caravan servicing

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I've a 1991 elddis shamalxl and being as I acquired it back in november before starting the season(bit late some of you will say).I have decided to have a service,I've been quoted 135 pounds is this about right or are they ripping me off.Your views would be appreciated.

Dec 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes thats not too bad, just be careful to tell them to discuss the cost of any work before they do it, I think they must do this by law now anyway, but don't say 'whatever it needs, do it' you could get a shock!

I'd get it in as soon as they have a slot. I'm a motor mechanic but I have my caravan serviced by a dealer because of the gas & electric side of things.

G

You may wish to clarify with the dealer exactly what you are getting for your money. In most cases the 'service' does not actually fix anything. What they will do is check out the gas equipment is functioning properly and similarly the fridge, although they will not remove it from the housing. So they do not clean the burners etc. They will do a damp check and will blow out the brake drums and check the brakes are working fine. They will not remove the drums unless asked, and you pay the time and the new nuts. They will also check the towhitch for damage.

The point is that if there are faults then they will, advise and you will arrange, and of course pay, to have these corrected.

I sometimes feel people get confused when they see the word 'service' and assume it is similar to what happens to their car. It is more a habitation check. It will take a morning to complete and so for

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
scotch lad,

i feel i must put you right on a few point. hubs are removed and not blown out as you suggest. they are removed to inspect the brake linings, check the hubs for overheating ridges or damage, everything is cleaned with brake cleaner and the shoes roughed with emery cloth, the adjuster/compensator is checked for operation and a smear of copper slip if required, the hub seals and bearings are also inspected and tested and the retainer springs are inspected and check for correct location.

and when during a car service is the clutch, gearbox, diffs, alternator, starter motor etc removed to see if working correctly? do they not report a problem and charge additionally for any remidial work? in this respect we offer the same level of service for a caravan as any car

G

I disagree. At my caravan service on 2 separate vans it most certainly was the case that drums were NOT removed unless previously requested. They were blown to clear dust as quoted by the workshop manager. I asked for this in fact to be done and was advised that it was not a normal part of the service, but as I insisted this was completed, and I was charged extra. This was by a reputable main dealership.

I also made the point that many people would expect a 'service' to include maintenance of the fridge unit as per the manufacturer, but as it is not normally removed, this cannot be done. It is merely checked to be working correctly. This has been confirmed in articles in both the caravan and motorhome Press. If you wish it done it must be authorised in advance.

I note I also stated that any customer should enquire as to what exactly he/she is getting for their money, to avoid confusion.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps this will help?

Go to this website and click on "Caravan Chassis Handbook" and it will tell you all you need to know about servicing the running gear.

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/support-misc.asp
And it does state that the brakes should be adjusted through the service hole. No mention of removing the drum. I think the practice of removing the drums is a service con trick in order to extract a few extra pounds from your wallet. The bearings are "greased and sealed for life and no adjustment is necessary".

I was told that the nuts are replaced each year by dealers with a nut which has a different colour insert so that dealers can tell when you last had your van serviced. Does anyone have any evidence of this?

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
im sorry but that is an idiots guide for simple adjustment of the brakes. as a fully qualified caravan service technician who has been on the alko training courses a few times over my 19years, the servicing of brakes is more than just the adjustment. for any people doubting what has been said i suggest they contact alko`s service team and ask what should be done when servicing the brakes and chassis.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

Just had my caravan serviced by a well known dealer in Surrey Guilford area. The drums are not removed unless previously requested. There just checked through the inspection hole in the back plate and adjusted if needed. (I ASKED).

I also asked if the fridge was serviced that many people would expect a 'service' to include maintenance of the fridge unit as per the manufacturer, It is merely checked to be working correctly. If you wish it done it must be authorised in advance at extra cost.Grease up and visual checks and damp check. COST

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
caravan oracle

6 Apr 2009 06:54 PM like i said before if you dont believe me then ring alko, thats if they will actually tell an untrained nobody.

I think you have just lost all credibilty by resorting to this kind of comment!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Perhaps C O is providing better service at his establishment,giving better value for money by going the extra bit and removing the drums to check brake linimgs,after all a siezed adjuster or detatched spring would be hard to see through an inspection hole.surely there must come a time also on a service planner,were a major service would require a brake strip.On the other hand how would people feel if drums were getting stripped and inspected properly, for the same price as getting looked at through the inspection holes.

G

I think we can learn something from our motorhome cousins. They have to get what is called a 'Habitation Check' done on their vehicles each year. This is basically the same as what we get for our 'caravan service' and is basically a check that everything is functioning correctly. It does not include removal of any item for a detailed check. It also includes a damp check

Of course they have to get the vehicle side of things serviced separately as per each manufacturer's recommendations.

As far as caravan wheels are concerned I feel it is up to each owner to decide what mileage the caravan has completed in a season, and use common sense. If the van has only done a few thousand miles, then it is unlikely major failings have occurred especially if everything is still working correctly. If however there are sounds of squealing and/or poor or unstable braking then of course get the things checked thoroughly. I would suggest a full check at for example every 10000 miles, which in my case is every 2-3 years.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Just for everyone to know had the service done and was well pleased.Bearing in mind the van is 1991 it passed with flying colours....well almost...the carver burner module has had it so its a new one ..reckning about 120 pound for new one then labour to fit bringing it up to about 170. A small price to pay for peace of mind.Cost of service 135 and 25 pound to fit new Alko 3004 hitch and tow bar..sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts