CaravanTalk forum suspend Swift Group

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how many on this forum are members or viewers of the CaravanTalk forum? Apparently Swift Group were asked if they would contribute financially to the forum and refused. Therefore the decision was made by the admin to suspend them.

Not good news for Swift owners! Swift have been accused of gaining free PR? No! they were providing a free service to Swift owners.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
In response, Yes Caravan Talk has suspended the Swift Group from their forum and locked us down.

The Swift Group has been removed as we were unwilling to pay tens of thousands of pounds to the forum in order to continue in membership.

Our position is that we do not advertise or promote our products on any forum, we use the forum to help and support our customers. We will not be bullied into this and can not justify these large sums of money and as such kindly declined the Caravan Talk proposal, the result of which being we have been suspended.

Any member of the CaravanTalk forum who wishes to contact us can do so on one of this forum Practical Caravan or of course email me direct on aspacey@swiftleisure.co.uk

We are sorry that this has come to this and wish all members all the very best,

Best Wishes

Andy Spacey

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Andy,

I felt compelled to post on the Practical Caravan forum, as obviously as you say have been locked down on CT forum. I am quite shocked at the amounts of money they were asking for, the other manufacturers on there had better look out! Rest assured, you, Ash and Dave are a valued asset to us owners of the various Swift Group caravan. I and other owner will be relieved to know you guys are still here when needed. Ash has helped me a lot in recent weeks and I am truly grateful. Keep up the good work, we need you guys!!!!

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi David,

Firstly, thanks for your support, and thanks to all the others that have responded to the thread on Caravan Talk.

We always try to support our customers where possible, and offer advice and help. It does seem a shame that we will loose that connection to our customers on that particular forum, especially after making some good friends and, but we still support all our customers on other forums (including this one) and, of course, through our normal channels, including our dealer network.

Thanks,

Ash

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
Having just read the Admin response on the Caravan Talk forum, it has been stated by them that Swift have refused to support them with

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
Andy & Ash, I really struggle to understand the action of the "other" forum.I, for one find your help very usefull and have always been impressed with you all, starting from the "Superstar" Kath. Long may you continue helping.

Cheers

Bernie

May 20, 2006
Visit site
I am getting confused now.

So be fair to Swift (and an Ace owner myself) i have never seen any sign of swift advertising through these forums, the presence has always been for customer support.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I left this forum over an issue of free speech, but I need to comment on this issue.

I've publicly argued with Peter Smith, MD of Swift Group, on a couple of ocassions - long live free speech - and I'd like to applaud his group's efforts to engage with caravanners and at least talk about the issues that bother us, whether Swift customers or not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would offer my support to Swift as I have received help over problems and I know dealerships which feel it helps them in improving customer relations. I can't understand why other manufacturers have not followed suit. The other forum are obviously trying to make an easy killing and they will be the losers.

Keep up the good work Swift

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Have to say, as a soon-to-be Swift owner (and first time caravan owner) I was very impressed with Swift's participation on the Caravan Talk forum. Whilst it did not influence our decision to buy a Swift, it certainly made me think we have made the right choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I seldom post on the CT forum but do keep up to speed with the posts on a regular basis. Swift participation is a great benefit to all owners of their products. This decision to suspend them just seems stupid by CT. I fail to see how Swift get any commercial benefit from this all responses from them are clearly to assist Swift group owners. P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For me I just cannot understand it

After all what we are here for but to get practical advice on caravaning and caravans..

Some two or three years years ago several manufacturers started posting on the forums -- and it was seen as a great acheivement that they thought enough of the forum by offering free and practical advice and help

--- Swift - Bailey - Explorer - Adria/Fleetwood - and others all to a lesser or greater degree contributed.

-- In my estimation it was never seen as a "selling" point by any company.

-- after all its the dealers that sell the vans..

-- rather a customer relations exercise in aftercare

-- and very welcome it has been over the years

-- even to the participation of the Swift Group MD in some of the help discussions.

For them [Swift] now to have been excluded

-- seems to me to be very odd and strange

-- after offering free advice over the years

-- for a forum that openly professes to want to help caravaning.

And some might say a kick in th teeth for all those who have worked hard to make it a success... for success it has been in an active help line..

I think it is very sad that some of the invaluable free practical advice will now have been taken away.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm saddened at the decision by Caravan Talk forum to suspend the participation of Swift Group on that excellent forum and as a member of CT and an owner of an Abbey caravan made by Swift I've also posted to offer my opinion.

To be fair forums can be costly to set up and maintain but the consensus of opinion seems to be in favour of Swifts and opinion was asked for so I really hope that it is taken into account.

On this forum we have to take care that free advertisement doesn't take place whilst at the same time informing members about products and issues surrounding caravans and related subjects.We might not have the best software for this forum but we do enjoy the luxury of having the backing of a major publishing company who produce the UK's leading caravan magazine in the shape of Practical Caravan and other forums might be in a different financial situation.

The freedom of speech issue referred to by Roger earlier can indeed be a thorn in the side, we can't 'name and shame' dealers etc for a variety of reasons but all are welcome to use this forum provided that the rules are not broken.

Manufacturers have read some uncomfortable posts on forums and the rules are slightly more relaxed because by participating they are in a position to know all of the facts and sometimes to put matters right.

I'd like to thank Andy, Ash and all at Swift for continuing with their obvious commitment to improve standards of customer care as well as improving the overall quality of their products partly as a result of forum participation.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to state that all concerned at Swifts have always acted in a professional manner and never attempted to push their products on this forum or any other forum that I've seen. They often act above and beyond the call of duty and forum members benefit enormously from manufacturer participation pioneered by Kath Powell at Swift. One day all caravan manufacturers will see the light and engage with their customers online, Bailey's Kelly Watts often posts advice and help on this and other forums and any manufacturer is welcome here to follow the lead set by Swift.

Andy and his colleagues have even posted on this forum 'out of office hours' to help owners of other makes of caravan i.e. not manufactured at Swifts who have been in trouble and have sought help on this forum.

I sincerely hope that the owners and administrators of Caravan Talk and the management at Swift will resolve their difficulties amicably and equably.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Having read the posts in the past regarding the Swift group I haven't seen them advertise their products on the forum once.

All they have done is to try and help people if they have a grievance with a Swift caravan. Not being a member of Caravan Talk I can't comment but I couldn't imagine that Swift treat that any differently than this forum.

If Caravan Talk do have a change of heart I hope that Swift tell them to pay Swift for the advice given or Caravan Talk can kiss their derriere.

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Swift do not advertise on Caravan Talk either, they give help and advice to owners, they also get a fair bit of stick from disgruntled, angry people. Caravan Talk will be the loser in terms of traffic to their site.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
i have never joined CT but have read from time to time, dont think i will bother now. i am pretty loyal to swift as my van has been nothing short of a joy, i know folk have had their problems but thats always going to be the case, and the folk that have had problems have always had help through these forums from swift.

your loss CT.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Having read the posts it is obviously a bad move by CT if anything to go by their members posts are anything to go by.

I see JonF is the owner, or at least ADMIN but one other member stands out to be supporting him. That is phil1041 who is listed as an 'Approved member'. This is where I get confused because phil1041 says ..

"We recently contacted Swift with a request for some financial support for the forum in return for their significant use of the Swift section. Unfortunately they indicated that they were not willing to support us in this way".

Does this mean that he is also a member of the CT management team and is acting undercover .. heh! heh! heh!

Surely he should be listed as ADMIN to.

Anyway, good luck to Swift from a Bailey owner.

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Well it's nice to see people read a thread completely before asking a question!

Phil1041 was quoting JonF's post, phil is not CT admin.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts