Caravan newbie!

Jul 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, Chris here!

After visiting a Haven site a couple months ago (Reighton Sands - Filey) and viewing all the touring caravans and awesome looking setups, I started the ball rolling and if it would be possible with our 3 young children (5, 3 and 2). I thought if anything it would be a cost saving for us in the long run, given the cost of flights these days! The idea of getting out every few weekends would be an adventure for us all and having the freedom to move around as and when we liked.

I initially looked online at all the different manufactures and various layouts, then decided to head down to our local caravan dealer, Kimberley Caravans. As soon as I got there, I stumbled upon a 2022 Coachman Acadia (Kimberley Edition) 630 Xtra, which had the bunks - instant hit with the kids! To be honest I was blown away with the quality inside and couldn’t believe the space. After a few emails to sales rep, I finally took the plunge and placed a deposit on a 2023 model, with the estimated delivery being around Feb/Mar time!

Options wise, we are considering the E & P levelling system, just to take out the hassle when arriving on site, whale water connection, weight plate upgrade and AL-KO wheel locks. Other options to fit, motor mover (not sure on brands, though have been told powrtouch – evolution are good!), a tracker/alarm system (again need some recommendations on this!) Coachman offer a Phantom 'Sentinel' Pro Active Tracker system as an option… though how does this fair with others on the market? And lastly some sort out Wi-Fi system – possibly Maxview? Again Coachman offer a Motorhome Wi-Fi system that’s 4G, though I guess for future proofing, surely a 5G model is worth looking at? What’s everyone’s thoughts on air-con as an option?

Just out of interest, what kind of items do the dealers throw in when ordering a caravan from new? So far nothing has been mentioned, though I’ve heard of various YouTube reviews of ‘starter packs’ and such. I mean asking for them to throw in an AWD motor mover is probably a cheeky ask, though how far do people use their dealers? haha

Car wise, we will need to replace the Touran, given the weight of the caravan and on our short list, we have the following:

• Land Rover Discovery or Discovery Sport (Not sure if the latter will suffice)
  • Range Rover Sport
  • VW Touareg
  • Audi Q7

Is there any other decent options out there that we could consider?

With the caravan memberships out there, Caravan and Motorhome Club and Camping and Caravanning club to name a few, which do the majority sign up to, if any?

Towing taster courses – can anyone recommend any in the midlands area?

I’m currently listing all the things I believe I would need to get us going and will edit/add to this post later today, though I’d like to gather other people’s thoughts on other essential items that we may need too. We will be attending the Caravan show at the NEC in October, no kids in tow (excuse the pun!) so hoping to pick up some items!

We will probably start off local, whilst I build up confidence in towing, though our long term goal would be to head into Europe from time to time, though saying that some of the sites down south (Cornwall way) look like fantastic!

To say the least, we are extremely excited for next year and can’t wait to start touring!

Apologises for all the questions!

Mar 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi Chris

Also new to caravaning ( just had our 1st year anniversary touring )( but will be forever now lol ), it sound that you have a great budget for starting out 👍👍 well all I can say if I was in your position I’d ask the dealer to throw in as much as possible as they will be make a big commission on your van so as the day goes if you don’t ask you won’t get …. And for towing I’d test drive them all as again your marking a massive purchase I tow a 2017 Bailey Ancona single axle with a Vw Tiguan which is great but I’m thinking of maybe changing car for discovery 5 or a Volvo XC90 but going forward with campsites we are out in ours every opportunity we can and also love to go to Cornwall Newquay area and also this year we have just got back from South Wales near Tenby and it was absolutely lovely will be returning next year all I can say is enjoy it as we’ve had loads of great holidays this year already and we’re not even got to the summer one and as you said the price of airport holidays this is the way to go to get loads of holidays instead of 1or 2 abroad a year and I’ve never experienced so many nice people and places in the caravaning family (which it is a friendly family community)

all the best

Pete

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Congratulations on your new purchase. We have the E&P system fitted as standard on our caravan. It takes a bite out of your available payload. An AWD motor mover for twin axle is almost essential however that is another 60kg out of your meagre payload.
We have the Phantom Tracker pro active fitted in our caravan and regard it as a good investment. We can check the battery voltage at any time and also see the mileage done by the caravan every month in addition to its location.
The VW Tourag seems to get very good reviews and is popular for towing the 2000kg Buccaneer caravans.
Regarding wifi your best bet is joining the Caravan Club and ordering through them as they offer an extremely good package. When not using the wifi you can go into standby mode and only pay a fraction of the monthly cost.
Many items for the caravan can be picked up on places like eBay, FB Marketplace, www,preloved.co.uk etc. for a fraction of their original price.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
With young children of that age, you'll need to look carefully at back seat width, to get 3 child seats in, unless you go for a 7-seater but then luggage space will be reduced - we have a VW Touareg and often take 3 full-sized adults in the back as it's 150 cm across, bigger than most.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking the plunge into Caravanning. You have clearly got a lot of very enjoyable planning underway. There are towing courses out there. Both the CAMC and the C&CC offer them as do other providers.
In terms of accessories, just bear in mind that Wilko, B&M IKEA and the like will do plates pots and pans cutlery etc etc a lot cheaper than caravan accessory shops. Also watch your payload. It is tempting to cram in loads of desirable accessories that you can manage without.
Keep on enjoying
Mel

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You have clearly thought this through very well so far. Coachman have a great reputation so may not suffer as much depreciation. Setting up andvlevellingnis not hard if you are fit and follow a system. (see YouTube). So save the money on the self levelling, it can always go on later. For WiFi. All we do is have two phones on different suppliers. Nearly always get a signal. Another thing that could be updated later anyway.

I think that Phantom tracker is good, but overpriced. I now go for relying on my insurance cover. I don't think I would want it back anyway. Both clubs are fine to use, not sure which would be best with kids. They both offer recognised courses. All tow cars sound excellent and capable.

A motor mover is very useful and a lot of dealers will. Throw that in to get a deal, but it is a bit of a sellers market at the moment.

Are you using a card for the deposit? Make sure you get anything you agree with the dealer in writing. Having already paid your deposit might limit your negotiations. Check if the end price is fixed or flexible.

A recognised wheel lock is needed for most insurance purposes. The Alko is good, but a pita an twin axles. Others will advise on that.

There are few guarantees on delivery times these days. Don’t know if Coachman are better than others in this respect.

I f going fr an awning consider a porch, full awnings are limiting.

Good luck with everything.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and a nice choice of outfit. Going on from post #6 above I’d agree that a “porch” type awning is far more flexible and future proofs you if you change vans. Some porches are literally just that, but then there are larger ones sometimes referred to as midi which give much more space and some can have separate sleeping annexes fitted if extra guests have to be hosted. If you go for something less than a full awning try and find one which will not have to go over a window(s), more convenient and reduces the possibility of minor friction scratches on the window.

Typical midi awning shown

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and a nice choice of outfit. Going on from post #6 above I’d agree that a “porch” type awning is far more flexible and future proofs you if you change vans. Some porches are literally just that, but then there are larger ones sometimes referred to as midi which give much more space and some can have separate sleeping annexes fitted if extra guests have to be hosted. If you go for something less than a full awning try and find one which will not have to go over a window(s), more convenient and reduces the possibility of minor friction scratches on the window.

Typical midi awning shown

Decent choice and good advice, but surely a porch is anything other than a full awning. Not necessarily small. I wait to be corrected.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Decent choice and good advice, but surely a porch is anything other than a full awning. Not necessarily small. I wait to be corrected.

John
I did say “ sometimes”. But Dorema refer to some in the Quattro range as ” porch midi” up to a useful 4.3 meters. Other companies also use the word “ midi” but I was trying to advice the OP.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I did say “ sometimes”. But Dorema refer to some in the Quattro range as ” porch midi” up to a useful 4.3 meters. Other companies also use the word “ midi” but I was trying to advice the OP.

I was just objecting to you disagreeing with me that a porch was a good idea. Then went onto agree albeit with it as a midi porch. Still a porch. I might be being pedantic, but surely you are in fact agreeing but enhancing my text. Leave it.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, and to caravanning, You might be a bit late to get extras for your purchase from the dealer, "but" good luck, Awnings go for a Porch type, less hassle putting up especially for just a weekend. I have two a 260 Air type and a 380 poled.
Equipment as Mel says, try budget places, not caravan outlets, much cheaper, but have a decent wine glass or beer glass for yourselfs, guests can have plastic.
As for your tow car, no real need for a 4x4, Audi A6 are wonderfull, Volvo's I don't like the ergonomic, non adjustable headrests, otherwise nice. I like Kia and Hyundai, good tow cars. .
Lots for you to think about on your trips out. Games for the kids on wet days. But enjoy it all.
Hutch.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chris welcome to forum congratulations on your new caravan why dont you see if you can get a mover thrown in we brought a lot of our extras of preloved and gumtree sometimes you can get bargains also we have a porch awning a Vango Capella 220 air it got a three year warranty and we just brought a Dorema Starcamp quick n easy Air 265 sun canopy i have heard good reports about Audi Q7 but take it out for a test drive good luck

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Chris welcome to forum congratulations on your new caravan why dont you see if you can get a mover thrown in we brought a lot of our extras of preloved and gumtree sometimes you can get bargains also we have a porch awning a Vango Capella 220 air it got a three year warranty and we just brought a Dorema Starcamp quick n easy Air 265 sun canopy i have heard good reports about Audi Q7 but take it out for a test drive good luck
I think they have already paid the deposit so probably cannot bargain. Also unfortunately due to it being a sellers market now, there is no reason to offer anything with a new purchase to sweeten the deal. Sadly it is now a case of take it or leave it!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i received a email from this dealer Grantham Retford branch come to this event this weekend free BBQ Amazing offers to celebrate our 5th Anniversary in business When you buy a caravan you have a choice of one of these fantastic offers
1/. £500 of New and used caravans
2/ 50% off All motor movers 50% off Powrtouch or Emove Motor Mover
3/ 3 Year Free Service Plan
4/ Free Quest Awning
5/ Free starter pack & £50 voucher
Plus Much More
So it looks like there still offers out there

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well i received a email from this dealer Grantham Retford branch come to this event this weekend free BBQ Amazing offers to celebrate our 5th Anniversary in business When you buy a caravan you have a choice of one of these fantastic offers
1/. £500 of New and used caravans
2/ 50% off All motor movers 50% off Powrtouch or Emove Motor Mover
3/ 3 Year Free Service Plan
4/ Free Quest Awning
5/ Free starter pack & £50 voucher
Plus Much More
So it looks like there still offers out there
The above is probably if you place a new order, unfortunately the OP has already placed their order. Good to know that there are still offers out there.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. You do seem to be aware of what is needed and have done far more homework than most.
If you are having the self levelling system and a mover fitted with five of you travelling I think to keep within the MTPLM you will need the upgrade. We have a motor mover fitted and with a caravan that size it is very useful and possibly more of a priority then the leveller which we manage easily without. Ours is a Powertouch and is now on its second caravan and about seven years old and has been no trouble. Having said that we have had two other makes and none were any trouble.
I have not had any basis for comparing security systems so cannot comment on their comparable merits.
We just use our phones for wi fi although many sites do have their own which is often free. Our phones are with different providers so hopefully we can normally get a signal n one. 5G is the up and coming service but I think 4G will be around for many years yet but it is a matter of judgement where you go with that.
Different dealer have very different attitudes to throwing things in so you just have to ask. Having said that, whatever it is it comes out of their profit margin, so without it you might get a better deal cash wise. Do ask for a discount though on any accessories you buy there.
Any of the cars you suggest will do the job well and which you go for is really a matter of personal choice, but do not rule out the Hyundia and Kia offerings.
Both of the big clubs do offer towing courses so I would check them out. As a club there is not a lot between them but the CAMH have more sites and ja better foreign touring offering and their breakdown cover is cheaper but both have far better cover than anything else I know of. The CAMH insurance is excellent but expensive.
Good luck.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
My brother in law has the EP self leveling thing on his buccaneer, with that, quad movers, and a wind out awning there is very little payload left even with upgrades to the plate. With 3 kids +2 adults you are going to need a decent payload!
We bought a lock-n-level to level our twin axle, obviously it's a bit more effort but it gets the job done and is light weight and cheap.
Also as others have said don't rule out the Korean offerings. We moved from a VW Tiguan to a Hyundai Santa Fe and couldn't be happier

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My brother in law has the EP self leveling thing on his buccaneer, with that, quad movers, and a wind out awning there is very little payload left even with upgrades to the plate. With 3 kids +2 adults you are going to need a decent payload!
We bought a lock-n-level to level our twin axle, obviously it's a bit more effort but it gets the job done and is light weight and cheap.
Also as others have said don't rule out the Korean offerings. We moved from a VW Tiguan to a Hyundai Santa Fe and couldn't be happier
And look which marques took the high positions in this years 2022 JD Power survey. Santa Fe and Sorento have solid reputation as tow cars and who else gives 5 years and 7 years warranty respectively. So called prestige makes were disappointingly lower.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Going onto tow cars, the Santa Fe' and Sorentos are very similar, I went for a new 5 seat SF, as the space under the rear boot area is massive, I can stow a maximum amount of stuff there. But with the 7 seat versions you can get the noiseyest kid far away and still cool them with the air conditionig. .
And all cheaper than JLR, . Just clocked up 80 k in my 2014 SF maybe 30 k towing. A 1645 Coachman.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
We went for the 7 seater which came with nice bits like panoramic sunroof, self leveling suspension and xenon headlights. Also an increased kerb weight to slightly over 2000kg , so out 1800kg van is no bother.
Also a 2014 model now with 65k miles and an advisory free MOT passed last week.
Despite being a year newer and 15k miles less our Tiguan failed on something every year. £2000 of suspension faults at the first mot which was thankfully covered by warranty after a lot of arguing with the dealer

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The E&P is standard therefore does not affect payload.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, yes and no. It's still weight that has to be dragged around even though it is standard equipment and a chassis has a maximum weight.
Our total payload is 250kg with plate upgrade, carrying one gas cylinder instead of two and removing the table. However we have AWD motor mover, air con and sat dish so minus 120kg which still leaves us with a respectable 130kg.
BTW if the E&P is standard battery is included in the MIRO along with wastemaster, EHU lead, steps and water connections.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Buccaneer barracuda has a user payload of 159kg.
Less quad movers 69kg
Gas 10kg minimum
Roll out awning 28kg leaves less than 60kg.
For a family of 4 that's going to be tricky without carrying a lot in the car.
But the OP is considering adding the EP system, so it will be removed from the payload.

We have 357kg user payload with our Bailey, so even deducting for our single mover, battery etc we have over 200kg payload left. Even my wife can't fill all that 😁

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buccaneer barracuda has a user payload of 159kg.
Less quad movers 69kg
Gas 10kg minimum
Roll out awning 28kg leaves less than 60kg.
For a family of 4 that's going to be tricky without carrying a lot in the car.
But the OP is considering adding the EP system, so it will be removed from the payload.

We have 357kg user payload with our Bailey, so even deducting for our single mover, battery etc we have over 200kg payload left. Even my wife can't fill all that 😁
We have the Cruiser which has a much larger payload.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts