Caravan park owner's discretion?

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
We are on a small site and all the units are owner/occupied. The park owner has applied to increase the number of units by nearly a quarter and it is understood these extra caravans may be let out for holiday rents, rather than sold on. Many regard this change as going against the "ethos" of the park - it is a quiet, secluded site where, in fact, almost half of the owners actually live for 46 weeks of the year. Is it at the park owner's discretion to make the park more of a "holiday" park, rather than an owner/occupied park? Does the BH&HPA have any say in the matter? I think there'll be a mass exodus if this change takes place.... Has anyone come across this before?

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi..

"ethos" is ok but I suspect from the park owners point of view it runs a distant second to "pounds sterling". The weekly rate of a holiday let will be considerabe more than that from owner occupiers even taken the costs of cleaning and maintaining the vans.

As for the Mass Exodus check your contracts as often the park owner has the option to take a large percentage of the sale price. Or may even hold the sole right to buy at their value. ( the vans are worth little without the site to put them on..)

The more owner occupiers that opt to sell the more "ethos" sorry "pounds sterling " the site owner will accumulate, and if they buy the vans the more availability for letting.

Now if I were the site owner, I would opt for "ethos" every time.

Good luck......Brian.....

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Many of the larger sites we have been on over the last 5 years or so are steadily reducing the touring side and increasing the number of Statics.

No doubt because statics are a better money earner.

But it is a shame.

If you want a reason why Michael - just look at what you pay in total for a year and look at what the owner can get from holiday lets.

I would be careful as Bri-C advocates but also for another reason - it could be that the site owner needs to increase income - every business does with the increased bureaucracy/taxes/fuel costs etc etc. So if he is unable to do this and increase the income - he may just say sod it and sell up.

Often it really is better the devil you know.

Why not talk to them about their plans?

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael

Sadly, a lot of privately owned sites are going in this direction. You don't state whether your current site is static or touring (or both).

I flinch when people tell me they are considering the purchase of a static caravan, having been there myself and lost a lot of money into the bargain due to the owners greed.

My response is always: "Don't do it!". The reason being that once the site owner has you in his grasp it costs an arm and leg to get your caravan off for relocation. Plumbing being the main bone of contention.

I always suggest that should 'vanners wish to live a 'static' lifestyle then they purchase a very large touring caravan. But make sure it is possible to pull it off should the site owner suddenly decide to inflate his fees extortionately.

Sorry, rant over. I am now heading back to my box!

Ann

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Ann

Could not agree with you more. We now have our TA Bailey on an seasonal pitch on a site we think is absolutely great.

We would like to stay there for some time as the Warden and Site managers are wonderful. But who knows what the future holds.

If it changes for the worse then we can just hitch up and go.

I think it a sign of the times but I simply do not trust anything to stay the same.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Michael,

Sadly, in most cases the caravan owners on a private site have very few rights when it comes to tenancy, and any decisions about the way the site is run.

Without any doubt, I agree with the consensus that the changes you describe are driven by profitability.

It is unlikely that the site owner would be prepared to explain the sites running costs, but it is quite likely that their profit has been squeezed by the governments increasing tax burdens, and the requirements of local authorities with regard to things like refuse collection charges etc. It may be the case that the business has lost its profitability, and rather than increasing charges to the long term residents, by changing some of the pitches to short term hires, the addition al revenue may be necessary to keep the site viable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts