CCTV film of caravan being stolen

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
The CCTV film of our caravan being stolen from our driveway is now on Youtube 'Caravan stolen in broad daylight' - the thieves, clearly very experienced have not been caught yet. Please have a look. The van was stolen on a sunny afternoon, the whole thing took around nine minutes ,despite ground post, hitch lock, wheel clamp, alarm..you can see and hear these things being disabled, burned/hammered off..and then see the perpetrators hook the van up and drive off....Please contact West Yorkshire police if you have any info. on 0845 6060606

:( Thanks

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jackie

All I can say is I am so so sorry!!!

Watching that made my stomach churn, so I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through. The thieving b*&@

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Sam

The theft was some time ago now more than 18 months, but prior to Youtube, we had no way of sharing it and the police enquiries ...well? what can I say? The main thing as these people have not been caught is to try and stop them I hope. This was the second van we had stolen, the first saw the perpetrator caught 'cos they had been smoking when they took the van and DNA led to one of them. The wheel clamp, I can;t remember now, but the hitch lock was Alko and the corner steady locks were from Wandahome. The caravan alarm was a keypad type which is only supposed to be disabled when you tap in your personal code, but as you can see the theives seem to have their very own personal code ( a good thump to the keypad?).

Please don't let this stop the enjoyment of your caravan -its a fab way to spend your free-time, but I would recommend pro-active trackers as more relaiable than other means of security.

We have not got over the theft and are nervous every day we are out leaving it vulnerable, and yes, what would have happened if I had come home from work and seen them???

The van can ben seen being hooked up by the theives at 9.09 minutes in the film and the door being broken into/alarm going off at 8.20.

Regards Jackie

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Lets just hope that the cocky-ness of these ******* *********s will come back and hit them in the face or more and they will get what they deserve

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Sam said

"I did wonder though what would have happened if you would have answered your front door, as I heard knocking and presume they were checking to see if anyone was in. I wonder what there excuse would have been if you had answered "

My caravan was stolen 6 years ago and a week before I had a knock at the door even though at the time there were no cars on the drive. The irish gentleman (just a coincidence i'm sure) asked me if there was a building site nearby as they were lost.

knowing the caravan was being targeted I added lots of security but on the one day that myself and both my neighbours were out the van went,they must have been watching.

Jackie I know how you are feeling and hope it doesn't put you off caravanning as it nearly did for us.

Brian.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jackie

Just watched that video.......the thieves were so calm and unhurried, how brazen of them!! Obviously 'professionals' who knew exactly what they were doing.

We too had our beloved van stolen 3 years ago....it was brand new, we'd only had it 8 weeks. It vanished from a farm storage site that had alarms down the drive. The van had expensive heavy duty wheel clamp and hitchlock, and the thieves cut them off like a knife through butter! The farmer said the alarms had gone off the night before and he went out to investigate, but found nothing (they were presumably doing a reccie then, as when they came back and stole our van the next night they took it out across a field full of cows, breaking down two fences in the process, and finally going down the unalarmed driveway of the neighbouring farm). The farmer swiftly went to the expense of alarming the entire perimeter of the farm following this theft, there is only the one driveway and entrance to the farm and he never dreamed the thieves would go across the fields.

Our replacement van is now stored inside a barn which is also alarmed. We do have hitchlock and wheel clamp, as they are required by our insurance company, but I no longer have any faith in them, having seen how easily the thieves cut through our last ones. The Police told us that these 'professional' thieves obtain each new security device that comes on the market and experiment to see how they can break/cut through/disable them, and go fully equipped when they're on a thieving trip.

I firmly believe that if 'they' want your van, they will get it no matter what. The only thing we can do, in my opinion, is to have sufficient insurance. Our van is now as safe as it can be, but it wouldn't surprise me if it went walkabout again. I'd be upset and livid, obviously, but surprised - No!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jackie

OMG. How easy those swine make it look.

The lesson to me is keep your caravan well insured . I keep ours on a secure compound at a farm with all the electric sirens gates etc and owner living on site.

Maybe your storage location was just a bit too remote?

Hope you get a new van soon and carry on enjoying your hobby.

Cheers

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jackie

It looks as though the thieves already knew what they were looking for and had targeted your caravan.

They must have done a recce before the theft and knew that there was a strong possibility that there would be no one at home.

The thieves had no fear and appeared unhurried and until the police and courts begin to take caravan theft seriously this sort of thing will continue to happen.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks everyone. I hope that by sharing the film people might recognise any suspicious activity - maybe even that these people get caught at the end of the day!?

You are right Parksy about police in my opinion...when our first van was stolen they were disinterested - my son and I found the cigarette butt that they left after looking for hours when we spotted cigarette ash where the caravan had been.

I rang the police to tell them I had evidence, they asked me to take it to the police station myself!!!

After some months I rang them to ask if they had any DNA evidence, they said that the cigarette butt had not yielded any. I asked why as it was a roll-up and they said it was too damp.

I then asked if they had tested it all , they then admitted that they had not, so I asked for it back to have tested myself!! At this they tested it and hey presto! Led straight to a person from Leeds who was already in prison for other offences!!!

C'est la Vie!

Kind regards Jackie

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jackie and Everyone

Being new to Caravanning, (we are picking our caravan up on Saturday) I find it really upsetting that innocent nice people are subjected to this!!!!!!

To be honest this really worries me, and what worries me the most is how would I tell my 3 kids that the Caravan had gone.

What sort of caravans do they go for? Is is just any?

Our caravan is the budget end of the market, and we have bought all the fullstop security products - Nemesis Clamp, Saracen Hitchlock, Torpedo Corner Steady locks x 2. Although it might be the budget end of the market, it is going to mean everything to us and we want to protect it.

Why can't we just enjoy our hobby and these low lifes leave us all alone!!!!!

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Sam

Our van that was stolen was the newest one out of about 20 vans on our storage site, and also the only fixed bed one. They clearly targeted our van, since none of the others were touched.

Apparently they like to go for fixed bed models, particularly twin axles (which is what we've got now), so we were told. But what can you do? You can only fit as many security devices to make it as awkward and time-consuming as possible for the thieves, and just hope for the best. As I said in my previous post, good insurance is a must. It's only a caravan, dearly loved as it is, and the van and possessions (all our contents went missing too, obviously) can all be replaced. That's how we have to look at it now, I think.

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

Our van that was stolen was the newest one out of about 20 vans on our storage site, and also the only fixed bed one. They clearly targeted our van, since none of the others were touched.

Apparently they like to go for fixed bed models, particularly twin axles (which is what we've got now), so we were told. But what can you do? You can only fit as many security devices to make it as awkward and time-consuming as possible for the thieves, and just hope for the best. As I said in my previous post, good insurance is a must. It's only a caravan, dearly loved as it is, and the van and possessions (all our contents went missing too, obviously) can all be replaced. That's how we have to look at it now, I think.
Thank you x

Although, our is the budget end (Adria Altea) it has fixed triple bunks. Perfect for all their kids.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi Sam,

please don't let the thefts put you off..otherwise we are beaten by these horrible acts and people. The CCTV is intended to help people recognise how this is done and be vigilant if we can. Not to put people off caravaning.

We have replaced both our vans and love every minute of caravan weekends / holidays..and you and your family will too!!!-the kids will love it!

Enjoy it, we will never be without a caravan no matter if they steal 100 of them!! But if I had any advice it would be to consider a tracker device. But again, doesn't suit everyone.

I bet you and the kids are really, excited and so you should be...hold on to that.

Kind Regards Jackie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Sam

The toerags will pinch your eyes and then come back for the lashes!

As Jackie has just shown with her You Tube clip these low lifes have no fear of the police or of being caught. Any caravan that they see as being 'vulnerable' is fair game to them.

Thanks to Jackie for sharing what must be a very painful episode with us, it concentrates the mind and causes all of us to think about the security of our caravans.

The best thing to do is to make sure that your caravan is fully insured Sam, comply with the clauses within your policy such as locks, storage etc and think about where you store your caravan.

Can it be seen by passers by? Would it be better to keep it in a secure storage compound? Have 'strangers' been taking an undue interest in your property? Has anybody been round to your house trying to 'sell' you anything or offering to provide any services?

When you are on the move don't leave the outfit unattended even though you have locks fitted. If you stop at motorway services use the caravan facilities or use the service area toilets in relays.

If your caravan insurance policy has any small print that you don't fully understand ask the insurers about it as well as our helpful and knowledgeable members who will offer good advice.

The main thing is not to let the criminal classes spoil your family's enjoyment of your caravan, if they do that then they have won!

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Oh my, that sent shudders down my back, Jackie, i am so sorry about your van, it must be painful everytime you see it.

What frightens me, and i am sure, most people is that you have much more security latched to the van than i do, i have a cheap wheel lock and an alko hitch lock, no alarm, no steady locks, it is parked on a secure cassoa storage facility but still, even that must have its limits. i check it once every couple of months when not in use so if it did get stolen i might not notice for weeks.

I am so going up to see my van at lunch tme tomorrow, "i love you van, im coming baby!!"

again, very sorry and sickened about your ordeal.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Mike - I think what the all the security just getting sliced through tells you, is if they want it, they will get it. The loss adjuster told me that he doesn't waste the money himself, he has a wheel clamp from the car boot and nothing else -'cos thats what his insurance specifies!

But yes, its very painful every time, but I hope and trust that at some point it gets the blighters caught!!! So that they won't be stealing fellow caravanners outfits. Also, I am sure that without seeing it with their own eyes people wouldn't believe how little time it takes and how very 'professional' and confident these people are.

All the best Jackie

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought the following article from late last year may be of interest.

Cheers

Dustydog

Midlands is Caravan Bermuda Triangle

Bandits pinch 4,000 caravans a year

11 June 2008

Empty spaces on driveways and disappearances from storage sites are common across the UK with around 4,0001 British caravans vanishing every year according to data from AA Caravan Insurance.

At a time when caravanners are dusting off their 'vans for the summer, owners in the Midlands should be most vigilant with more disappearances in the 'Caravan Bermuda Triangle' than anywhere else in Britain.

"We believe ten per cent2 more caravans vanish in an area bordered by Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham and Nottingham," says Simon Douglas, head of AA Caravan Insurance. "The triangle of trouble is drawn along the popular motorway network of the M6, M42 and M1 which provide quick getaway routes for thieves," says Simon Douglas.

He adds: "Caravanning is increasing in popularity and we're seeing more caravans being stolen to order, especially larger, luxury twin-axle models. Three-quarters of those stolen disappear without trace and are never recovered."

Increasingly, disappearances are down to organised caravan theft rackets with specific, high-value caravans that will fetch a good price being targeted. A common tactic is stealing direct from driveways when the owners are enjoying a last cup of tea. "Thieves look for opportunities when caravans are unattended but not secured - for instance with a wheelclamp - and that could be anywhere, including motorway service areas."

AA Insurance has also found a steady rise in caravan disappearances from storage sites revealing that these are premeditated crimes.

Simon Douglas points out: "These disappearances are well thought out criminal plans with real rewards. There is a real trend towards particular models being targeted and sometimes, several vans may disappear from one site. They are even craned out and on to a lorry for a quick getaway."

Security Measures

Owners can help and get premium reductions by taking security measures that include:

Wheel clamps - these are the minimum insurance requirement and should be used whenever the caravan is unattended - modern clamps are easy to apply but very difficult for thieves to remove.

Chassis locks - increasingly supplied as standard, these lock the wheels in a fixed position

Hitch locks - some come with an alarm while corner steady locks will prevent the front of the van from being lifted on to a thief's vehicle.

If you have a high-value caravan your insurer may insist on an electronic tag or tracking device being fitted - in any case, such protection will attract insurance discounts.

Make sure that out of season, your caravan is safe. Choose a site operated by the Caravan Storage Site Owners' Association (CaSSOA); check that security is good (for example, secure posts to which your caravan can be hitch-locked, ground anchors, security staff or cctv).

Notes to editors

1Data from The Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme

2Data from AA Caravan Insurance claims experience

More about car crime and vehicle security

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I thought the following article from late last year may be of interest.

Cheers

Dustydog

Midlands is Caravan Bermuda Triangle

Bandits pinch 4,000 caravans a year

11 June 2008

Empty spaces on driveways and disappearances from storage sites are common across the UK with around 4,0001 British caravans vanishing every year according to data from AA Caravan Insurance.

At a time when caravanners are dusting off their 'vans for the summer, owners in the Midlands should be most vigilant with more disappearances in the 'Caravan Bermuda Triangle' than anywhere else in Britain.

"We believe ten per cent2 more caravans vanish in an area bordered by Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham and Nottingham," says Simon Douglas, head of AA Caravan Insurance. "The triangle of trouble is drawn along the popular motorway network of the M6, M42 and M1 which provide quick getaway routes for thieves," says Simon Douglas.

He adds: "Caravanning is increasing in popularity and we're seeing more caravans being stolen to order, especially larger, luxury twin-axle models. Three-quarters of those stolen disappear without trace and are never recovered."

Increasingly, disappearances are down to organised caravan theft rackets with specific, high-value caravans that will fetch a good price being targeted. A common tactic is stealing direct from driveways when the owners are enjoying a last cup of tea. "Thieves look for opportunities when caravans are unattended but not secured - for instance with a wheelclamp - and that could be anywhere, including motorway service areas."

AA Insurance has also found a steady rise in caravan disappearances from storage sites revealing that these are premeditated crimes.

Simon Douglas points out: "These disappearances are well thought out criminal plans with real rewards. There is a real trend towards particular models being targeted and sometimes, several vans may disappear from one site. They are even craned out and on to a lorry for a quick getaway."

Security Measures

Owners can help and get premium reductions by taking security measures that include:

Wheel clamps - these are the minimum insurance requirement and should be used whenever the caravan is unattended - modern clamps are easy to apply but very difficult for thieves to remove.

Chassis locks - increasingly supplied as standard, these lock the wheels in a fixed position

Hitch locks - some come with an alarm while corner steady locks will prevent the front of the van from being lifted on to a thief's vehicle.

If you have a high-value caravan your insurer may insist on an electronic tag or tracking device being fitted - in any case, such protection will attract insurance discounts.

Make sure that out of season, your caravan is safe. Choose a site operated by the Caravan Storage Site Owners' Association (CaSSOA); check that security is good (for example, secure posts to which your caravan can be hitch-locked, ground anchors, security staff or cctv).

Notes to editors

1Data from The Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme

2Data from AA Caravan Insurance claims experience

More about car crime and vehicle security

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Just posting this for interests sake about a different end of the country- We are in the Scottish Borders. There are not many secure storage sites. People store their vans on local farms (althought fenced I think)We looked at a storage facility in next town but it was all containers and our caravan would have stood out like a sore thumb! We cant put our caravan by our house although space to make a drive, havent got the cash or means together yet. Sometimes we park it on the street for one night just to get it loaded for holiday but I am wary of the kids who have been scratching veichles with stones etc. So, our caravan is on a caravan site that is mainly used for in-coming workers to the area. There are people around all the time, that is the bonus, and they are getting to know us (coming and going) Kids on this site tend to have respect for caravans they are their homes. I am still wary. Our insurance company wanted us to have a tracker thingy as well as clamp etc. x Cara

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
p.S I MEAN kids in the area, hanging around that have been scratching vehicles. Not my kids in case you read my post that way!! My boy loves caravans, cars, motorhomes, trains, motorbikes.....He just gazes at them planning his lego building!

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
I know of caravans being stolen from secure storage sites too, so I don't know if I would personally trust my van there...I like to know each day that its where it should be, at the side of the house, or ,as has been the case twice, know within hours that it has been stolen- if it was in storage I would have to visit it every day to check that it was there!!!

:)

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
We are storing our caravan on a farm.

There is a gated enclosure, which consists of a 5 bar gate, heavy duty chain and padlock :-o. You have to drive past the farmhouse to get to the caravan storage and nine times out of ten there is always someone at home

The local furniture removal company (they actually moved us) operate from land that the farmer rents out to them. It is always busy with lots of people around in the daytime. At night, there are just flood lights and alsatian guard dogs.

I don't know if it is a good choice or not, but it is 5 mins from home and my parents have had their caravan stored there for the past 18 months. I can always pop down and check on it.

Unfortunately, where we live out in the Derbyshire countryside there are three (certain types of people) manmade sites where they all reside. What do you do, apart from pay someone to stand there and guard your caravan 24/7.

Got Nemesis wheel clamp, saracen hitchlock, 2x corner steady locks and a sensor alarm inside the van.

Nothing more we can do, apart from hope and pray that they will leave us well alone x

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Crikey Jakie. Justwatched your cctv footage on you tube.

You were undoubtedly targeted by professionals and a welder who knew exactly how to use a oxy acetyline blow torch.

I bet the van had false plates as well.

I certainly do offer our sympathies to you for your loss.

You had all the security measures there in place and to of captured it on tv is also enlightening for fellow caravanners.

I'm realy glad no one challenged them as I'm sure that unless you were a meaty kick boxer and a black belt then you would of got a right hiding.

I used to think our van was secure but having seen the film I'm not that sure now.

It was a good job you were insured. But then I expect the insurance company will bang up the premium next time.

It just goes to show that you cant stop a pro but you can slow them down by adding as many locks as you can and a tracker as well. Trouble is, by then you have spent the cost of the issabella awning on trying to desuade the bar stewards.

Hope you still go caravanning.

All the best for the future.

Steve L.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Crikey Jakie. Justwatched your cctv footage on you tube.

You were undoubtedly targeted by professionals and a welder who knew exactly how to use a oxy acetyline blow torch.

I bet the van had false plates as well.

I certainly do offer our sympathies to you for your loss.

You had all the security measures there in place and to of captured it on tv is also enlightening for fellow caravanners.

I'm realy glad no one challenged them as I'm sure that unless you were a meaty kick boxer and a black belt then you would of got a right hiding.

I used to think our van was secure but having seen the film I'm not that sure now.

It was a good job you were insured. But then I expect the insurance company will bang up the premium next time.

It just goes to show that you cant stop a pro but you can slow them down by adding as many locks as you can and a tracker as well. Trouble is, by then you have spent the cost of the issabella awning on trying to desuade the bar stewards.

Hope you still go caravanning.

All the best for the future.

Steve L.
Thanks Steve, we do indeed still caravan, wouldn't give it up for the world!

Jackie

Sep 20, 2008
Visit site
Jackie,

I have just watched your Youtube video with my wife.

We where both absolutely horrified at how easily they where able to make off with your van. We have the same security measures as yourself (except ground post) and to think that they could be away with our pride and joy in the space of a few minutes sends a shiver down our spine.

It's a great idea doing what you did with Youtube and I hope it brings you some success.

Shaun & Ashleigh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts