Cars With Self Levelling Suspension

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies

Its a dilemma

Do I pick a car with self levelling suspension but either lacking other features or costing a lot more to get them or do I choose another X Trail which fits the bill in all other aspects and fit the same MAD spring assisters( and towbar) that I already have and know and like?

Decisions decisions

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
john

When i last looked the xtrail was only available as a 171bhp in manual, two trims available, otherwise its the 148bhp auto.

Honda now do a 148bhp auto, may be worth a look, but the boot is smaller.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ray but I don't want an auto

I posted this thread because the use of spring assisters was decried with some good points being made in favour of buying a car designed for the job with self levelling suspension as standard

I don't know if the Ford Kuga has self levelling as an option but that seems attractive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pat,

self levelling suspension is a system that some cars (mainly luxury) that automatically monitors the ride height of the car and if it finds the car is riding high or lower than the pre-set figure it will adjust the ride height up or down accordingly.

There are some benefits, such as the headlight beams will not need to be manually adjusted when carrying heavy loads, the drivers sight lines around the vehicle will remain constant.

What it does not do is increase the maximum load the car can carry or the size of trailer it can tow. It is an additional complexity to the vehicle and it will cost more to buy and maintain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tony,

Citroen used a pneumatic suspension system for many years, and it provided a very smooth ride. It did maintain ride heights, but it did not increase the load capacity of the vehicle.

The choice of ride heights their system offered was to allow the vehicle to traverse uneven surfaces.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts