Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My AWS failed my current CO Alarm bought last year. Wrong rating! My mistake.There was a risk it may not have worked at certain temperatures.

The replacement fully conforms to BSI EN 50291-2.

The 2 at the end specifically confirms the unit works at a wide range of temperatures that are experienced in caravans and boats. Houses do not need the same temperature range. Be awarešŸ‘

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apparently how is now out of date and needs to be changed? I keep forgetting to check it every time we check on the caravan. We need a similar configuration for the back plate to avoid making more holes. I think it is a Kidde smoke alarm.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Kiddie CO alarm I had was a life of ten years or earlier if it failed itā€™s regular test, ie before every trip.The photo shows the wrong Kiddie, now being replaced and the smoke alarm below.

Attachments

• IMG_6129.jpeg
    IMG_6129.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 5
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Kiddie CO alarm I had was a life of ten years or earlier if it failed itā€™s regular test, ie before every trip.The photo shows the wrong Kiddie, now being replaced and the smoke alarm below.
I was also under the impression that ours also had a 10 year warranty? It was the AWS tech that said it needed replacing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was also under the impression that ours also had a 10 year warranty? It was the AWS tech that said it needed replacing.
He may be right. Some I have seen have shorter life spans , 5,6 or 7 years. The quoted lifespans are model specific not a simple generic life span.
I bought this model , a Which? Best buy

FireAngel FA3820 10 Year Sealed Battery Alarm Carbon Monoxide, Clear​

1708617919152.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On our last outing where we was stopping with Airbnb it was suggested we buy a portable Carbon monoxide alarm for safety reasons and we got one with a ten year warranty . just in case this happens again

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On our last outing where we was stopping with Airbnb it was suggested we buy a portable Carbon monoxide alarm for safety reasons and we got one with a ten year warranty . just in case this happens again
This raises a safety critical issue.
BB you are our Air bnb expert. I thought it was mandatory that all premises had to be rented out with both working Fire and CO alarms? Is that not the case?

Portable I can understand as they are so small they are easily carried. Or have you found a specific ā€œportableā€ model?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If renting premises like a static we take our own domestic one. Hotel rooms will have smoke detectors. CO not so critical as few have appliances that will generate CO.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It was my understanding that all appliances needed to checked annually in rented premises? I know legislation requires a smoke alarm, but unsure of CO alarm?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It was my understanding that all appliances needed to checked annually in rented premises? I know legislation requires a smoke alarm, but unsure of CO alarm?
I believe , but will stand corrected, any rental premises with a gas or open fire , log burner must also have a CO alarm as well as Fire. Hopefully BB will help here.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I believe , but will stand corrected, any rental premises with a gas or open fire , log burner must also have a CO alarm as well as Fire. Hopefully BB will help here.
Sadly we know that a few rental properties don't comply with the law - so best to take your own CO detector, they're not expensive and very portable.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Includes gas boiler central heating too.

Sykes have a good reputation and here are their criteria for rental properties. Not sure what applies to Airbnb which rents out rooms in occupied property and complete properties.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The only way to test the CO alarm correctly is by introducing CO to the alarm, the Kiddie Co alarms generally fail this test. Pressing the test button only check the electronics.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I think they are supposed to be tested very regularly, not sure of the test span but it could be monthly, I know when I worked for the MOD we had to test fire alarms etc weekly on the site I was on

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Since 2018 all AWS approved , qualified engineers must test the installed CO alarm with a device, DetectagasĀ®, . So yes they have bought a purpose built designed CO cannister.
Pressing the button test just proves the battery is still operational.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Since 2018 all AWS approved , qualified engineers must test the installed CO alarm with a device, DetectagasĀ®, . So yes they have bought a purpose built designed CO cannister.
I believe that there are other makes available of CO testing cans available as well as Detectags. Good post šŸ‘

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A few years ago the test report came back that they had tested the CO2 alarm and it was found to be faulty. I did point out that we did not have a CO2 alarm in the caravan! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps you donā€™t mind not living through a high CO incident šŸ¤” if the van is serviced by an AWS engineer then it should be tested properly on a service.
I always had our caravans serviced by established workshops or mobile engineers. Before CO detectors were introduced I used the colour changing stickersā€¦.,remember those?
Your comment is unrequired as all I was saying in my post #18 is that I can accept just testing the alarm works by pressing its test button. Do you use CO and smoke canisters every time you do a functional test on your detectors. I donā€™t, but at home the smoke and CO detectors are ā€œ testedā€ monthly by test button, and the caravan detectors would be checked prior to each trip.

What evidence do you have that Kidde alarms fail the functional test, thats a rather sweeping statement. I never had a report from my AWS service that the alarm had failed its CO test.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This raises a safety critical issue.
BB you are our Air bnb expert. I thought it was mandatory that all premises had to be rented out with both working Fire and CO alarms? Is that not the case?

Portable I can understand as they are so small they are easily carried. Or have you found a specific ā€œportableā€ model?
Hi DD it had a fire alarm but it was was suggested a portable alarm for safely reason but i brought a Status carbon monoxide alarm digital LCD display and included three batteries with a 10 year warranty .

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I always had our caravans serviced by established workshops or mobile engineers. Before CO detectors were introduced I used the colour changing stickersā€¦.,remember those?
Your comment is unrequired as all I was saying in my post #18 is that I can accept just testing the alarm works by pressing its test button. Do you use CO and smoke canisters every time you do a functional test on your detectors. I donā€™t, but at home the smoke and CO detectors are ā€œ testedā€ monthly by test button, and the caravan detectors would be checked prior to each trip.

What evidence do you have that Kidde alarms fail the functional test, thats a rather sweeping statement. I never had a report from my AWS service that the alarm had failed its CO test.
You didnā€™t quantify by saying you have it tested other than with the test button, as said before this doesnā€™t test the CO sensor just the electronics, bit like saying there is nothing wrong with my caravan battery as it shows 13v, it doesnā€™t prove anything until itā€™s tested correctly. And actually I do have detectagas, I use it on the house CO alarms fairly regularly šŸ˜

I didnā€™t say all Kiddie ones fail, and I didnā€™t say yours did fail either, but I know that a lot of them (Kiddie ones) do fail, as it happens I know a lot of AWS engineers that comment on them.
A lot of the Kiddie Co alarms with go partial alarm as in pip every so often when tested, but donā€™t go to full alarm. The Fire Angel variants donā€™t seem to have the same issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts