Caravan security while at dealer / service agent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry originally posted in wrong place. Let's try again

Currently my caravan is being returned to the main dealer for attention. They have requested i take 'any security devices you may have so we may ensure the security of your caravan while with us'

I have never had such a request before in 47 years of caravan ownership.

I shall comply, but only with the written provision that, in the event of an incident, they will be able to prove that they had applied the devices correctly - probably not an easy matter to prove.

Has anyone else had similar requests ? Any suggestions for a suitable reply ?

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a right load of old tosh...So the dealer is going to fit your hitch lock, wheel clamp, steady locks, set alarm etc. And he will guarantee to do this at any time the van is unattended ???

Tell him you want this assurance in writing and that you will forward this to your insurance company. .......

I bet the dealer backs down...never heard of this requirement before.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We did have this some years ago where the dealer kept the caravan in a storage area behind the main dealership which was more vulnerable. Sorry I am not sure what the problem is, the dealer is clearly trying to improve the security when he has the caravan on his premises and I cannot see any downside except in the case of fire they cannot move it quickly. If your security devices are fitted when on their premises then clearly the caravan will be more secure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If a dealer takes a customers property onto their premises, they have a duty of care to protect it from loss or damage.

How much protection they must provide or how they achieve it may be down to consultation between dealer and customer, but if what you can provide enhances that protection then its probably not unreasonable.

However, you should seek reassurance that all the devices you supply will be used, at all times when the caravan is left unattended.

Now this is where Ray and I may disagree, It is my policy to make it very clear to to any service agent or dealer that takes or has control of my property, that I will hold them directly responsible for its safe keeping. So far nothing untoward has arisen to test it. - perhaps they take extra special care.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that a dealer taking a caravan in for work to be done is a bailee at law. That means that they should take all reasonable precautions to protect the customers property but are not absolutely liable for any loss or damage. If for instance someone breaks through good security gates and steals your caravan the dealer will have no liability for the loss so if the dealer wants to put your wheel clamp on it will help. At the same time I suppose they are demonstrating that they take the same care of your property as you do.

ProfJohnL said:
If a dealer takes a customers property onto their premises, they have a duty of care to protect it from loss or damage.

How much protection they must provide or how they achieve it may be down to consultation between dealer and customer, but if what you can provide enhances that protection then its probably not unreasonable.

However, you should seek reassurance that all the devices you supply will be used, at all times when the caravan is left unattended.

Now this is where Ray and I may disagree, It is my policy to make it very clear to to any service agent or dealer that takes or has control of my property, that I will hold them directly responsible for its safe keeping. So far nothing untoward has arisen to test it. - perhaps they take extra special care.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ray. As I see it your dealer/service agent cannot really prove anything and for that matter neither could you,I nor anyone else for that matter. When we as the owner of the caravan carry out all that is required to conform with the Terms & Conditions of the insurance the proof of correct fitments of security items and the setting of an alarm is entirely in our own hands and that is generally acceptable by the insurance company. I personally take day/date stamped j-peg images of my caravan when locked up and left. The setting of the alarm is confirmed with a double bleep audible sound.
That said the only way in this day and age at the dealership/repair agents is for a third party at the dealership to Video Record with sound and a verbal commentary of the procedure. That tape should be retained and added to each time that the caravan is worked on and or moved and re-secured. Then and only when the caravan is collected after the necessary work is completed and the customer is happy can that tape be cleared and ready for a further similar exercise.
The associated cost of carrying this out would be minimal and I am sure it would be a small initial cost and inconvenience compared to what might transpire in the event of an incident of theft and or damage.

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
We did have this some years ago where the dealer kept the caravan in a storage area behind the main dealership which was more vulnerable. Sorry I am not sure what the problem is, the dealer is clearly trying to improve the security when he has the caravan on his premises and I cannot see any downside except in the case of fire they cannot move it quickly. If your security devices are fitted when on their premises then clearly the caravan will be more secure.

Just browsing the forum and came across this reply to the OP. We "lost" a Bailey to fire at a dealers premises back in 2009? It was in for a warranty repair and had been there for about 5 weeks. A large number of 'vans went up that night and initially arson was suspected. 48 hours or so later this was decided not to be the case. We were unable to claim against the dealers insurance. We had to claim off our own insurance, at our cost! I don't think we have ever really got over this incident. It has always left a nasty taste and in reality, cost us over £1,500 as a result. On top of this, we then lost our NCB and had to start again in this respect. Because we had made a claim, our premium went up. To this day, the dealer has ever made contact with us to ask if we needed help at all and needless to say, we don't frequent this dealership anymore.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts