cascade 2 water heater igniting but going off

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
i recently bought a new burner module for my cascade 2 water heater, after installing this I switched on my gas and flicked down the button on my controller, i hear the clicking at regular intervals and it ignites instantly but i still here the clicks. the flames don't get registered and about 8-10 later it goes off again. everything seems in order and in place and i cant think of any other reason why it goes out its like the flames are not being recognised. any input would be welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris,

Let assume for the moment the new BCM you have purchased is actually working correctly

The first thing I would check is to make sure there isn't any water dripping out of the exterior cowl, which would suggest the fusible safety plug has operated. You previous BCM may have caused this. If it is dripping it will compromise the flame and cause the burner to go to lock out. If this is the case, the fusible plug needs to be replaced. Once the burner has dried out it should be fine.

My second concern would the size of the flame so if it is failing to recognise a flame there must be something else wrong with the gas supply or the heater. The flame might be too small so the flame is not reaching the flame sensor probe, or too big and actually lifting off the burner bar which breaks the electrical circuit for the Flame Detection system. In either case you need to check the gas supply pressure. You need to have the correct equipment to do this so it might be something yo have your dealer check for you.

If the gas pressure is ok at the regulator, but the flame is still too small, then I would suspect the gas feed pipe to the Cascade may be partially blocked. Being one of the lowest points in the gas system, it was often the natural collecting point when some gas and regulators produces a heavy oil. If this has happened the section of pipe will need to be removed and cleaned or replaced. - again unless you are gas competent this work should be referred to a qualified fitter,

If neither the above then the BCM may be faulty and I suggest you contact your supplier.

TRENDING THREADS