Caravan Show Feb 24

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just been watching the show being broadcast on TV. Compared to the crowds I remember from years ago, it was empty. I wonder if that is the impression from members who are visiting this year.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wish I could remember where, but very recently I have seen a report that suggests both touring and mobile home sales are down quite dramatically.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just looked on the ticketing site. You can still buy tickets. I seem to remember that this time last year it was largely sold out.
mel

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We attended yesterday, got there in time for the opening, and it appeared to fill up a bit quicker than previously. In the past we tended to have run out of puff by about 2pm,but this year were later and by 4pm it was emptying.
Observations:
Food with one exception was eye watering (a 6" Subway which in the High Street is about a fiver was £9.90). The exception was Cornish Bakery whose traditional pasties were £4.90.
No give away bags to carry your leaflets in.
Traffic chaos in the area due to HS2 construction.

We came away having ordered an upgrade to a 2024 Unicorn Cabrera... Didn't mean to, honest, guv.

PS. For a caravan show, there weren't many vans there. No Swift group, only really Bailey, Coachman and Adria. Full of camper vans and motor homes.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We attended yesterday, got there in time for the opening, and it appeared to fill up a bit quicker than previously. In the past we tended to have run out of puff by about 2pm,but this year were later and by 4pm it was emptying.
Observations:
Food with one exception was eye watering (a 6" Subway which in the High Street is about a fiver was £9.90). The exception was Cornish Bakery whose traditional pasties were £4.90.
No give away bags to carry your leaflets in.
Traffic chaos in the area due to HS2 construction.

We came away having ordered an upgrade to a 2024 Unicorn Cabrera... Didn't mean to, honest, guv.

PS. For a caravan show, there weren't many vans there. No Swift group, only really Bailey, Coachman and Adria. Full of camper vans and motor homes.
Swift seem now to be more active advertising on tv and in publications. Were Swift exhibiting MH and campers?

Ps edit. A nice choice of new caravan. When does it arrive?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if there has been a cultural change? When working we changed caravans every 3/4 years usually as the new models brought a lot more to the table.
The depreciation factor back 20 years ago was running at circa£1k pa.
15 years ago the Wyoming cost £16,750. Px on the Pageant £8,500. I paid £8,250 .
From then on it all went downhill. Prices rose more than expected, new models were not as well thought out as the Wyoming. “Pretty” design took over from functionality.
The Coachmans still have an attraction but at £43k just a step too far now.
We will continue with the Wyoming which needs a few repairs eg fridge door and freezer door hinges had it, AKS left lever handle fractured, leaking basin tap . Not bad for 15 and well within a diy .
Or should we have carried on changing every 3/4 years🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if there has been a cultural change? When working we changed caravans every 3/4 years usually as the new models brought a lot more to the table.
The depreciation factor back 20 years ago was running at circa£1k pa.
15 years ago the Wyoming cost £16,750. Px on the Pageant £8,500. I paid £8,250 .
From then on it all went downhill. Prices rose more than expected, new models were not as well thought out as the Wyoming. “Pretty” design took over from functionality.
The Coachmans still have an attraction but at £43k just a step too far now.
We will continue with the Wyoming which needs a few repairs eg fridge door and freezer door hinges had it, AKS left lever handle fractured, leaking basin tap . Not bad for 15 and well within a diy .
Or should we have carried on changing every 3/4 years🤔
I think that your approach is spot on, I always felt more comfortable after I had had the caravan for a while and knew its shortcoming had been fixed. To us a caravan was a base to go out and explore areas and give a comfortable place to spend the evening be it summer or winter. Our material needs were few and so we were not fussed by having the latest gadgets and apps. Reading many posts on the Forum I do sense that form has taken over from function, and the hassle in sorting out issues has increased such that many owners don't have a clue where to start.

Reactions: RogerL
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We went to the earlier Glasgow show and crowds looked about the same. There was very little new apart from the Beachy though. An interesting concept although it needs a couple of flaws sorting out.

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Swift seem now to be more active advertising on tv and in publications. Were Swift exhibiting MH and campers?

Ps edit. A nice choice of new caravan. When does it arrive?
The build slot is 9th April, so probably may. I didn't notice the MH side of things to be honest. Bailey & COachman had big combined spots, Adria similar, but looking at the map no Swift...

The most interesting thing is the seeming withdrawal from end Island Beds. There were a couple of Coachman and an Adria. Side bed at 7' 6" doesn't work when I'm 6'3". TBH the latest Cabrera is an interesting step up from our 2019... Raised MTPLM, built in TV brackets, dedicated USB sockets (although removed from the lounge spots). MPPT Solar controller, only one roof light in the lounge (two in the 2019) no roof vent in the toilet (opening window instead), external hatches to the underbed storage, sprung upholstery in the lounge (although the bed has reverted to foam matress)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Swift are moving in mysterious circles today. If you are interested take them up on their factory visit. Purchases? No idea which Dealer if any. There’s nothing in Law that says you can’t buy direct from the manufacturer. CRA 2015 applies without reservation

You're Invited to the Swift Motorhome & Campervan Showcase Weekend!​

s.gif
Date: 16th & 17th March 2024 - morning and afternoon sessions are available
Location: Swift Group, Dunswell Road, Cottingham, East Yorkshire, HU16 4JX
Do you need help selecting your first or next motorhome, or have you ever wondered what goes in to making a Swift motorhome? Here's the chance to answer all your questions!

Hi Dusty
You're invited to embark on a journey of discovery at the Swift Factory Tour and Motorhome & Campervan Showcase Weekend! Join us for an unforgettable experience where you'll witness first-hand the meticulous craftsmanship that goes into creating every Swift motorhome.

Here's what you can look forward to during your visit:

Factory Tour*:
Delve behind the scenes as we take you on an exclusive tour of our manufacturing facility in East Yorkshire. Witness the precision and dedication of our SMART Construction that shapes each coachbuilt motorhome in to a masterpiece of design and performance.

Product Showcase:
Explore our latest product ranges up close and personal. Step inside our innovative motorhomes and campervans, and immerse yourself in the comfort and luxury they offer for your adventures on the road.

Meet Our Experts:
Engage with our knowledgeable product experts who will be on hand to answer all your questions and provide insights into the design and features of our vehicles. Gain valuable tips and advice to enhance your travel experiences.

Refreshments:
Enjoy complimentary refreshments during your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Swift Factory Motorhome & Campervan Showcase Weekend for an unforgettable experience!

But hurry - spaces are limited!
Admission to this exclusive event is free, but there is a limited number of places, if you are successful, you will be notified by email.​
s.gif
*Please note: as this is a weekend event, the factory will not be fully operational and some site restrictions apply. Unfortunately, children under 12 years old and dogs (except guide dogs) are not permitted on site, and photography is limited (guidance will be given).
s.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wish I could remember where, but very recently I have seen a report that suggests both touring and mobile home sales are down quite dramatically.
Always difficult to pin the numbers down. A lot depends on the financial year end.
This months PCv has a detailed article on their owners Satisfaction Awards 2024. Worth a read.
Discusses various numbers but not direct sales to date. Mobike home number seem to get muddied with tourers?
This helps a bit but again not definitive https://www.cover4caravans.co.uk/the-status-of-the-caravan-industry-now-and-for-2023/.
If the purchase of new touring models is decreasing maybe the used market prices will increase. The latest top of the range Coachman is now an eye watering £43k new. Probably way beyond the average caravanners pocket😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A bit of a side track here, but if the cost of insuring cars etc is now very high maybe more people will not bother to renew or buy insurance for their caravan which could be a concern?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A bit of a side track here, but if the cost of insuring cars etc is now very high maybe more people will not bother to renew or buy insurance for their caravan which could be a concern?
Caravan insurance doesn’t seem to be rising like car insurance. But if caravan owners are stupid enough not to insure their caravan then they take the risks. The only time they would affect others is if their caravan causes damage or loss to a third party when not being towed and is not covered by their lack of insurance. So they could be facing a civil claim. But it’s their choice.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It would only be of concern to the caravan owner - the car insurance covers third-party risks while towing.

Depreciation remains the biggest single cost of car ownership - that's on average as those of us with older cars now have low annual depreciation - maybe other car owners will decide to keep their cars longer rather than changing them frequently "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Caravan insurance doesn’t seem to be rising like car insurance. But if caravan owners are stupid enough not to insure their caravan then they take the risks. The only time they would affect others is if their caravan causes damage or loss to a third party when not being towed and is not covered by their lack of insurance. So they could be facing a civil claim. But it’s their choice.
You do have to realise the potential for third party damage and injury claims, although they are rare. My experience is the biggest number was from people falling off unsteady steps. Even something as simple as that causing a broken leg can reach tens of thousands of pounds. The really large ones are likely to come from fires in storage areas. In these cases whole rows of caravans and motorhomes can be lost with claims in the hundreds of thousands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts