Careers in U.K. Caravan Manufacturing and Bodywork Repairs

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Today I learnt first hand from a leading caravan body shop they have found it virtually impossible to attract youngsters into the profession. As you can imagine the work is quality ,care customer driven dealing with various complex issues from spray painting, metal working , wood and composites. Those that have shown an interest don’t stay long preferring something less demanding .
We all know most of the Manufacturers staff are basically “piece time fitters”.

It strikes me if this trend continues we may well be left with no support infrastructure for when those little accidents happen. Rant over 😉

Reactions: RogerL
May 15, 2023
Visit site
A mate of mine runs a plumbing business and struggles to find young candidates for apprenticeships, many teenagers seem to want something more academic, or an easier way to make money.
His last 2 apprentices started in their mid 20s, perhaps a little more mature they realise what the long term benefits of having a trade are.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A mate of mine runs a plumbing business and struggles to find young candidates for apprenticeships, many teenagers seem to want something more academic, or an easier way to make money.
His last 2 apprentices started in their mid 20s, perhaps a little more mature they realise what the long term benefits of having a trade are.
What many do not realise is that if they become unemployed for whatever reason, having a trade may help them to be able to work in their own business.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And we will always require plumbers even when our heating systems are all electric. 😂

TRENDING THREADS