caravan service

Jul 12, 2007
Visit site
i brought a 17 year old swift corniche one owner private sale. i checked it out and i thought it was ok. Anyway i took it to barons for a service, they did a few minor jobs but when i went to pick it up they never said about the damp. i ask them when you contacted me about other items why did,nt you tell me ,they said they leave it to last, and tell you on collection. i paid the bill £300(£200 service)if i new ther was damp i wound,nt of carried on with the service. **should this be allowed** .i now have a £1600 1990 caravan with damp. oh they said we will give you £800 if i brought a caravan. do i lose £1100 0r what. i have had a static for years now i wish i hadnt botherd getting a tourer ***help what da i do???

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Did they say how bad the Damp is?

How long do you intend to use/keep your caravan for?

Did you get the Discovery group head office no. and address?

If its not to bad and you intend to keep the van for a few years get it fixed. Only an expert on this can tell you you how bad it is. Damien on here can tell you more.

If you think you have been treated badley by Barrons get in touch with the Discovery group direct as they own Barrons and they are having a big push on customer service.

You may get some money back. Tell them how dissapointed you were that you were not contacted when the damp was found and you would have willingley paid for the work done. Also state that if you had been told you would not have continued with the service. Hope this helps -

Jul 12, 2007
Visit site
Did they say how bad the Damp is?

How long do you intend to use/keep your caravan for?

Did you get the Discovery group head office no. and address?

If its not to bad and you intend to keep the van for a few years get it fixed. Only an expert on this can tell you you how bad it is. Damien on here can tell you more.

If you think you have been treated badley by Barrons get in touch with the Discovery group direct as they own Barrons and they are having a big push on customer service.

You may get some money back. Tell them how dissapointed you were that you were not contacted when the damp was found and you would have willingley paid for the work done. Also state that if you had been told you would not have continued with the service. Hope this helps -
there was 90% in the front below windows and upto 25% other places

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, I understand your frustration with what has happened.

As far as the order of work during a service, it is normal for the damp check to be left until last, as the service center, or engineer should open all the cupboards, lockers etc etc and leave them open to allow every area to settle to a stable and constant atmosphere.

With hindsight, what you should have asked them to do was the damp check first, but that would have almost undoubtedly meant the van being with them for 2 days instead of one.

Did you get a Damp Report with all the readings marked on it?

With damp readings there are various degrees of dampness, some which are normal, as the van is made of wood or wood products and are expected to be mildly damp.

The mid range readings are warning signs that al is not as it should be, but early action should sort the problem out.

High readings mean the damage is done, and some or quite a lot of stripping and replacement work is needed.

Some more detailed info would be good.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
there was 90% in the front below windows and upto 25% other places
You asked for a service and thats what you got,Personally speaking i do not trust any dealer what so ever as they are all out to make money,If the damp is that much i would consider DIY,anybody with a bit of commen and know how you can rebuid the front end and also there are people on here that have done such a task,

I for one rebuilt the front end of mine last year around three window frames and the main joist and also repaired the floor in 2006 and now the van is more solid now than what it was when it was built,dealer wanted

Jul 12, 2007
Visit site
n/s 70% below window front.90% in roof front{softboard} between 17-19% on roof

o/s 50% below window front also roof as above bathroom window 40%

u can only notice below front windows

barons said it could cost about

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Andrew in Technical there are instructions to repair the Damp and to repair lamination. If you can't find what you need put a post on, you will soon get the help you need.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Andrew,

Ok,so some of the readings are high, which means that some kind of remedial work is going to have to be done.

The quote from the dealer of course takes into account his opeating costs, so if you are handy with a saw, screwdriver , hammer and basic woodwork skills, you could tackle this as a winter project, if you have somewhere under cover to store the van.

The usual makeup of a van is outer skin of either aluminium or GRP, center insulation of polystyrene sheet and a 3mm plywood inner finish wall board.

Along anywhere cupboards are fitted will be stringers (probably 2" x 1") under the plywood, and a frame of wood around window openings, these are stuck to the outer skin.

Your problems seem to be, without seeing the van, water ingress from the cover strips on the outside of the van, and from the awning rail, as well as window rubbers needing replacing.

If you do it yourself, I guess you could at least halve the cost you have been quoted.

BUT,,,,,it is only when you have discovered the actual extent of the problem that you will be able to have a better idea of cost.

All the parts you would need are available through various outlets, such as wall boards from O'Learys, window seals from Seals Direct

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts