Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You didn’t quantify by saying you have it tested other than with the test button, as said before this doesn’t test the CO sensor just the electronics, bit like saying there is nothing wrong with my caravan battery as it shows 13v, it doesn’t prove anything until it’s tested correctly. And actually I do have detectagas, I use it on the house CO alarms fairly regularly 😁

I didn’t say all Kiddie ones fail, and I didn’t say yours did fail either, but I know that a lot of them (Kiddie ones) do fail, as it happens I know a lot of AWS engineers that comment on them.
A lot of the Kiddie Co alarms with go partial alarm as in pip every so often when tested, but don’t go to full alarm. The Fire Angel variants don’t seem to have the same issue.
Why should I have qualified my response. I was just basically agreeing with the test button only checking the battery and electronics. I saw no need to go into a thesis on what other actions I did or did not take to maintain a safe environment.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Why should I have qualified my response. I was just basically agreeing with the test button only checking the battery and electronics. I saw no need to go into a thesis on what other actions I did or did not take to maintain a safe environment.
Perhaps you need to go back to post #19 as this shows no other actions 🙄

Think I will leave it there now

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps you need to go back to post #19 as this shows no other actions 🙄

Think I will leave it there now
As I’ve said all my caravans were serviced by competent technicians both before and after the introduction of AWS. Your #19 was unnecessarily provocative.

Out

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
As I’ve said all my caravans were serviced by competent technicians both before and after the introduction of AWS. Your #19 was unnecessarily provocative.

Out
I think you have said something along those lines earlier, but I just post as I do, I am not a linguist just plain speaker, articulate people could probably explain in lots of words I can’t soz 🤔

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I believe , but will stand corrected, any rental premises with a gas or open fire , log burner must also have a CO alarm as well as Fire. Hopefully BB will help here.
The next break with Sykes cottages it has a log burner but i did check with customer help centre to see it had both in the property and the owner confirmed it .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The next break with Sykes cottages it has a log burner but i did check with customer help centre to see it had both in the property and the owner confirmed it .
My link at #15 describes Sykes requirements for a any of the rental properties to be marketed through their business. From reading it i can see little if any difference for short term rentals compared to long term rentals, and logically there should be no difference. As AirbnB is a different business model I can only think that the standards are not so directly specified or addressed, as that agency doesn’t physically visit properties.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Air BnB site has guidelines but no idea how they enforce them .
Again our rental expert BB may know.

This thread proves for me the importance of an annual service by a qualified AWS. A lot of seasonals don’t bother .
The service isn’t just about running gear but moreso the habitation which includes testing the CO and Fire alarms with appropriate materials, all 12 v and 230 v electrics and gas.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the UK, any one who rents or hires accommodation (including caravans) is operating a business and has a duty of care under Health and Safety legislation to ensure items such as gas and electrical equipment, means of emergency exit are in fully working condition with all safety devices such as smoke/heat and CO detectors and where required fire alarms are functioning correctly.

They would be reckless or mad not have the the evidence to show these have been correctly checked in a timely manner in accordance with regulations. That is why businesses have to keep a record of fire detection and alarm tests.

Both gas and electricals have to be assessed by a registered fitter annually.

I can see no reason why the same duty of care does not apply equally to AIR BnB lettings, however there may be different requirements about what type of safety and detection equipment is fitted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the UK, any one who rents or hires accommodation (including caravans) is operating a business and has a duty of care under Health and Safety legislation to ensure items such as gas and electrical equipment, means of emergency exit are in fully working condition with all safety devices such as smoke/heat and CO detectors and where required fire alarms are functioning correctly.

They would be reckless or mad not have the the evidence to show these have been correctly checked in a timely manner in accordance with regulations. That is why businesses have to keep a record of fire detection and alarm tests.

I can see no reason why the same duty of care does not apply equally to AIR BnB lettings, however there may be different requirements about what type of safety and detection equipment is fitted.
AirBnB is a very grey area as the rented space could be part of the home i.e. bedroom in the home. My guess is that many AirBnB operate under the radar?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

From June 2020 HMG regulations required long term landlords to have rental property electrics checked. “ at least every five years” not annually. Gas Safety Certifcates are an annual requirement.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
From June 2020 HMG regulations required long term landlords to have rental property electrics checked. “ at least every five years” not annually. Gas Safety Certifcates are an annual requirement.
Most AirBnBs are short term rental and may revert back to their normal use which could be how they get around any regulations. Governments are too concerned about H&S regs but are very concerned about the amount of tax they are losing! :D

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts