Caravanning costs

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As somebody who is seriously thinking about purchasing a caravan for the first time I am looking to all those experienced people for some advice please.

What other costs do you incur during the year when owning a caravan? ie insurance, storage etc

Also we are looking at a Swift Conqueror; is this a good van to own?

Any tips for position of fixed bed options?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi sue apart from insurance and storage there is tha yearly service and general repaires and replacments ie toilet chemicals etc but you are rewarded with total freedom which is great we went for end wash room design which gives us an easy twin full lenght beds or makes up to a kingsize.welike the space in the wash room and have a seperste dinette as well what ever you chose you will have a lot of fun and good holidays for many years the clubs will also give you good advise c&cc or cc have a wonderfull time

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Having had our twin axle pinched last year, i went through the costs equation to decide whether or not to buy another. i came up with the following:

Storage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sue,

Unless you are very lucky and hit upon a 'first timers' deal from your local guardian angel you will after buying the caravan of your dreams still need to buy:-

1. water carrier

2. waste container

3. gas bottle

4. an awning (very essential)

5. table & chairs

6. crockery

7. cutlery

8. pots & pans

9. bedding

to allow you to 'caravan' at the base level, you can of course increase the list dramatically if you have children!

My tip is to find the other first time buyer from last year who did all this but has decided caravanning is not for them and make them an offer.

John k

ps I caravan because I like it not because it's a cheap holiday, it isn't.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why do you want such a big van?? twice as much to insure, more fuel to tow, bigger tow car required etc. Anyway, enough of the negative. Caravanning is brill but for it to be worth it you need to use the van fairly frequently. It is no use just wheeling it out for 2 weeks at July and then complaining it is an expensive hobby. And let me enlighten you - caravanning is a s cheap as you make it. You can have access to certificated location sites if you are members of the c.club or c&c club and what you get for your membership with both of them is nothing short of phenomenal! Monthly mags, maps, discounts on site fees, access to the small 5 van sites I've mentioned just to name a few. If you keep your van at home then that's great but if you can't then I would not recommend a twin axle. You will have to find a special storage site to accept you for insurance purposes and I see too many unhappy caravanners who have had their vans nicked. There is really no need to go for twin axle vans unless 1. you desperately nned the extra space. 2. You are a warden or similar and live in the van. 3. You just really like that particular van and there is no other that suits you.Also bear in mind that some sites abroad can't or won't accept twin axles and in this country you may be restricted in your choice of pitch. Cost wise you will be lokking at anything from 100 to 500 for storage depending on the grading of storage site. Servicing will be about 160 to 170 plus parts. Extra costs again are up to you really. We've been caravanning about 5 years and feel we are fairly conservative in our buying habits i.e we haven't got all the latest gizmos. However, you will need loo chemicals, gas etc for every trip. We think we go through about 70 quid on a really decent site with fuel for 100 miles and caravan stuff for a weekend. Obviously, there is food and entertainment on top of that but you'd have to eat if you were at home wouldn't you?! My advice is get yourself a nice barbecue and invite the neighbours round! For a weekend we usually go about 70 miles away maximum cos we are fortunate we are only an hour from the Lakes. ENJOY YOURSELVES.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Other have covered the standing costs well (but I think some are paying over the odds). It really depends on how many nights a year you plan to spend away, how many people involved and what sort of things you like doing.

Personally, I/we spend around 4 months of the year away, 2 people and like peace quiet and countryside, using CLs in Uk where possible. There is no way we could afford to do this in B&Bs or budget hotels, particularly since we like to get up when we want and not when the establishment demands. Further, we have a non-smoking room each night, our own car to use during the day, and space for all the vitamin and supplement tablets necessary to support our antique frames, not to mention a very short walk to the bathroom in the night !

If you can manage to be away in Spring, you can offset heating costs etc. and if going to Europe offset the cost of gin for (most of) the rest of the year.

Depreciation is not that bad if you don't change vans too often. If you look at 5 to 8 years and/or buying "last years model" new it really is not too bad.

Don't worry too much about the figure- just enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the messages so far give a very diverse but accurate summation of costs. I think we're in the "how long is a piece of string" area here. Have you towed before? The Conquerer is a large beast to tow for a first timer. Extra costs might also include a new towcar. If you still want to proceed with the COonquerer then I would suggest that you get a fixed bed with an end bathroom. The added space in this area is a must

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most of the annual costs have been covered on here, but don't forget all of the "bits & pieces" that you will need to go with the caravan. Awning, Aquarolls, crockery etc, etc. If it is your first time consider buying a cheaper second hand caravan from someone who is giving it up, as you might get a lot of extras thrown in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One way to find out if you will like the life and equipment is to hire a caravan and try it, this way you will find out what extra equipment you need ( as they usually come fully fitted out) and then can look at your costs will be. Some of the costs mentioned in some of the previous posts seem a bit high. Costs will vary with size ,age and value of your van. Hope this helps

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maybe it is just me, but after the initial investment I really do not think it is an overly expensive hobby/holiday? Okay, I am able to store at home, so there is a yearly saving there I guess. Otherwise apart from servicing and insurance, most of the costs are upfront. Oh, I disagree about the awning (with respect!) - it certainly is not a must for us - we manage perfectly well without. Might be different with a big family?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sue, when you order/buy your van (now's a good time as Dealers are more flexible out of season) get the extras thrown in with the deal. We got an Aquaroll, Wastemaster, Electric hook up, 2x6kg butane gas bottles, spare wheel, & hitchlock included in the already discounted price - drive a hard bargain! There's lots of good 2nd hand awnings etc in the caravan mags. We rarely pay more than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and I are just about to buy our first caravan we have looked at (and like) a 1994 "Award Transtar" does anyone have any idea what sort of problems specific to this I should be looking. Also is a price tag of

TRENDING THREADS