Caravan satellite TV. Decided to join the 21st Century.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all that. You’ve jogged my memory. I’ve stuck with the Sky+ box purely for the ease of not needing the second box. I expect the time will come when I will have to upgrade at home but will probably retain Sky+ in the caravan. Are the ID cards interchangeable?

Sorry can't help with that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The two cables from the correct LNB go into the Q box and will set you up in one location in your van. My LNB has two connections for Q and four standard ones and I use one of the standard ones to run a cable to the second location and use a standard Freesat box. I have not found a way of getting Q to a second location because you cannot use one of the mini boxes you have at home because of no WiFi.
There may be someone with more knowledge than me who has managed it but I haven't. So I have a cheap Manhattan Freesat box in the bedroom but working from the same LNB but on the standard connection.

Not sure if the same would apply to Sky Q. We have the twin LNB and have split the HDMI signal from the Sky+HD box so we have two HDMI points in the caravan. Obviously we had to run a HDMI cable from the HDMI splitter to the HDMI point in the bedroom, but no big deal.

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
We have LG with built in satellite, 24 '' screen from Argos, from memory less than £200. so don't need a box, will get Freesat not Sky. The best thing I invested in was a decent satellite finder, the sort with a screen and signal strength display, mine is Primesat FS 700, we were in Brittany for past 2 weeks and had sharp, picture and took approx 10 mins to get it working

Hi. Can I quiz you on the Primesat.
I currently have a SF500 which I have had for years and it is just starting to play up.
The Primesat is one option as a replacement. Can you tell me how it powers up? Does it clearly show signal strength and quality on the screen and any other useful bits of info.
Thanks
Andrew

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think it is very basic compared with some of the semi pro ones.
Would you need a semi pro signal meter. What we liked about ours was that besides the satellite signal it could also find UHF. I assume the newer one can find nearest digital signal.

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
They call them semi pro for selling purposes I think. They are good because they have several European satellites listed and loaded in case you want astra 19 in Europe when you can't get astra28. Also when you have selected the satellite you want they only look for that satellite so you should never pick up the wrong one. They give you very clear signal strength and quality readings.

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Satlink WS6908 - plenty on fleabay and it doesn't cost the earth. Make dish alignment a doddle in poor signal areas.

I haven't needed to use mine for some years but the version I have IMSMC doesn't know about Astra 28E and you have to use something like Arabsat which is half a degree away. Given a 60cm ovoid dish as I use has a beamwidth of about 2deg that makes life easy.

I have an even easier way. I have a Vsonic (I think that's the name) sat Rx that I bought from Leroy Merlin in France. I got that unit because the TV we were using at the time didn't have AV inputs so I had to use a Rx with a modulator output. When we changed the TV and got one with a SCART socket I found out that in alignment mode it produced a tone on the sound that went up in pitch with signal strength. Thereafter it to me all of about 2 minutes to align the dish once it was mounted on its tripod!

Final tip: if you are taking a dish and tripod with you, replace the nuts that lock the dish elevation and the nuts that you tighten to hold the U-bolts on the pole/bracket - replace them with wing nuts. It speeds up adjustment enormously. Get them in the UK - wing nuts are all but unheard of in Europe especially France!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts