Caravan taps, how much?!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately the caravan builders do not have a QC ( Quality Control) system that can come down on individuals for the work.
I n my Aviation trade, With my Engineers licence, if I do some wrong, and have sign off my work or someone else's work, and a death happens I can be accused of Manslaughter by law.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I was at the caravan today gathering all the bits and pieces into a plastic tub so I don't lose them. I remembered a plastic collar thing was sat on the sofa, except it wasn't there any more.... I lifted the cushion an got a fleeting glance of it just before it slid down here:

IMG_0774.jpeg

Couldn't have done it if I tried.

I had to remove several screws in awkward places in my attempt to pull out the side of the sofa box. Still couldn't move it but it did enable me to bend the cupboard side in enough to slide in a long cable tie.

One plastic collar finally retrieved minutes before storage site closing:

IMG_0776.jpeg

Also discovered that a piece of the framework for my sofa is split in the process, so that's going to be another thread.

Still amazed. The chances of it landing vertically down that narrow cracK?! I'm going to buy a lotto ticket.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
O rings arrived today. 3mm too small, 4mm can't move the spout. Ordered some 3.5mm ones. Failing that, I think I've found a suitable tap from Screwfix. Also ordered some John Guest 1/2" BZP to 12mm push fit adaptors off Ebay in case I go for the new tap.

The annoying thing about only being able to order certain stuff online is that I can only go over to the caravan at the weekends so I have to pre-empt what I might need. Every time I discover that I need something else which can only be bought online I lose another week and I've got a trip planned for end of May. Some things can be returned if not needed but I'm stuck with all these seals, but at least they don't cost much. :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My home tap started to weep from the bottom of the stem. It came off easily with the help of an allen key. Some silicone grease cured the leak temporarily. I found my box of ‘O’ rings and went to try them. It was clear that 20mm was the right diameter, but the profile of mine is 2.4. This helped me work out the size I need is 20x3. I, therefore, have on order the 3 I need from eBay for less than £4. Fingers crossed.

If you have food grade grease it does help.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re the subject of grease I bought some Black Swan plumbers grease only to find it is petroleum based and not suitable for silicon or rubber o rings. So I returned it and purchased Black Swan Silicone Grease. Guess there may be others out there by different manufacturers.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Chris, I think I read that you needed a small Torx head screwdriver to get something off on the tap. You may have already disassembled it so this is irrelevant, but if not Google search before setting off this weekend. Do report back when you have done the job. Good luck
Mel

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
O rings arrived today. 3mm too small, 4mm can't move the spout. Ordered some 3.5mm ones. Failing that, I think I've found a suitable tap from Screwfix. Also ordered some John Guest 1/2" BZP to 12mm push fit adaptors off Ebay in case I go for the new tap.

I suppose there’s a chance it’s 1/8” (3.125mm-ish), it’s surprising how many things are still to an old imperial size.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
3.5 mm O rings arrived today. They seem to be about right. I won't know if the seal is good enough until I run some water through. I'll refrain from installing the new cartridge until I know it's water tight so I have the option of returning it. I'll keep hold of the BZP to 12mm adaptors in case I do have to replace the tap whilst away somewhere.

Reactions: GaryB
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I put the original tap back together with replacement seals and it was still leaking. A trip to Screwfix and a bit of swearing and tada!

IMG_0787.jpeg

for any masochists out there, I’ve discovered a new and unusual form of torture. It’s trying to refit a sink with a rubber which isn’t sticky any more. Already had that delight once today,I’ll do it another day with the aid of some contact adhesive.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
3.5 mm O rings arrived today. They seem to be about right. I won't know if the seal is good enough until I run some water through. I'll refrain from installing the new cartridge until I know it's water tight so I have the option of returning it. I'll keep hold of the BZP to 12mm adaptors in case I do have to replace the tap whilst away somewhere.
Remember the more spares you carry and where, will effect your Payload and the nose weight of your caravan.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I put the original tap back together with replacement seals and it was still leaking. A trip to Screwfix and a bit of swearing and tada!

View attachment 4587

for any masochists out there, I’ve discovered a new and unusual form of torture. It’s trying to refit a sink with a rubber which isn’t sticky any more. Already had that delight once today,I’ll do it another day with the aid of some contact adhesive.
Remember to use a food friendly lubricant around the sink seals.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Or you could try Amazon for a polypropylene ‘Lankater seal’ which might be just what you need for a neat reseal job
Interesting. Quite similar to the which is on there now. Today when I put it back I went for the contact adhesive. Sink will probably have to come out in the near future when Ilook at improving the room seal on my fridge, so might look at getting some of that stuffi if it glue hasn't held.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts