Caravan Polish

Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Iest said:
Should I use Maguire's Ultimate Polish on my caravan? (After washing etc!)

I am not suggesting that you should, but I cannot see why it would not be a very good coating for a caravan.

Send us some before and after pics please.

Anseo.
 
Aug 14, 2014
29
0
0
Visit site
You should be fine with Meguiar's Ultimate polish as it is not particularly abrasive unlike some others. However, may be worth considering something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish as that is very non-abrasive. You just want to be careful with caravans as the paint is fairly thin.
Of course though, remember that polishes give very little protection - they may leave a slight protective layer of waxes that is short lasting, but nowhere near as good as a hard wax. So if you are using the polish with a view to protecting the caravan, you may be best thinking again. Polishes are really for removing defects (due to their abrasive nature and filling minor scratches with the fillers they contain), prior to applying a wax.
Autoglym HD wax is very reasonably priced and easy to apply. When I do my caravan, I do a very good wash and then sometimes wipe the dirtiest areas with a clay mitt (although I tend to be lazy with this on the caravan), then do a gentle machine polish with Autoglym SRP followed by a layer or two (depending if I can be bothered to do 2 layers) of HD Wax. Sorry, that was a bit of a long post!
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,622
6,378
50,935
Visit site
I use Autoglym polish (very gentle) and Extra Gloss Protector. Polish gets used at most twice per year and gloss protector on top. Normal routine maintenance is then Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner, Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler and Fenwicks Overwinter. I have no shares in Fenwicks, but their products are good. :)
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
I wouldn't polish my caravan unless I really needed to.

I prefer to use a 'ceramic' product GTechniq C2. It is much less effort than applying wax (I've used AG HD Wax on my car) however, you can layer C2 on top of a wax as final layer.

With GTechniq C2 you spray on a clean surface a wipe off. It's really easy. My caravan was treated in August and is still beading water.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Mine was last done in October if yous remember ( I've just had to look the picture up on my phone to look at the date !! ) when I posted the picture of the scaffolding trellis because I even got the roof done ! But when it comes home in a few weeks time it will just get a hose down and only take about an hour to get back to its glorious self .
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
benshepherd said:
When I do my caravan, I do a very good wash and then sometimes wipe the dirtiest areas with a clay mitt

I've used a Clay Bar on my car for years to remove tar and bug spots (and paint transfer from carparks :angry: ); I found it useful for removing stray sealant from manufacture. I imagine claying the front panel/windows would be a good, low abrasive, way to remove stubborn towing detritus if you don't have a towing cover.

I use Bilt Hamber Soft auto clay as it is the least aggressive. You can use it with water as a lubricant, but I keep a bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer for cleaning the front and rear panels on site.

Craigyoung said:
Mine was last done in October if yous remember ( I've just had to look the picture up on my phone to look at the date !! ) when I posted the picture of the scaffolding trellis because I even got the roof done ! But when it comes home in a few weeks time it will just get a hose down and only take about an hour to get back to its glorious self .

Didn't you get some stick for the scaffold not being secured correctly? :p
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Craigyoung said:
Mine was last done in October if yous remember ( I've just had to look the picture up on my phone to look at the date !! ) when I posted the picture of the scaffolding trellis because I even got the roof done ! But when it comes home in a few weeks time it will just get a hose down and only take about an hour to get back to its glorious self .

Didn't you get some stick for the scaffold not being secured correctly? :p



Mmmm !!
 
Jul 18, 2017
12,487
3,507
32,935
Visit site
We used Meguirs 3 step on our Lunar Delta and it came up like new and the shine lasted for about 2 years. On our Buccaneer we had it done with Paintseal so no need to polish at all.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
Buckman said:
We used Meguirs 3 step on our Lunar Delta and it came up like new and the shine lasted for about 2 years. On our Buccaneer we had it done with Paintseal so no need to polish at all.

My wife's car was treated with Gen3 Glasscoat by the dealer (a goodwill gesture) which is a Paintseal product. I was initially very impressed with it; it made cleaning the car much easier and water would bead on the surface. However, It does not last more than about 2 years. Its performance dropped off sharply after 18 months or so. I have looked into the DIY versions of ceramic coatings which are about the same as the dealer/professional only products, and they are a PITA to apply. If you get it wrong, wet sanding is the only way to remove the product. I applied a rain-repellent coating to my car windscreen and side windows and that took a good 2 hours to get right and required no rain for 24hrs.
 
Jun 16, 2010
99
8
18,585
Visit site
hi i have just got a caravan baily and its got paint seal badge on it it was put on in 2016 when i rung paint seal if it was still under guarentee they said no once it changed hands it dont count so i told them it was a bit of a rip off but they told me they would send some one out for a fee i said no so what is the best way of cleaning it thanks cheers .tom
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,622
6,378
50,935
Visit site
Paintseal should only require you to just wash the caravan. Using polish which is slightly abrasive will potentially damage the paintseal.

Fenwicks caravan cleaner should bring it up fine. Also have you not visited Paintseal website to see what the company recommend as the best way of maintaining the sealant?
 
Apr 10, 2014
131
0
0
Visit site
As otherclive has already stated, Fenwicks will bring it up nice and clean and then apply Fenwicks Bobbydazzler to maintain its appearance.
For black streak marks use the shampoo neat, but be sure you rinse well afterwards.
Regards,
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,622
6,378
50,935
Visit site
Paint seals website has a host of products for maintaining the appearance. But they look pricey. I’ve used Fenwicks on caravans and cars and it’s always brought them up well.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Autoglym'd a few months ago , less than 2 hours to do both yesterday and the water just ran off , no scaffold this time !!


Just a bit of tyre spray and polish on the wheels and I'm back to good to go ! B)
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts