Caravan satellite TV. Decided to join the 21st Century.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This is an excellent appraisal
Interesting article until he gets to Sky Q and then it all falls to pieces. he is going on second hand knowledge and is not any technician in any sense of the word. The SKY Q card is compatible with Sky HD+ boxes as we currently ise a Sky Q card in our HD+ box.
We can watch Sky Go on our LG TV no issue as it is on at present. However we cannot record programs, but have not tried recording to a USB stick.
As said with Sky Go and Now there are quite a number of normal Sky channels that are not available.

Reactions: PTA
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Interesting article until he gets to Sky Q and then it all falls to pieces. he is going on second hand knowledge and is not any technician in any sense of the word. The SKY Q card is compatible with Sky HD+ boxes as we currently ise a Sky Q card in our HD+ box.
We can watch Sky Go on our LG TV no issue as it is on at present. However we cannot record programs, but have not tried recording to a USB stick.
As said with Sky Go and Now there are quite a number of normal Sky channels that are not available.
It proves to me the easiest way is dish, quad LNB,Sky HD Plus.Access to all channels, Recording two programmes same time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It proves to me the easiest way is dish, quad LNB,Sky HD Plus.Access to all channels, Recording two programmes same time.
Yep the way forward. Never seen any reason to upgrade to Sky Q. If you record 4 channels at the same time and each is an hour long, you need to find 4 hours to watch those programs. We barely find the time to watch two channels that have been recorded.
Unfortunately we are in contract with Sky for another 9 months as foolishly agreed to a lower price on an 18 month contract. We now watch more Prime than anything else as we like watching a film in the evenings before OH disappears to bed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep the way forward. Never seen any reason to upgrade to Sky Q. If you record 4 channels at the same time and each is an hour long, you need to find 4 hours to watch those programs. We barely find the time to watch two channels that have been recorded.
Unfortunately we are in contract with Sky for another 9 months as foolishly agreed to a lower price on an 18 month contract. We now watch more Prime than anything else as we like watching a film in the evenings before OH disappears to bed.
We cancelled Sky a long while ago and now use Freesat and Prime. We do have Netflix which is a bone of contention given the relatively little use it gets. This week whilst my wife is away Iā€™m limited in viewing as the recorder is pre programmed that it limits my viewing, so itā€™s mainly catch up. One reason for joy was when it was announced that Casualty was ending. Now each night before I go to sleep I pray for the same outcome for Holby and Eastenders. šŸ¤žšŸ¼

• Haha
Reactions: PTA and Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wi-Fi is mandatory but available everywhere.Data streaming if you have 4or 5 G may be expensive and again subject to signal availability. My set up is free, easy to use and works even in the remotest parts of the Highlands

Dusty, things have moved on. Data is no longer as expensive as you seem to think.

7D725ED0-8C4B-435B-A6ED-5E0FCBC543E4.png

4g is well fast enough. I have not looked into it, but I don't think that WIFI would be that expensive in Europe now. I can see there may still be advantages In satellite dishes if going abroad, or if someone is used to carrying and setting up a system. But I can have TV coming out of my ears using free view plus WiFi. So for me, dishes are pointless.

We have Prime, Netflix and Disney all family shared. And all the free stuff on Fire. Plus hundreds of hours backed up on hard disk.

John

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
With the Sky app you cannot watch BBC and some other channels. Same applies with NOW TV. Also if travelling to Europe data costs could work out quite expensive never mind using it in the UK.

BBC is available on free view. And WiFi, NOW has it's own App. See previous post are data costs.

John

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We cancelled Sky a long while ago and now use Freesat and Prime. We do have Netflix which is a bone of contention given the relatively little use it gets. This week whilst my wife is away Iā€™m limited in viewing as the recorder is pre programmed that it limits my viewing, so itā€™s mainly catch up. One reason for joy was when it was announced that Casualty was ending. Now each night before I go to sleep I pray for the same outcome for Holby and Eastenders. šŸ¤žšŸ¼
Not sure why the female species like watching medical programs? Luckily OH has never had an interest in watching any soaps like Eastend
BBC is available on free view. And WiFi Now has it's own App. See previous post are data costs.

John
Besides BBC numerous other channels are not available. NOW is also limited in what it offers and even less channels than Sky Go.
To watch Sky Go you need a HDMI lead from the PC to the TV which means you cannot use the PC for anything else, i.e. wife watching TV and you need to use the PC. Big drawback.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not sure why the female species like watching medical programs? Luckily OH has never had an interest in watching any soaps like Eastend

Besides BBC numerous other channels are not available. NOW is also limited in what it offers and even less channels than Sky Go.
To watch Sky Go you need a HDMI lead from the PC to the TV which means you cannot use the PC for anything else, i.e. wife watching TV and you need to use the PC. Big drawback.

Sorry Ian, made no sense to me. I just plug the TV in and receive masses of stations. Sky sounds really complex.

When my Virgin contract finishes in a couple of months I will just go WiFi. I recon I can make savings of about Ā£45 with no loss of channels. TV is moving on at a pace.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We go to Spain and Portugal for 12 weeks. I assume getting UK stations over there is a no no? Or am. I wrong?

I think if you go down the satellite route you need something big. Perhaps 1.2 metres. I could be wrong.

For WiFi. The problem is with country restrictions and is something which would have to be looked into. Restrictions can be avoided with a VPN. But I thing that the broadcast experts are not always fooled by them.

For me, it would depend on my requirements. My hard disk would provide me with content if we got bored. But I would like access to news channels if poss. BBC is usually accessible.

If I really wanted a film I could just hire one.

If your need is heavy, it would need greater investigation.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We go to Spain and Portugal for 12 weeks. I assume getting UK stations over there is a no no? Or am. I wrong?
We had a Satfi dome and for Sky channels it worked as far down as Valencia . At 85cm satellite dish should work further down to south coast of Spain.
You can get BBC and ITV as far down as Roses in Spain with a 85cm dish. I doubt very much if you can use BBC or ITV players on the continent as they will be blocked.

Reactions: PTA and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I get the feeling there is an antipathy towards the old tried and tested satellite for caravans. I do not accept using mobile phone type systems etc will give you full Sky TV .
We have the full Sky package with all the frills, expensive but we like it and have enjoyed it since 1998. SWMBO loves the sport and Football šŸ˜„.
A lot of areas , even in the U.K. do not have good mobile phone reception nor Wifi.

The map below shows the availability of Sky using a 65-85 cm dish. Note South Spain is covered.
So my friends I appreciate all your alternative suggestions but sadly none of them will work for us 100%.

Attachments

• B14E145A-9372-46FC-ABE5-3088588E2825.jpeg
    B14E145A-9372-46FC-ABE5-3088588E2825.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 4
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Where we live in the UK the mobile signal is almost non existent like many other parts of the UK. We have never had an issue with signal in either France or Spain!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I get the feeling there is an antipathy towards the old tried and tested satellite for caravans. I do not accept using mobile phone type systems etc will give you full Sky TV .
We have the full Sky package with all the frills, expensive but we like it and have enjoyed it since 1998. SWMBO loves the sport and Football šŸ˜„.
A lot of areas , even in the U.K. do not have good mobile phone reception nor Wifi.

The map below shows the availability of Sky using a 65-85 cm dish. Note South Spain is covered.
So my friends I appreciate all your alternative suggestions but sadly none of them will work for us 100%.

I disagree Dusty. I have simply made observations regarding the validity in this day and age. No antipathy whatsoever. Thought it might be an opportunity for the OP to explore alternatives. I have already stated that if it suits your situation that is fantastic. But I do not want the weight, inconvenience and cost involved when modern alternatives do the job. But then we are only light users

John

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We had a Satfi dome and for Sky channels it worked as far down as Valencia . At 85cm satellite dish should work further down to south coast of Spain.
You can get BBC and ITV as far down as Roses in Spain with a 85cm dish. I doubt very much if you can use BBC or ITV players on the continent as they will be blocked.

This site says a VPN works fine. I have not tested it.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I disagree Dusty. I have simply made observations regarding the validity in this day and age. No antipathy whatsoever. Thought it might be an opportunity for the OP to explore alternatives. I have already stated that if it suits your situation that is fantastic. But I do not want the weight, inconvenience and cost involved when modern alternatives do the job. But then we are only light users

John
But John
None of your suggestions offer the full Sky package. If I have missed anything let me know. At the end of the day we need to hear from PTA on precisely what he wants not we thinkšŸ˜œ

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
But John
None of your suggestions offer the full Sky package. If I have missed anything let me know. At the end of the day we need to hear from PTA on precisely what he wants not we thinkšŸ˜œ

Truth is I'm not quite sure what I want!
I suppose the key word for me is "simplicity."

As I already have a fairly large sat dish (sorry, can't remember dimensions and it's in storage with the caravan) I was considering how best to use it. A TV with built in Freeview would seem to be the best bet. Priority is for use in UK, but a bonus would be ability to use in S Spain and Portugal, but that's not essential...again simplicity would be the priority (without messing about with phones etc.).

Many thanks for all responses so far.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Truth is I'm not quite sure what I want!
I suppose the key word for me is "simplicity."

As I already have a fairly large sat dish (sorry, can't remember dimensions and it's in storage with the caravan) I was considering how best to use it. A TV with built in Freeview would seem to be the best bet. Priority is for use in UK, but a bonus would be ability to use in S Spain and Portugal, but that's not essential...again simplicity would be the priority (without messing about with phones etc.).

Many thanks for all responses so far.
I may be wrong, but doubt very much if you will get Freeview anywhere in Spain.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
But John

True. But I have no idea what the full Sky package is. And you are correct. We don't know the OPā€™s needs, which I keep saying. At no point have I criticized others for their requirements which are very different to mine. You have made many good points as to why the package suits your needs. Which is excellent.

John

Reactions: PTA and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
For years we suffered very poor TV reception, ghosting, fade outs etc. 24 years ago Sky gave us a perfect picture, a massive range of channels. It is expensive but thatā€™s down to the individual to choose the package , top to bottom that suits them.

There was a chap named David Sullivan who ran a fantastic web ā€œ Satellite for caravansā€ . Following his guidance and the then Melksham Satellites for the hardware it all fell into place.

Grantown on Spey site actually has plug ins on the EHU for your ease of use. If you donā€™t have your own Sky box they rent you one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts