Caravan paint

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
TerryIvybridge said:
As Dustydog say's, but you perhaps ought to look at the reason for the bubbles?
I agree - raised bumps of aluminium are usually caused by damp. The wooden framework under the aluminium skin often has steel fasteners and moisture starts off electrolytic corrosion between the steel and aluminium, but the latter comes off worse-hence the bumps and eventually holes

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Terry and Chris, you see that's what I love about this forum, I would have never thought about the cause of the bubbles, there's a really bad area at the back of my caravan just about the rubbing strip, as we've stripped out all the timber and insulation it should be ok once the aluminium is repaired, we also discovered the muppets who built our caravan used ordinary steel screws in said strip which Explains the lace curtain aluminium, must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning when they built our van lol, much appreciated guys.

Sean.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Swifts colour is Fiat 249 and I believe Bailey is BMW Mustard white.I hope this is some help to you Auto centres stock both colours in aerosol
Sir Roger

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " we also discovered the muppets who built our caravan used ordinary steel screws in said strip which Explains the lace curtain aluminium, must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning when they built our van

It was common practice in all makes of UK vans to use steel screws to fix rails which is why so many people have such trouble removing them , they have rusted away over the years.

I am not entirely sure if all manufacturers today have gone over to Stainless screws or still use plain steel.

The bubbling of aluminium can also be caused by the tips of screws securing internal woodwork touching the aluminium.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you have corossion in aluminium, (alloy) then it has to be nutralised otherwise it will re occour, I think there are products on the commercial market to do this prior to painting, I dont know the latest name for these, as being a retired Helicopter engineer my old company would , LEND, me these chemicals , when required.
Hutch.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the caravan should be normal auto paint but don't forget once repair has been done you can't put normal primer on the alloy it needs to be an alloy etching primer then filler primer followed by base coat and lacquer.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Geting the old grey matter going , the green chrome etch primer is the one that should be used for aluminium alloys, the red is for steel alloys. Then a primmer and final coat. .
Hutch.

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I used a small piece of aluminium and fc40 to strengthen the weak point in my aluminium skin which seems to have sealed it until I get to paint and finally finish my van, good job as the weather has been foul for ages up here over the weekends in the north east, thanks for all your advice guys.

Sean.

TRENDING THREADS