of second hand A frame movers advertised tells the story.
smiley-laughing.gif

If you have a TA or a heavy SA then imo a good mover , eg powrtouch, is essential. We often stay at sites where it is preferable to park in nose first to enjoy the open country and sea views, eg Trewethett Farm, Scourie, Ardmair Point, Berwick Upon Tweed to name a few.
The mover also helps me to locate the Al-ko wheel locks using the unofficial cheat method
smiley-wink.gif

Without doubt the best piece of kit we have bought
smiley-cool.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi craigstaiano,

The drag that the second axle creates when turning a TA is the major problem for manoeuvring TA caravans by hand or indeed with motor movers.

It is the prime reason that the majority of motor mover manufactures choose to go down the twin set of movers rather than try to rely on just one pair.

The ability of the jockey wheel to lift the front axle and wheels of TA is mainly dependant on the distance between the jockey wheel and the rear axle of the caravan. The longer it is the less the front axle will lift.

Even where the front axle can be lifted enough to make manoeuvring possible, it only needs the ground to be uneven to take away any advantage that has been generated, so relying on the jockey wheel alone may be defeated by the ground.

I do know that some mover manufacturers did considerable experimentation to see if a single mover could be realistically manufactured to work on a TA, but the lack of their appearance on the market suggests they were not able to satisfy themselves of the performance or reliability of the arrangement.
Some people have managed to fit a single mover working a twin axle caravan, but in doing so you may invalidate any warranty. You must check with the manufacture or supplier of the mover first.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a twin axle with a single wheel mover from truma and it copes very well. Of course it is not like a single axle operation as it will not turn on its own axle. So when setting up one must consider the mover as a towing vehicle by which I mean position the tow car with the caravan unhitch and position with the mover.

If that is not possible then first look where you want to place the caravan imagine how you would do it with a tow car how many manoeuvres and then do it with the mover.

i have placed my caravan in some very tight situations and had no trouble whatsoever even though it is a single mover on a twin axle if you look at the truma site it is a mover made for such an application

Regards

John

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello people, I.d like to say a big thankyou to you all for your comments, views and opinoins.They,ve been a great help.Im actually not in the market for a mover as ive no real need for one currently.My questions where aimed at seeing what todays trends are from a business point of view.This forum which is good, seemed a good place to get some good firsthand feedback. Thanks all again seth.

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
" I suppose it's the macho coming out that says they don't ever need one"

If there is no other way tan using a mover to store a caravan, then mover is the way to go.
For those of us who can reverse and don't have to fit the caravan though a maze to it's parking home we see no use for a mover.
We've parked our caravans up steep slopes into terraced hedged pitches in the past and down rocky driveways in Ireland all without a mover or getting a hernia or a bad back.
I can't understand the cheap shot "macho" comment from the Lord. My wife tows and parks our caravan as well, we made a joint choice re not wasting money on a mover.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Easyvanner said:
" I suppose it's the macho coming out that says they don't ever need one"

If there is no other way tan using a mover to store a caravan, then mover is the way to go.
For those of us who can reverse and don't have to fit the caravan though a maze to it's parking home we see no use for a mover.
We've parked our caravans up steep slopes into terraced hedged pitches in the past and down rocky driveways in Ireland all without a mover or getting a hernia or a bad back.
I can't understand the cheap shot "macho" comment from the Lord. My wife tows and parks our caravan as well, we made a joint choice re not wasting money on a mover.

I see little point in wearing the clutch out any quicker than necessary, so i would always advise the use of a mover, its the smart thing to do.

Obviously not everyone can stretch to the cost of a mover, or carry another 35kg of ballast.

For those people its learn to reverse or push?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Easyvanner said:
This year we've also experienced a long wait being in a line of vehicles headed by a large farm tractor and trailer with a clutz with a motor mover having to unhitch and motor mover reverse the van back along a narrowish country road to the site. With motor mover the couple couldn't reverse
smiley-cry.gif

Sorry Easyvanner but my remark wasn't meant to be a cheap shot but to highlight that you made two posts regarding you can reverse and don't need a mover despite having health problems. You also made a cheap shot about someone who isn't in a position to answer the accusations in your post
smiley-wink.gif

In your reply "we made a joint choice re not wasting money on a mover" it also came over that those who do make the choice of a mover are wasting their money
smiley-surprised.gif

Apologies if you didn't mean it to read like that but that's how it came over.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Whilst it might be possible to reverse into position on many sites, certainly in Britain, in France where we do most of our caravanning, people choose to park their vans in a variety of different orientations - across the back of the pitch, across the front, front end in first, and even diagonally. It certainly wouldn't be possible to reverse into those positions and the caravan would have to be manhandled. It wouldn't matter how good you or your tow car were at reversing.
IMG_2092.jpg

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Up to 2006 we caravanned in France for over 20 years and never needed a mover. Parking nose in is your choice, you dont have to!
Last year we borrowed two caravans and neither had a mover, our Dutch pals German van weighs in at about 1900 kg and they only caravan on the continent.
When looking at caravans to buy for this year we detected more interest from caravan salesman in selling us the extra's including movers as soon as they realised we were in the market for a largish caravan. I assume dealers make good money on movers and push the idea that everyone needs one.
We have no children to travel with, the obligatory flat screen TV that's the present day fashion would be a waste of time the same as a sat dish as we never really bother with TV when caravanning.
We don't use a microwave, and have no interest in buying a caravan with one.
We've also experienced caravan air conditioning and found it more trouble than it was worth. Some sites don't even have the ampage for it and it's an annoying noise in the van and can be for felllow campers.
Hence TV - Sat Dish- Microwave and Aicon are a waste of money to us the same as a mover.
We think that we've sited 18 or 19 times this year and haven't needed a mover. If we had, it might have been used for 30 to 40 minutes maximum over all the weeks we've has away.
I don't know who I've slighted in suggesting that some with movers can't reverse when we've been told by motor users and caravan salesman that a lot of people buy them because of reversing issues.
Since returning to caravanning last year and buying another this year we only remember seeing 3 people using movers.
Also a new caravanner who gets sold in to "you must have a mover" is probably never likely to get very good at reversing as per the guy who had to unhitch his van.
If a mover is your only option "GO FOR IT" we just don't buy in to it's a "must have" even with a twin axle or very large caravan.
We're not loaded and not young. £750 + is a lot of money to us on ensions when we have no issues with parking up at home and have never needed a mover in all our previous years of caravaning.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
seth said:
Hello,its come to me that quite a few caravans are equipped with motor movers of one kind or another after reading posts and visually seeing them fitted at sites we visit during the year.
I'd like to know if possible please what the reasons are for choosing that particular type of mover fitted to your pride and joy.
For example,do people have a preference between say an "A" frame type and maybe an "Underslung" type,and for what reason?
Thanks for your help.seth

As everyone will see the topic is all about which motor mover was chosen rather than whether a mover is necessary and the date that Seth joined the forum shows that he's not an inexperienced caravanner who has been persuaded that he has to have a mover.
Let's all please remember that many of us become caravan owners because it offers choice and the choice of whether or not to fit a motor mover is often nothing to do with driving skill but more about whether it is likely to be useful to the caravan owner.
Those of us who don't have motor movers are not in a position to comment upon which is the preferred make or manufacturer and this is what the o.p. asked.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Easyvanner said:- Parking nose in is your choice, you dont have to!

I said in an earlier post why it is necessary to park nose first. Do you want to look at the back end of a hedge or a panoramic sunset vista?
smiley-smile.gif

If you know how to manhandle a 1700 kgs TA nose first on grass or gravel without a car or mover I'd love to know
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I met the inventor of the caravan mover, and he explained that like a number of his other inventions that he came up with the idea as a response to a difficulty he had encountered, namely that due to advancing years and a medical condition he could not manually push a caravan into its final position, and he was sure that there must be other people who must face giving up their caravans through similar issues.

You are perhaps fortunate enough to retain the necessary mobility to mange without one, but I am sure that some who have movers they certainly would not see then as a 'waste of money' but more as a real means to enable then to continue to enjoy caravanning.

For others, some may not wish to exert themselves, so why not take an easier way to achieve a desired end 'smarter not harder' seems to come to mind.

A mover does not totally negate the need to be able to reverse with a car.

Enjoy your caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Blimey
Only ever seen 3 motor movers in use!!
You should go on the C & CC rallies on the Costa Geriatrica
Movers are almost as common as invalid buggies and walking frames
But to be serious they have enabled lots of caravanners with disabilities or aging to prolong caravanning by many years
To answer the original question many people ,my friend included,have bought both types of mover
Its always the A frame type first and then the underslung as the A frame type often prove unsuitable for steeper slopes or uneven ground
We have the Powertouch with electric actuator and I can reverse a van but prefer not to across our lane into my drive as its just over the brow of a hill and narrow with most drivers not allowing for a caravan across the road
The van then needs reversing through 180deg into its space
I would recommend Powrtouch as they have a 5 year warranty and excellent service if you are unfortunate enough to have a problem
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/johng_016/carawash.jpg

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Easyvanner said:- Parking nose in is your choice, you dont have to!

I said in an earlier post why it is necessary to park nose first. Do you want to look at the back end of a hedge or a panoramic sunset vista?
smiley-smile.gif

If you know how to manhandle a 1700 kgs TA nose first on grass or gravel without a car or mover I'd love to know
smiley-wink.gif

I also pointed out that I park my van nose first on my downhill sloping drive to deter thieves.

To add to the Proffs post we got talking to an eighty year old couple at Ilam Hall a few years ago who had given up vanning for some time and had recently started again thanks to having a mover a fitted. The warden, who seemed to know them, said it had given them an whole new lease of life
smiley-laughing.gif

Last month we were at Englethwaite Hall and at different times three elderly ladies, towing alone, came on site and all had movers to help them pitch as did a single male caravanner. Another good reason for a mover. Funnily some of us on site, including the wardens, tried to fix the male up with one of the females. It got as far as exchanging phone numbers. Not sure if he got his car fixed to visit her at Moffat though, the next site she was visiting
smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks to the mover I believe it is extending my caravanning life. As I posted before, for me it is an insurance. £700 is a lot of money but it's the best thing I've bought after the caravan.
No hard feelings Easyvanner and I hope your health continues so that you don't need to fork out for a mover but one day you might see it from a different perspective.
Keep taking the tablets ... heh! heh! heh!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts