Caravan Service

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys this post is probably more for anybody in the Nothamptonshire area .Today I have had our caravan serviced by a mobile service engineer John Doman Of Missions Impossible.
I stayed with this engineer from start to finish of service which he was quite happy for me to do, he doesnt miss a thing very very thorough and very clean in his work I am very pleased with his service and everything is on a 3 page service sheet.Not only does he service caravans but supplies and fits motor movers. I would recommend this engineer to anybody.
The cost of a service is £150 for a single axle and £175 for a twin. he will be happy to share a tale or two as well.
Well done missions Impossible.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Ours was done today by our regular chap (NCC approved obviously) £185 so only a tenner in it!! wonder what the dealer would be charging! Just wish we didn't have to go back once Coachman give the okay for having the 30% damp sorted!! GRRRRRRRR!!! What was awfully good fun was looking at the latest project in the workshop, his mini caravan for his grandaughter to have as a playhouse in the garden. A long way from finished but a cracking job!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Martin our Local Dealer where I purchased the caravan wanted just over £300 for the service but £15 of that was extra for C/O check I stayed with our engineer and I fail to see where that cost is justified, I know the dealer has overheads but I guess as nothing only the one shot nuts had to be changed you are looking at about £150 and hour.Ive benn in the wrong job???????

Dec 5, 2006
Visit site
My service guy is John Neal is based in Rugby is a mobile engineer and is very thorough does a fantastic job and only charges £90 for a single axle van, the only down side is you have to book well in advance as he is very busy and I swear by him and wont have any one else

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Martin our Local Dealer where I purchased the caravan wanted just over £300 for the service but £15 of that was extra for C/O check I stayed with our engineer and I fail to see where that cost is justified, I know the dealer has overheads but I guess as nothing only the one shot nuts had to be changed you are looking at about £150 and hour.Ive benn in the wrong job???????

That's overheads and a half!! I wouldn't of trusted our local dealer even before they lost their franchise to sell Coachman (never bought from them either) my chap has the overheads of workshop, shop and staff (okay not the most pleasant of locations) but loves his job and is just interested in making an honest living and not ripping people off. Perhaps a good few dealers could learn from us all, but then there seem to be plenty of mugs going back time and time again!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sir Roger Ole bean how are?
Mine is having service mid May, local mobile ncc approved very good chappy but ours is £179.00 but includes the one shot nuts (providing I dont need any thing else done) looks like he is a bit more expensive than most on here but hey cant be bothered to trundle to a dealer and back and they will fit it in sometime that week!! By the way Single axle,
Always nice to hear of good service though.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
My Bailey dealer charged £195 which included water filter change.

I don't know which area posters come from but I would guess the great north/south divide is alive and kicking. The cheapest service I can find for a single axle (without water filter) is £195 from a mobile fitter. As for my local Bailey dealer, I'd need to take out a second mortgage.
smiley-cry.gif

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi because I like caravans and enjoy talking about them I was thinking of opening a venus dealership in Dagenham essex, I was told by people on diffrent sites it would be to dear not much money in it.
I was all so told of dealerships going bust they have to make a living tax inssurance wages electrics all the normal out goings we all want some thing for nouthing me included may be thats why the country is in the state it is, I phoned a caravan dealer the other day about a new van the bloke was going to add a extra pack for free to get a deal that money had to come from some where may be he would have taken on some one Ill never know.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
slowsod said:
I was told by people on diffrent sites it would be to dear not much money in it.

I appreciate that any business has overheads, however with a single axle service taking around 4 hours if a mobile fitter can arrange 2 services in the same area it's still a gross income of £400 a day. Another mobile fitter, who charges slightly more, does servicing at the storage site I use. He told me he services about 75% of the vans in the compound and is fully booked for the foreseeable future.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We've always used a mobile engineer and he's even done the warranty work on the two new vans we've bought. Last year he charged us £130 and he's doing the next service in July. Probably gone up this year.
Given the choice of taking it to the dealer, albeit only about 6 miles away, and paying their prices and having Richard come to the house and costing less there's always only going to be one winner.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A thorough service on a caravan should take a lot less than 2 hours and then you have to pay for any parts used and consumables. The rest of the time is spent checking various things like whether doors open and close properly and for this you are probably paying £45 an hour! They do not service the gas appliances, the fridge, electrics or water systems in a normal service. If they have to service the gas system that is extra!.

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Whoever you all use.
Just be careful that they are watched by a governing body like the Caravan Club etc. They are monitored every year and tools are calibrated. They should be NCC Approved!
I know a guy who had a major problem after his van was serviced by another so called engineer. On inspection after the service had caused a crash it was found that the wrong center wheel nuts had been fitted. The engineer told the customer to f***k off. It's now in the hands of the County Court and the customer is £900 out of pocket!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'd take it to County Court too, with language like that.
Some of us have bitter experiences at the hands of an NCC Approved outfit so there's no guarantees either way.

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I live in Sheffield, and my local dealer and also supplying dealer is based in Bawtry. I enquired about their service price and was told £240 for a single axle gold service, which i obviously needed to maintain my warranty. I searched the NCC website and also the approved repairers site and found GW caravan services ltd at Creswell. This company had reviews of 99% positive and after talking at length to James on the phone and being quoted £140 for a single axle service, plus consumables. I decided to take a chance. I also had checked out further to find the comaplny are Caravan Club, and also an approved Swift repairer too, which gave me a great deal of confidence. I took the van in on the aggreed morning with a promise it woould be ready for collection later that day. and good to his word it was ready for collection that afternoon and after being taken through a very detailed service report, in which he highlighted a minor gas leak which rather surprisingly James told me was 'within agreed limits' but his opinion is no gas leak should be within limits, and as such it was repaired and re checked. Also the fact my fire extinguisher has no brackte was brought to my attention, such was his detailed work. My invoice was £153 including the one shot nuts and consumables. All in all very highly recommended and he will have a loyal customer for many years to come. As a side note what a refreshing change it was to drop off my van for work and collect it the same day rather than drop it off and get it back at the dealers leasure.....

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Met the mobile engineer working on the storage site we use. He charges £200 for a service which seems a bit higher than most but he is still £30 cheaper than the dealer and I save the cost of towing 60 miles both ways and the empty mileagethere and back so it might be worthwhile using him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts