Caravan roof.

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Bit of a random question, I’m looking to give my Bailey Pegasus Rimini GT65 a good clean in the next few weeks especially the roof , does anyone know if it is safe to lean on the roof to reach the middle? I seem to remember an advert for Bailey caravans with several people standing on a caravan roof! I don’t intend standing on roof just leaning on it to wash it off .

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi.
Yes you will be fine just leaning on the roof. I use an alluminium ladder to which I've attached a couple of lengths of pipe insulation to protect the caravan where the ladder touches it. To do the cleaning I use a telescopic car wash brush and a selection of sponges and hand brushes. These negate the need to stand on the roof. For the difficult to get to nooks and crannies I use the caravan step inside the caravan to stand on, so I can get at the roof through the skylights. I have used various products over the years but Fenwicks products are now my preference.
I hope this helps.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bit of a random question, I’m looking to give my Bailey Pegasus Rimini GT65 a good clean in the next few weeks especially the roof , does anyone know if it is safe to lean on the roof to reach the middle? I seem to remember an advert for Bailey caravans with several people standing on a caravan roof! I don’t intend standing on roof just leaning on it to wash it off .
The advert you refer to related to Bailey introducing their new construction Alutech, which was designed to be much stronger than previous designs. Even with Alutech construction Baily have never suggested it's a good idea to stand on a caravan.

With regards washing a caravan roof, its best to avoid putting undue weight on it, If you must lean on it have something like a plastic bread board (so it won't scratch the surface) to spread the load over a wider area.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If it is Alutec you can stand on it, I know as I have done it, and I know of others who have. But I would NOT recommend. Too slippy and dangerous. Also not easy to get on and off. I have worked on 3 story slate roofs without edge restraint and felt safer.

Leaning on it is fine. As Paulus said. a ladder with protection, preferably one that is about 3 foot too long.

John

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I always used to go up on the roof once a year to give it a good clean, I used a sheet of 2” polystyrene insulation to kneel on and spread the load, I never had any issues until I managed to knock over the step ladder when up there, my phone was in the house and my wife couldn’t hear me shouting so I had to wait until she came outside. Half an hour sitting on a caravan roof seems a lot longer….

At the end of the day it’s up to the individual but I now find I can get the roof spotless without getting onto the roof. I open all the skylights and use a long reach brush to clean all round them, then close them and clean the entire roof thoroughly using the long reach brush. Finally I wash it with “wash & wax”. I find the the finish looks as good and lasts as long as when I used to get on the roof and polish by hand.

It’s also a long way to fall and my concrete driveway doesn’t look very forgiving!

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My son use lean on the van use a ladder, and wash the caravan roof he use my extending brush where it reaches from side to side without no problems but open all skylights and wash around them and the aerial and then use Fenwicks caravan cleaner and it left a lovely shine

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would use an extending brush and various other bits to clean the roof. Like others I would clean around the larger skylights from inside. Used Fenwicks Cleaner, followed by Bobby Dazzler, and Fenwicks overwintering fluid for late autumn to early spring protection. On the ladder I attached sections of pipework split foam insulation which protected the awning rail area by distributing the ladders pressure.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think that with the majority of caravans you could place a car on the roof with no ill effects as the load is spread and the wheels are on the strongest portion of the roof where the walls join the roof.

Therefore not a good idea to wander around any roof, but no issue leaning the ladder against the side using pipe insulation on the ladder to protect the awning rail and also using an extender brush.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I’ve been on the roof of our Bailey installing solar panels, but I would not even think of standing up! Slippy metal surface with trip hazards. Best to distribute weight as best you can and stay kneeling or crawling up there I think. I also use a very large hinged step type ladder for access, it reaches to roof level, may be safer to get on off from I think and you can do quite a lot from it without getting on the roof.

Steve

Grumpy

BANNED
Jan 25, 2023
Visit site

Ten years ago I had a Rimini and 2 of us used to get up on the roof to scrub it as most of the year it was parked under a tree.
It never leaked and I don't think we damaged it. There was no visual signs of damage anyway.
BAILEY CAR ON ROOF.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts