Caravan Weight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a new caravanner, I wonder if anyone can tell me what the term 'Design Weight' means? My van is a 1989 Cosalt Abbey Lincoln whose plate states 'Design Weight 935kgms' Is this the unladen weight or the equivelent of the mtplm? It is only a 2 berth but has all the extras of the day such as a casette toilet, shower, oven etc... It pulls superbly with my 2002 Nissan Almera Tino 1.8 SE but as I am due to change my vehicle shortly I want to ensure that I pick a car with the corrrect kerbweight. Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Design Weight and Gross Weight on older caravans are broadly equivalent to the current Maximum Technically Permitted Laden Mass (MTPLM). If you overload the MTPLM it's easier for CPS to prosecute you than if you overload Design Weight or Gross Weight. Simply exceeding the MTPLM is an offence. CPS would have to prove danger existed to prosecute for overloading Design Weight or Gross Weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
as stated by rogerl this is true. however, if the "ministry" were to put your car on a weigh bridge and the put your loaded caravan on the same weigh bridge and found that the loaded caravan was heavier than the car you are in trouble, end of story.

do not think this won't happen as this is what happened to me with my 1990 abbey somerset, i was ok.

i suggest that you take your caravan, loaded with what you usually load it with , to a public weigh bridge and have it weighed. this way YOU will know what your minimum weight of car you require. the law says it is your resposibillity to ensure you tow within the law.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts