Caravan without a sink?

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Sitting in the van on a rainy teatime in County Durham,I'm amazed at the number of people who would appear to have purchased caravans that are not equipped with a sink.

It can't be just poor people who have had to forfeit the facility in the interests of their finances.No,some of the people who have to put the washing-up in a bowl and carry it to a communal washing point in the toilet/shower block actually have new caravans and cars.

One couple went to the task together;he carrying the full bowl,she carrying the umbrella.

Others have returned to their vans in a damper state than the crockery.

When did a kitchen sink become an optional extra or am I missing an important part of caravanning ritual?

Dave

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You are missig out on the "caravanning experience". I love the pot wash especially the semi outdoor ones in France. It is a great place to meet others and have a chat. Walking there and back is a small price to pay. Also the less water that is run in the van the less spillage!

mel

May 27, 2008
Visit site
After camping for years,we've just moved to 'vanning and despite now having a sink, we only used it for washing the bedtime drink cups. We too,or rather I(who does the pots!)love the cameraderie of the pot wash!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You either have to fetch and carry the water, or the pots. Not much difference in effort really. There's endless hot water at the potwash, and an enormous sink. The fact that you might meet someone interesting is a bonus.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You're definitely missing out - the 'washing pots' area is a communal meeting room, and an encyclopaedia, internet, library-type resource as well - as all your fellow caravanners share their knowledge about sites, layouts, tips, rules, regulations, and so on. You'll make many friends whilst washing up. Try it next time and see what you think.

May 29, 2008
Visit site
We're new to this but with the cost of gas, having to fetch water to and from the caravan, I can see why people choose to use potwash areas aswell as the apparent social reasons.

MM1

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We too use the pot wash for the same reasons as above but also whilst away on holiday its our children aged 6 & 10's job to do the washing up.. I wouldnt like to think what the caravan would look like after they had finished.. LOL!!

M&M

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
The problem is is size of the sinks in caravans. Very hard to wash up inside after a family of 4 meal. And besides, a bit of peace washing the dishes after said family of 4 meal if often very welcome! Echo the sentiments of others regarding the interesting conversations, tips, places to visit etc that take place amongst the suds.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Well I guess I'm in that camp RogerL. A lot of the pricier sites have better entertainment and other facilities such as swimming pools.

On holiday I'm normally to lazy to head out of the caravan and have my neices trained to collect and empty water. But pans often end up at the pot wash if I've baked something, and it is a good place for a chat and exchange of knowledge and for info about where and where not to go.

Continetal camp site communal BBQ's are also another great place for social intercourse.

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The problem is is size of the sinks in caravans. Very hard to wash up inside after a family of 4 meal. And besides, a bit of peace washing the dishes after said family of 4 meal if often very welcome! Echo the sentiments of others regarding the interesting conversations, tips, places to visit etc that take place amongst the suds.
I agree, since when is a caravan sink ideal for washing up more than wine or beer glassess.........

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess I'm in that camp RogerL. A lot of the pricier sites have better entertainment and other facilities such as swimming pools.

On holiday I'm normally to lazy to head out of the caravan and have my neices trained to collect and empty water. But pans often end up at the pot wash if I've baked something, and it is a good place for a chat and exchange of knowledge and for info about where and where not to go.

Continetal camp site communal BBQ's are also another great place for social intercourse.
'Continetal camp site communal BBQ's are also another great place for social intercourse. '

Filthy Devils!!! ;-)

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
OK.I guess my question was a bit tongue-in cheek.Having caravanned for years,in all seasons,and having watched TBH wash the pots after a full Christmas dinner for two,in the warm,out of the snow and wind,I know which we prefer (And Dee will confirm it is WE).

But you've all raised some very good and interesting points,for which I thank you.

So.Let's expand it a bit:

Question. As the kitchen sink is of no earthly use in today's caravan,what would you replace it with.

Dave

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
I could have bet my house on your reply,Val.

We're away in ours now checking on the dealers warranty repairs.

Any excuse for an off,eh!

Dave

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Question. As the kitchen sink is of no earthly use in today's caravan,what would you replace it with.

----------

That's a tough question Dave but after careful consideration, I'd have to say, I'd replace my kitchen sink with one of these (much more pleasing on the eye and useful in the kitchen area):

richardarmiatage.jpg

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I wouldn't expect a man with his looks to scrub pans......

OMG, Troutbeck, it was absolutely brilliant, the views were spectacular just as you said they are. The wardens were helpful and friendly, everywhere clean and tidy.

We were really lucky because we were blessed with glorious weather believe it or not. LOL!

I'll be stopping there again next year for a bit longer when I go up for the horse fair.

Thanks.

Lisa

May 4, 2005
Visit site
LMH

19 Jun 2008 09:56 PM

I wouldn't expect a man with his looks to scrub pans......

How can you say that Lisa......

.... you know that I do the washing up.

Brian :O)

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Blimey Brian, where did you spring from? Long time no speak.

For those who don't know, Brian is an Italian stallion.

Lisa x

p.s. Hope you are ok, they'll be an email winging its way to you tomorrow with some goss.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd like to replace the shower in my caravan with a similar model to that chosen by Lisa - perhaps the slightly older version??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer Dave's original question, somebody will have to tell me what is "a sink". I will then have a look in my caravan for one.

If there is such a thing, I am sure that Mrs Big Al will know where to find it.

Jul 19, 2005
Visit site
Normally we do our washing up in the sink in the caravan but if the brother-in-law is with us as he insists on rinsing everything under a running tap so he goes off to the washing up area with the dirty crockery etc.

Surely it is the fact that we have caravans that are flexible in how they can be used that makes caravanning so attractive. We have an end washroom with one of the big showers but Chris still tends to use the site showers whilst I will tend to use our own facilities. Similarly despite having a toilet that is comfortable to use I still tend to maximise use of the site facilities as I am the person who has to empty the Thetford tank but would not dream of restricting wife, brother-in-law, or grandchildren in the extent of their use of the caravan's toilet facilities.

But we have the capability of being self-sufficient when necessary which is what happens when we go to Sethorns in the New Forest where Electric Hook Up is the only additional facility to water and chemical closet emptying.

Alun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts