Caravanning after Brexit??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Please forget the politics.
I understand the major manufacturers import approx 70% of their raw materials from Europe on a regular delivery basis. Not quite just in time.
What does all this mean for us punters?
Increased costs? Or will some makers source their materials outside the EU?
Looking at Companies House records a lot of manufacturers have had to hold high levels of finished stocks as the Dealers held back. Not good. But where do us poor old punters stand?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
There is probably a very long answer, but judging by all the post Brexit speculation on the radio, I suspect that the short answer is:
Nobody Knows. :cheer:
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agree with Mel as it’s too complex to really predict. However two aspects could well affect caravans. If the £ dives imported prices will increase unless items can be sourced from cheaper sources. But so many finished items are made in the EU. Lockers, cupboards, fridge, heater, chassis etc. But would any where else in the world be interested in developing and producing kit for a relatively small market. Secondly EU suppliers cost would increase due to increased customs declarations if we had to go onto WTO rules. This would also affect UK exports of caravans as the declarations would be required showing the source of every item in the van. Many of which would have come from the EU anyway. In a nutshell I would see prices increasing, and spares becoming more difficult to source.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's all a massive unknown. But like some of the certainties of life like death and taxes, we are going to have to pay more for most things. Whether those cost increases will be directly attributable to BREXIT may be open to debate, but I'd say it will be responsible ( or at least blamed) for many.

I also believe that which ever political party was in power and having to negotiate the withdrawal from the EU, we'd be seeing very similar levels of discontent from all sides.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It's all a massive unknown. But like some of the certainties of life like death and taxes, we are going to have to pay more for most things. Whether those cost increases will be directly attributable to BREXIT may be open to debate, but I'd say it will be responsible ( or at least blamed) for many.

I also believe that which ever political party was in power and having to negotiate the withdrawal from the EU, we'd be seeing very similar levels of discontent from all sides.

Prof

Spot on. When was working I negotiated several multi million procurement contracts. But in all cases the buyer wanted a product and the seller wanted the business. So although the negotiations were tough there was generally a successful outcome. With leaving the EU there was never the basis for any meaningful negotiation that would lead to a mutually successful outcome. Yanis Varafoukis books, articles and his speeches were a portent of how it would go.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The answer is in reality, nothing will change. Current doomsday scenarios are just, that exploited by both side. I actually import regularly from outside the EU. I can order goods from leave on Friday and be in my office on Tuesday! Second point is there is a whole world out there, being from South Africa they have a thriving "caravan" industry and I will bet the quality is better and cheaper if we imported from there. Don't lose sleep!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree that nothing will change, assuming the thing goes ahead, which is not clear. At the end of the day both sides need to trade and cannot afford the alternative. Given that in reality the Germans rule the EU can you see Mercedes, BMW and VW not influencing things to protect their interests.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presuming Brexit does actually take place, then I am certain many things relating to caravanning will change, both the purchase of said devices and the ay you may be able to access continental touring etc.

Almost certainly more red tape, and possibly more restrictions on where and how long you may tour abroad. Exchange rates will be far more volatile, charges for phones use, and of course medical cover, Duty free allocations also.

Yes I am pretty certain you will still be able to go abroad, and despite any changes many will still wish to do it, but don;t be surprised is it costs quite a lot more,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our main concern would be travelling with the dogs and any new restrictions! Giving France a miss until Macron is booted out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless the Brexit issue is sorted out soon I suspect the French tourist industry will suffer, as will it in some other EU countries.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Unless the Brexit issue is sorted out soon I suspect the French tourist industry will suffer, as will it in some other EU countries.

In another thread I posted how around Carcasonne area there had been a 20+ percent drop in tourist visits in 2018 based on mobile tourists visiting camp sites. That’s a massive drop and it wasn’t all due to Brexit or Brits not turning up. Friends of ours have visited France for many years but after returning home this year decided it had just got too expensive. They use ACSI and travel in early June to early July. So this year they are driving through France to sites near to Barcelona. They don’t want a holiday where they feel restricted to eating out or visiting places.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Raywood said:

In another thread I posted how around Carcasonne area there had been a 20+ percent drop in tourist visits in 2018 based on mobile tourists visiting camp sites. That’s a massive drop and it wasn’t all due to Brexit or Brits not turning up. Friends of ours have visited France for many years but after returning home this year decided it had just got too expensive. They use ACSI and travel in early June to early July. So this year they are driving through France to sites near to Barcelona. They don’t want a holiday where they feel restricted to eating out or visiting places.

On our last visit in September we noticed that that in addition to the high price fo fuel a lot of foodstuffs were a lot more expensive than the previous years. I am sure that the cost of the ferry had also risen.
Another factor is that Brittany Ferries are asking for quite a large deposit upfront and we are not prepared to pay it nearly a year in advance.
I guess that next year for a change we will do the UK instead of France and use CLs as opposed to proper sites.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I suspect that the effect is due to the continued devaluation of the pound against the euro. We holiday in Ireland and have found it increasingly expensive due to the worsening exchange rate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
I suspect that the effect is due to the continued devaluation of the pound against the euro. We holiday in Ireland and have found it increasingly expensive due to the worsening exchange rate.

Never looked at it using the exchange rate. I think the cost of foodstuff went up when Macron increased the price of fuel by nearly €0.20 a litre. I think he is the most unpopular president that France have ever had in the past 100 years!

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
People must remember, exchange rates do not really vary because of specific physical things. Dealers use any excuse to ramp them up and down so that they can make billions!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
People must remember, exchange rates do not really vary because of specific physical things. Dealers use any excuse to ramp them up and down so that they can make billions!

https://money.howstuffworks.com/exchange-rate.htm
There have always been exchange rates. I suspect some Bronce Age sellers of Cornish tin had effective exchange rates when buying Amber from Baltic traders. How else would you buy/sell goods and services between different trading groups. The financial equivalent of Esperanto?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Buckman said:
Dodger524 said:

Never looked at it using the exchange rate. I think the cost of foodstuff went up when Macron increased the price of fuel by nearly €0.20 a litre. I think he is the most unpopular president that France have ever had in the past 100 years!

I've noticed the difference in price compared to a few years ago but its still cheaper for us to go to France than its a family off 4 to Greece , a saving off a few thousand . Depends on peoples circumstances finances .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Buckman said:
Dodger524 said:

I've noticed the difference in price compared to a few years ago but its still cheaper for us to go to France than its a family off 4 to Greece , a saving off a few thousand . Depends on peoples circumstances finances .

I do wonder if you book through one of the clubs or some other organisation if they have a clause which will entitle them to increase charges if the currency moves against us by more than they anticipated. I have not booked anything so it is not a problem for us but it is a potential problem and I would check before booking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm old enough to remember when you needed to get an IDP to drive, canert for the caravan, green card for car insurance travel cheques for money an all without the aid of the internet and we managed pretty well and didn't think too much of it - it was just what you did.
'They' will want want the tourists, the sales in the shops etc. and you can see from current events that 'they' the people can bring a lot of pressure to bear (even if they have to wear yellow vests to do so)
Seasoned European traveller will know that what may be in the law need not - sometimes- be more than an irritation e.g. current French regulations on carrying breathalysers or spare headlamp bulbs.
Give it a short time to settle down, play it low key, and my be is that this time next year - apart from some minor irritations listed above - we shall be back to what passes for normal, at least as far as touring caravanning is concerned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts