Carver Compact - Carver Cascade 2.

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Hello all
Thanks in advance.
I am new to caravanning.
I have bought a 1994 Swift Rapide 440.

I had holidays as a child in a caravan but it only had two hose slots, in , out..for the water using your foot to pump the water.

This caravan has in and out down bottom by the wheel and
Carver compact which has a hole, pin thing and a double oval weird connecter.
and next to it is
carver cascade 2.

all i can see in the van is a see throu hose about metre long.

Please help as I have no clue. how to get taps running

Thanks
Steve

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If you have a quick look under the van I think you will find the two outlets by the wheelarch connect one to the shower and one to the sinks (kitchen and washroom). So if using both you can buy a 'y' waste piece with short lengths of pipe to enable both to drain to one waste container. You will need to measure the 'mouth ' of the outlets as later vans use a 28.5mm diameter but earlier vans I think 23.5mm.

The other inlet is for the water intake - the 'oval' carries 12v power and the circle the water. I suspect your link is the correct item, but just make sure the plug but matches the intake on the van wall. . I would expect one to come with the van so make sure it's not there somewhere before you invest near £50 in a replacement. Then it should simply plug in - the O ring preventing leaks, and sometimes there are two plastic turn keys to keep the plug locked in place. You will find a control panel (usually on the overhead locker by the door) with a PUMP switch. Leave it OFF initially. Once the pump is connected and submerged find the master drain rocker (usually close to the water inlet - up is open down is closed) - usually yellow top in a blue (cold) pipe. make sure it is closed. If you've missed it water will empty from the aquaroll and straight onto the pitch!

In the van CLOSE the sink and shower taps.
Turn the bathroom sink to the HOT side and switch the pump ON.
IY should gurgle and spit a bit as water fills the heater tank and the pipework then run smoothly.
Next the same with the shower tap (if there is a separate one)
Then the sink Tap.
Now return to the bathroom sink, turn the tap to COLD and run, then the other two taps so that cold is running smoothly.
Your system is now purged of any air locks and it is OK to turn on the water heater.

I assume your system will have Microswitch taps (see if the wires beneath one are connected) in which case opening the tap switches on the water pump. Remember this is 12v and depends on the caravan battery for power. The alternative is a pressure system (no wires connected) and you can download instructions for set-up from the Whale website.

I think your clear hose may just be for filling the aquaroll on site!

Good luck with your caravan and perhaps a steep learning curve, but you will always find advice on this forum and often quick response too!

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am new to caravanning and have recently bought a circa 1990 bailey pageant caravan. It is meant to be fitted with a submersible pump but this appears to have been removed, it does have a carver water heater still in the van. The only hole on the outside that i can see is what is in the picture, is there anyway i can resolve this to get water into the taps and shower?
Thank you.Screenshot_20200609-152218_Gallery.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Seand,

Welcome to the forum.

The picture you have supplied does not belong to a submersible pump, because there are no electrical connections to power the pump.

You might have an internal pump and all you need is a length of hose that drops into the water carrier.

Bearing in mind this caravan is now 30 years old, I think you should seriously consider arranging to have the caravan professionally checked, not only the road running gear but water, gas and electrics.

There are mobile technicians who can do this at competative prices, and best of all you can ask them to explain whats what, and how to use it.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I was speaking to others who said that it used to be a carver compact housing unit that plugs into this hole and then a submersible pump inside, both of these appear to have been removed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I was speaking to others who said that it used to be a carver compact housing unit that plugs into this hole and then a submersible pump inside, both of these appear to have been removed.
I 'm beginning to wonder if I can see all the pictures you have sent?

All I can see is three panels. The top and bottom panels are just black rectangles with some image editing symbols, but the middle one is picture of an outside cream caravan wall with a circular grey fitting in the middle. I can categorically tell you the fitting I can see is nothing to do with a Carver pump or a Cascade water heater. In fact it looks more like a drain outlet.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is impossible to determine what is what with just one picture of a very small area of the outside of the van.
If you could supply many more pictures of the whole setup it may be possible to advise.

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have attached two more photos of the outside of the caravan which might give you a better idea of what i have. Any help on the water would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200615_121921.jpg
    20200615_121921.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200615_121942.jpg
    20200615_121942.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 16
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the replies. I have attached two more photos of the outside of the caravan which might give you a better idea of what i have. Any help on the water would be greatly appreciated.

The right hand end of the first picture shows the submersible pump hose in blue coming out of the caravan fitting

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Seand,

This picture shows the right hand side of the caravan. Starting from the front and working backwards:

The first locker is the battery box. Thttps://forums.practicalcaravan.com/data/attachments/0/416-44429f511b1b88122ece8e3be0ec573e.jpgact

The first white plastic flap is the Carver Compact water pump, and you can see the blue hose which should have a submersible pump on its end. Under the flap you will find the end of the hose has a plug with both water and 12V electrical connections in a moulded plug.

The almost square plastic cowl just infront of the wheel arch is the Carver Cascade 2 water heater

The grey circular hole, I do not recognise for sure, but its position suggests it may be a drain for the kitchen sink - it is unusual for it to be on the side wall, so perhaps a previous owner may have changed it.

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi ProfJohnL,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I am nearly sure that the electricity just plugs in here but i am waiting on a photo from the person looking after its storage. I also found this on some website selling a similar model, it says the water for the taps runs off an electric pump, does this help you?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200615-131500_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200615-131500_Chrome.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 5
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Seand,

Sorry but your most recent post does not help. Your original question about the pump is what we have been trying to resolve, and both Roger and I have told you the blue pipe is the 12v pump.

Your reference the the "electricity just plugs in here" is not helping as you are not defining what your looking at and what you are expecting.

Do you have the instruction manuals for the caravan and its appliances? If not do a search on the internet for them, and then hopefully you will get a better understanding of everything is and how it should work.

Alternatively it would be more productive if when the lockdown ends, if you can find a relative or friend who caravans, who can explain things directly to you.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Look go to your caravan the front cupboard (Battery & Hookup ) on the side with the water heater the Flap with the submersible pump hose in blue is where the water goes in

Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you again for the replies, i really do appreciate it, i am very new to all this so apologies for the complete novice questions.

I will post a picture of what is contained underneath this flap when i get them and then you might be able to tell for definite it is in fact where the water goes in.

Thank you.
Sean

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sean
There's no need to apologise, we were all newbies once 😁
I see that the grass is long and it's hiding the end of your water pump hose which is blue and which plugs into the attachment under the flap immediately aft of the battery compartment. The 'electric pump' is a 12v pump and nothing at all to do with the 230v mains electric hook up.
The end of the blue hose (hidden in the long grass) goes into your Aquaroll or other fresh water container.
I don't know if you're aware but most modern tourers utilise two separate systems for electrical power.
The 230 mains powers the mains sockets, some interior lighting, the electric immersion water heater, the fridge and a part of the heating system.
The 12v powers the water pump, toilet flush, radio and smaller interior lights such as reading lights.
Edit: The 230v electric hook up (ehu) lead is normally orange or yellow and the business end plugs into a socket which is normally inside the battery compartment

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 9, 2020
Visit site
Thanks a million for the info.

If this is the case, where would the electricity then plug in if i was at a serviced pitch.

Thanks
Sean

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks a million for the info.

If this is the case, where would the electricity then plug in if i was at a serviced pitch.

Thanks
Sean
On my caravan the 230 ehu lead plugs into a socket which is inside the battery compartment (at the front near side of your caravan)

This footage might help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts