Caravan Movers

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
After looking at various adverts etc, some impartial advice would be appreciated about the pros and cons of the three makes of mover.My questions have probably been answered before, but after a look on the forum I couldn't find them all.

Reich Mover:

Anyone had any problems with ground clearance as this mover seems to sit very near to the ground?

Is it easy to engage and disengage, especially the one you wind into place?

I like the fact that the motors are inboard of the wheels and that it can be fitted behind the wheels as well (need to move the wheel carrier back though).

One model seems to cover all weights of caravan.

After sales care of Reich - are they any good?

Truma Mover:

Seems to have all or nothing. No soft start mechanism. Any real

problems with this?

Are the rollers easy to engage and disengage?

Ground clearance ok?

Truma ok as a firm?

Powrtouch mover:

This seems to be the one everyone raves about.

Are the rollers easy to engage and disengage?

The firm seems to be brilliant to deal with.

Is ground clearance ok?

Many thanks to anyone who replies.

P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not many people will have had experience with all 3 makes of mover.

I have heard that the reich is a fine mover and possibly the best for twin axle vans.

Truma has according to the posts I have read leaves a lot to be desired. although I have recently read that there latest model (out in 2006) has addressed all of the problems found with current models.

Powertouch which I had fitted to my van last Jan. has performed adequately on all surfaces without any trouble, it is well engineered and comes with a 5 year warranty. the people at the firm are very easy to talk to and the engineer who fitted my mover was very very good.

I am thinking about trading my van for a heavier van and I hope that the existing mover will be able to be moved to the new van. anf if not I have heard that they will upgrade at a nominal cost

Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter

we have the Reich comfort which enables you to engage it from either side. Easy enough - just use either the handle in the 'van or cordless drill.

Had it for 18 months now with no problems, so can't comment on aftersales. Soft start is great - allows you to inch up to the car.

I see in this month's Caravan Club mag that Truma are catching up and probably overtaking - they are offering a new model which engages and disengages electronically.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I responded in October about the Reich, I will repeat what I said and then addrees your questions:

We have the Reich Comfort system that I fitted on our "545" a year last February and we have been very pleased with it. Have now used it on 54 outings so 108 times plus several on site occassions. Cost

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Peter,

I have a reich mover which was originally fitted to my Bailey Ranger for about a year, I then changed vans and fitted it to the new one, in doing so I blew up the control box,( my fault got the polarity wrong way round ) I contacted a Reich dealer down south,( I can`t remember their name,)they were very helpful and told me to contact Reich UK, this I did and was sent a reconditioned control box free of charge, now thats aftersales service for you, I find it no trouble to engage the rollers, mine uses a lever, the soft start stops it taking me by surprise, and your right, the inboard motors never pick up road dirt, I`ve been on cross channel ferries and over road humps ground clearance has never bee a problem. On the Bailey I had to move the wheel carrier back just drilled a couple of holes in the chassis. which ever model you buy you`ll wonder why you didn`t get one sooner there great.

good luck Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A motor mover should be fitted IN FRONT of the axle, whenever possible.

Movement of the road tyre, up or down due to uneven ground, can cause a significant difference in position relative to the motor mover drive rollers if fitted behind the axle. When fitted in front this difference is negligible.

The weight is better distributed just in front, rather than behind the axle.

Some makes of mover use different models to allow room for shock absorbers which are also in front of the axle.

The Al-Ko spare wheel holder, fitted to many caravans, can't be moved and fitment of a mover behind the axle may prevent the spare wheel from being taken out when required!

Only fit a mover behind the axle when underbody obstructions, like heater ducting, prevent fitment in front.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I have a Carver/Truma mover and have had no problems. The only downside to it is the jumpy start but its no biggy. Has Ken said, check out the new Truma, it looks far better now and has a soft start with new type of rollers. Also a 5 year warranty. It says it will be available in January at the same price as the old one. The Caravan Club mag gives it an excellent write up.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
We have a Powrtouch Mod3 (heavy duty) on a Coachman Amara 500/5. Absolutley brilliant.

Engages from either side of the van with a 210 degree (ish) turn of the handle. Mounted at front of the axel (rear mounted ones will get lots more spray/crap from the road). Dont block the spare wheel holder. Is cm perfect for movement and has a slow build up of speed so you can see what direction its going and have time to stop it if its wrong.

SOme of the movers are engaged by turning like you do a corner steady, suppose this is better for people with bad arms etc as they can use a cordless drill.

Powrtouch have the best warranty though, bar none.

Steve

Nov 5, 2005
Visit site
We have a Powertouch mover on our Quasar 525 which is quite a big van. The power mover is invaluable but I think in common with the others ground clearance is quite badly restricted. We had an incident in Switzerland this year where upon pulling over to the side of the road to check the map I dove over a small pothole. It was enough to bring the Powermover into contact with the ground and knocked it backwards into permanent contact with the caravan wheel - we couldn't move. Luckily no lasting damage was done & the Swiss road side rescue were there very quickly and were able to fix it. The moral of the story is be very careful on uneven ground if you have one of these fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi peter we have a powertouch on our 1300 kl van it makes a huge difference to us geting it in and out of storage we have the series 3 model it will go up a resonable slop too very pleased with service etc all the best peter

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
All I can say is that a power mover is the best thing since sliced bread. We bought a second hand van a few months ago which already had one fitted. We had not come across a mover before and didn't know what to expect. We stood there opened mouthed as the van trundled up the sloping drive and neatly parked itself along the side the garage which is off set from the drive. Being able to move the front or the rear of the van independantly is fantastic and makes wriggling the van into its little space so easy. The entertainment value for the neighbours is great too.

Our mover is a Reich. Don't know much about them but the mover works a treat and hasn't let us down yet (touch wood)

May 12, 2005
Visit site
A motor mover should be fitted IN FRONT of the axle, whenever possible.

Movement of the road tyre, up or down due to uneven ground, can cause a significant difference in position relative to the motor mover drive rollers if fitted behind the axle. When fitted in front this difference is negligible.

The weight is better distributed just in front, rather than behind the axle.

Some makes of mover use different models to allow room for shock absorbers which are also in front of the axle.

The Al-Ko spare wheel holder, fitted to many caravans, can't be moved and fitment of a mover behind the axle may prevent the spare wheel from being taken out when required!

Only fit a mover behind the axle when underbody obstructions, like heater ducting, prevent fitment in front.
your comment that a spare wheel carrier can`t be moved on an Alko chassis? I moved mine by drilling a couple of holes in the chassis, don`t tell me it will weaken the chassis as the difference wil be negligable, It would probably affect the warrenty though. But it can be done.

Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the Carver on the garage floor as I wrestled it off the caravan this morning ready for fitting to the new van in good time.

The CC mag had some interesting news about the new Truma range out soon with soft start and of interest to the disabled a new model that can be moved onto the wheel by pressing a button on the remote control......now that sounds interesting!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a look at all the movers at Earls Court. They all now seem to be able to be engaged electronically now at a price. Truma and Powertouch have alloy rollers available. The big issue seems to be with twin axles, Reich does seem to have the clear advantage here with 4 motors so that you can manoeuver in much tighter spaces. For that reason I have selected this for the new van I've bought at the show

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a look at all the movers at Earls Court. They all now seem to be able to be engaged electronically now at a price. Truma and Powertouch have alloy rollers available. The big issue seems to be with twin axles, Reich does seem to have the clear advantage here with 4 motors so that you can manoeuver in much tighter spaces. For that reason I have selected this for the new van I've bought at the show
I didn't realise that they all now have the option of electronic engagement----progress.

As I've just removed mine and cleaned and painted it today it looks as if our new van when it comes will have to be satisfied with what we've got!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Powrtouch mover, fitted at time of manufacture, to my fantastic Gobur Carousel & I can get it in a lockup garage which has just UNDER an inch clearance to get through the door. precision manouevre indeed thanks to powrtouch. The rollers are OK to engage & disengage- I am 5 foot 1 and 7 1/2 stone!

Carol- a very very proud Carousel owner (as from June this year after 30 odd years tenting!!)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't realise that they all now have the option of electronic engagement----progress.

As I've just removed mine and cleaned and painted it today it looks as if our new van when it comes will have to be satisfied with what we've got!!!
Hi the Truma one has forced them all to do it, seems to be a seperate unit so it may well be retro fittable to a Powrtouch - if you want it. I have to say I'm not convinced!

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to all who replied.

I have decided to take the plunge and have today ordered a Powrtouch Heavy Duty Mover.

They honoured the offer of price match less

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
We have just had a Powertouch mover fitted,great service from start to finish,I don't think the company need have any worries, as far as the product and their service is concerned.

Shiba.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts