CC Strathclyde Country Park

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Booked in here mid august as first stop on our North West Highland Tour.
Any thoughts on the site.
We want to do some of the museums in Glasgow and the Falkirk Wheel.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We did the Falkirk wheel a couple of years ago, we thought a brilliant trip out, we did it from a nearby Cl (a superb little site. http://www.carrshill.co.uk/ )
Must see the 'Kelpies' whilst in the area too.
Falkirk%20Wheel_zpsjymnbkaj.jpg

Kelpies_zpss8pepquq.jpg

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi DD
Not sure I could recommend this site just now, there are really major roadworks going on in the immediate area and I have read reports of people not only being troubled by traffic disruptions and noise during the day but also disturbed by generator noise from the work areas during the night. I have never been on the site, it's a bit too close to home for me, but drive past it along the M74 several times a week and the traffic both on the motorway, the slip roads and the surrounding roads which include access to the site can be horrendous particularly at morning and late afternoon peak times. I have also, very strangely, read recent reviews of travellers staying on site! Regarding access to the site I see on the CC website they recommend , if coming up the M74, from the south, to come off the motorway at the junction before the site and follow alternative route. I would strongly recommend following that advice and avoid arriving at peak traffic times if at all possible.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Also meant to add the road works are not scheduled to finish until March 2017, they been going on for the last couple of years, although seems longer .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We keep our caravan in the storage area there so know it well. It is true there is noise there but we do not notice it as it is constant rather than anything else being traffic mainly on the motorway. I would however avoid the pitches near the roundabout as you will get the noise of lorry air brakes stopping at the lights.
I have not seen travelers there although the club had repairs done to the surface in the storage area and it may have been the people doing this that were referred to. The site has barriers and travelers could not get in without a barrier card.
Access into the park from junction 5 of the motorway can be difficult and time consuming due to the roadworks and I would suggest that you come off at junction 6. You then take the Motherwell slip and once on the dual carriageway turn left at the lights and drive through the park but watch the speed bumps. This is likely to be quicker and easier as the roadworks on the roundabout cause delays and you need to be in the right lane.
Glasgow has a large number of museums and without knowing what interests you it is difficult to know which to suggest. There is also a good industrial museum Summerlee at Coatbridge and Falkirk is just over half an hour away and the Falkirk Wheel and Kelpies are well worthy visiting. Loch Lomond is an hour away also if that is of interest.
If you want to get to Coatbridge I can tell you how to avoid the roundabout but it is complicated.
Enjoy the trip.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Never seen a traveller on a CC site. (But can't say they have not done) Can't imagine them paying CC prices though. Only stayed 1 night on Strathclyde Country Park, but can't remember anything untoward about it (2 years ago) before moving onto CL.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Rob and Ray.
Very useful.
I did consider C&CC Site near Drymen on Loch Lomond but seems to be boggy and predominantly one night tenters. Also it would probably take me another hour travelling from Wiltshire.
We want to visit the Glasgow Transport Museum. Do the city centre bus tour and the Clyde area .Falkirk Wheel is a must.
I was hoping there may be a bus stop near the site or a park and ride scheme.
Thanks again.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Not sure about any bus stops near the site but both Motherwell and Hamilton are very close by and both have good train links to Glasgow. When I recently did a search of reviews on this park I noticed someone recommended Bothwell for a train connection to Glasgow, again a very short drive from the site. That search of reviews was when I came across the references to the travellers, it would either be on the CC own website or UK campsite reviews.
Are you taking the dogs? The site is next to Strathclyde Park, as the name suggests, which would be very good for walks.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was at the site today and no travelers there.
There is a mini bus service to centre of Glasgow from the site in the morning and return in sfternoon but do not know the cost.
There are buses nearby at Bothwell but you would have to cross roadworks and not sure how easy but to Glasgow they are only every 30 minutes. There are a lot more buses at Bellshill about 1 1/2 miles away but all uphill and again roadwo9rks could be a problem. If you are going to Glasgow train is best bet again from Bellshill which has parking or Motherwell but this tends to be a walk from any car park after rush hour.
To park in Motherwell drive through the park and turn left at the lights. Follow the road to the top of the hill and straight on at roundabout. This takes you left passed the station and turn right at roundabout and then left at the next one into large car park. There are others but they will almost certainly be full during the week. At weekends you can also try Uddingston but it will be parked up during the week.
There is no station at Bothwell.
I think the site you are looking for at Drymen is Milarochy Bay. It is on the banks of Loch Lomond but approach road is narrow and has a very steep hill which can be a problem. It is also very out of the way for touring although their site at Luss at the other side of loch Lomond is possible with good access but a fair way out of Glasgow and Falkirk.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Went searching for the review that mentioned the rail station as Raywood has pointed out there is no station at Bothwell. Eventually found it, Bellshill was the one suggested ( it did start with a B ) perhaps Raywood will have some knowledge of the parking there?
Also came across the references to travellers on site, there is a few mentions of it on the CC reviews from around March of this year, they probably have moved on by now.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is a large car park for the station. You approach up the A725 and take the first slip for Bellshill. Follow the road until you see the railway bridge across the road and the car park is signed on your left just in front of the bridge. If by any chance this is full go under the bridge and turn right at the lights then left at the end and a quick right and you will find two car parks on your left.
You should get four trains an hour into Glasgow from there.
If you want to avoid the roundabout going out of the park drive into the park to the roundabout and turn left up the hill. At the end turn tight and then left. Take first right and then left at the end. First right and then right at the end, first left and then right on to the main road. It is easier than it sounds and there will be others using the route.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks Ray and Rob
very useful information especially about the access to the site from the South.
The two springers will be with us and I am sure will enjoy the park.
Is the hotel in the park far from the site and does it have a bar open to the public?
We're not too worried about noise .We live 1/2 a mile from the A 419 a dual carriageway across the field and have got used to the road hum .Sometimes it's nothing. Depends on the wind.
I've never seen Travellers on a CC site. Generally the reviews look good so for 5 nights should enable us to sight see with ease. Falkirk Wheel seems easily accessible, more so than Drymen.
Thanks again chaps
DD :cheer:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is more work being carried out on the roundabout at J 5 and massive jams today and access road into parnk closed. Until Monday you need to use junction 6.
There are three hotels in the Park two opposite the site a Toby Cavery and a Holiday Inn Express both with public bars. There is another on the theme park as well so plenty choice.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
We stayed hear for 4 nights last year and the noise from the roadwork kept us awake most of the night owing to the 360 machines using large peckers to break up the existing concrete, but we were pre warned by C.C. Last year was our third year on this site and yes travellers do use this site, witch is obvious from there large Hobby vans and mercs (both cars and vans) But they never caused us a problem as they were away from site early morning till the evening

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Used the M74 this morning to get to Paisley for work meeting, Traffic was backed up from the roadworks way back to after Jnc 7, took me 45 minutes to travel about 4 miles. Unusually when I came back home in the afternoon the northbound side was still very busy, not as bad as the morning but still very congested. Definitely would advise coming off at Junction 6 to get to the site.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Arrived yesterday. Swift registration well done.
Very large spacious pitches, ours fully serviced.
No sign of any undesirables. Excellent hi tech facilities. Looks almost brand new.
Road noise negligible but the number of emergency service sirens is amazing. :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: 7.00am today. Hope no one was hurt. Being a country boy I'm not used to all these 999 vehicles. This looks like an excellent base for touring the Clyde area.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I'll be driving past on the 74 tomorrow going into Paisley, I'll give you a toot and a wave as I go past.
Hope you are enjoying all this lovely Scottish weather, great isn't it! The one good thing about it is, even the midges are keeping under cover out the rain.
Hope you enjoy your break.
Rob

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid the roadworks are causing chaos at the moment. From the South definitely use junction 6 to get in. I would not arrive before 9,30 and or expect to leave before then. If you are coming in from the North on the M73 it may be worth leaving that onto the A8 and had towards Edinburgh and take the second exit onto the A725 and turn left towards East Kilbride. You can turn then left into the park at the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. This saves problems getting in the right lane if you come off the M74 at junction 5 where most people know which lane to use but you don not but frankly after about 4 pm both will involve long waits in queues at the moment.
I you do come off the M74 Southbound there come off in the nearside lane and where it splits use the middle lane which takes you into the nearside one on the roundabout, as this is the only one to access the park. If you hit it in the rush hour you might still be better going past to 6 and follow the route in my earlier post.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well what a surprise. . Six days on and the massive road works haven't been a problem. Ray. The park and ride at Belshill railway station is brilliant. A minutes walk. Free parking. £4.30 each return to Glasgow Central.
What a station! Totally modern but as if time stood still.
The City bus tour is a must. Hop on hop off.So much to see.
Hamilton, nearby has some excellent eating houses. The Bombay Cottage well worth a visit.
Glasgow is a City well worth a visit. Very clean friendly and an architects delight.
This is now on our return list.
In fact I can see the makings of a future Scottish Woos ie fest!
Thanks to Ray and Rob for all the inside info.
Tomorrow a day off preparing for Sunday's departure to Gairloch.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Glad you've enjoyed your stay DD. The park is only about a half hour drive from where we live and I've always thought of it as too close to home for a trip but might yet try it for a short break, once you are on site it doesn't really matter how close to home you are does it?
Did you have your dogs with you? I take it with the park next door it would be a dog friendly site?
You seem to have brought some relatively dry weather north with you as well, just don't take back south with you. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed the trip. I am afraid some days the roadworks are impossible and others you can sail through, but you have to be lucky and avoid the rush hour.
We are only a couple of miles from the site so stuck in the middle of the roadworks meaning we have to think carefully before going almost anywhere. Roll on next Spring when hopefully they will be finished.
Bellshill is a good spot for the train to Glasgow and the station there is worth a look. If any one else is going to the site I can give you an alternative route to he station avoiding the roadworks.
There is a decent bus service also but the roadworks need to be crossed to get to it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Rob and Ray.
It's that good we coming up again in the spring for a few weeks. :cheer:
Even though it is close to both of you a break is a break. We often stay at Morton in Marsh which is half an hour away from home.We are still discovering things. Sometimes we forget what's on our own doorstep.
Thanks again for all your advice.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Ahh! Moreton in Marsh. I've been looking at that for a visit next summer. I'll pick your brains about that later on once you're back home if you don't mind. The reviews, (if it's the CC site you use) are good.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have visited Moreton a couple of times and liked it. It is just off the town centre which is an easy walk with plenty of shops and places to eat. The site is flat partly open and partly wooded so there is something for everyone. The pitches though can be narrow and they like you to park in front of the caravan.
The road past can be noisy early morning and pitches on that boundary are probably best avoided if you want a lie in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts