Caravan Quality

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
On 2 different occasions I have written to the Caravan Club and this magazine concerning the exterior quality of vans. That is the rear end. The bumper is wafer thin and is a considerable amount to repair - yet in caravan reviews it is never mentioned and is one that should be addressed. Motorhomes and not so poorly constructed.

In the event of this poor build quality, it would be of great help in anyone has any websites concerning dealer quality not just stuff produced by caravan mags. Thoughts?

Thank you

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I might be on another planet, but I can`t ever recall seeing a caravan with a rear bumper.

The rear end of a caravan isn`t designed to collide with anything, so isn`t fitted with a `bumper`

Theres a decent chance that if you damage the rear panel you will cause other damage to the surrounding structure (unless its very localised). Thats how they`re built, with the possible exception of Eribas.

The quality of the `rear bumper` is never mentioned because there ain`t one, in much the same way as they don`t mention the take off and landing distances.

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
That could be said about the rear end of a car or any road vehicle. Put it another way if you reverse into something or something drives into you. Look at German caravans, the rear end is made of a hard plastic which will absorb minor scuffs. Compare that with a Swift or Bailey.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Alex

I agree with you omn this one. I can't understand the logic of fitting panels where damage to the vulnerable part involves the replacement and resealing of the whole of the rear (or front) panel. I noticed that Hymers appear to have a lower section at the rear that can be removed, and the lights are surrounded by a replacable moulding. I wonder if insurance companies load the premium for vans that are more costly to repair?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts