Caravan servicing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I brought my caravan four years ago from the branch of a dealership. The branch has now closed and their nearest one is now some way from my home. The dealership had a stand at the NEC and I mentioned this to them and they said no problem our engineer will come to you. I made the arrangements, agreed the price of £ 103 + vat, and today was the day for the servicing. When the engineer arrived I was very surprised when he said that for insurance reasons he was not able to do any checks or adjustments of the 'running gear' i.e brakes, wheel bearings, tyres, wheels etc. I understand that if there had been remedial work, that possibly the engineer could not have been expected to fix it on my drive but basically we are talking about adjustment and inspection.

I was under the impression that they would be servicing it in line with my handbook 'Annual Service Record'. which emphasises the importance of section A 'Chassis', which includes the 'banned' items. The engineer did not have a stamp to complete the record, which is perhaps a good thing as a completed record could give false assurance. i did not get a check list of what he did check.

As you can imagine I am not happy and have complained to the dealership.

Is this normal practice with mobile fitters these days? It certainly wasn't 10 years ago when I last used a local freelance one?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE THEN?? THE RUNNING GEAR,BRAKES ETC ARE A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THE CARAVAN SERVICE,FOR HIM NOT TO HAVE DONE THEM AND THEN CHARGE YOU A FULL SERVICE PRICE BEGGARS BELIEF,I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO THE SERVICE TAKING PLACE IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, BECAUSE OF WHAT HE SAID HE CAN, AND CANT DO.YOU MUST TAKE THIS FURTHER,YOU ALSO SAID HE WOULD NOT STAMP THE BOOK,THAT IS YOUR PROOF OF SERVICE,AT THE END OF THE DAY HE HAS TAKEN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WHAT THE HELL HAS HE DONE THEN?? THE RUNNING GEAR,BRAKES ETC ARE A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THE CARAVAN SERVICE,FOR HIM NOT TO HAVE DONE THEM AND THEN CHARGE YOU A FULL SERVICE PRICE BEGGARS BELIEF,I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT HAVE AGREED TO THE SERVICE TAKING PLACE IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, BECAUSE OF WHAT HE SAID HE CAN, AND CANT DO.YOU MUST TAKE THIS FURTHER,YOU ALSO SAID HE WOULD NOT STAMP THE BOOK,THAT IS YOUR PROOF OF SERVICE,AT THE END OF THE DAY HE HAS TAKEN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have Charnwood Services (Leicestershire) do my "chassis only" service on my drive. They are NCC approved and stamp my book each year. He does the full works, removing wheels and hubs, fitting new hub nuts, adjusting the brakes, etc, etc. I don't let him inside the van as I am quite capable of servicing the internal fittings and doing the damp check (I have a better meter than him anyway!). He charges a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The engineer was not freelance but employed by the dealership. He was very apologetic but said it was their policy due to insurance restrictions. I used the dealership, as opposed to a local mobile engineer, because I purchased the van from them and had reasonable service in the past when I took it for servicing at the branch of the dealership that is now closed. I agree with what you say regarding the 'inside' and I think that any competent diy owner can service the van and in future I shall. The days when 'Practical' in front of caravan, car mechanic etc. meant magazines that showed you how to maintain the caravan or car are long gone. The industry has also made life difficult with the introduction of 'one shot' hub nuts as opposed to taper bearings with castallated nuts etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts