CCTV of stolen caravan

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I have posted link to CCTV of our caravan being stolen on the security forum. It was a couple of years ago, but until youtube, there was no way of sharing this footage. The perpetrators have not been caught yet - if you see the film, its a fair guess that they are still at it? Hopefully, this will show you how easily these 'professionals' steal our caravans, but I wouldn't want it panic anyone, just make you think about being vigilant and keeping safe. We wouldn't give up caravanning if they took a hundred of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBB3s1wXkE
'caravan stolen in broad daylight'

Regards Jackie

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
It just goes to show that no matter what security precautions you take, if thieves really want something they will have it. From what I could see you had cctv, a wheel clamp, a post set into the ground behind the caravan and possibly a hitch lock?

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi William,

we also had corner steady locks, an alarm that was only supposed to de-activated when we put in our unique pin code, but you can see on the tape that although the alarm went off, they disabled it with a punch to the contraol panel apparently?? and we did have a hitch-lock. We have now installed heavy gates, but I am told that these will get stolen too!!!!!

Jackie :(

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jackie

What did your Insurance Company say when they viewed the CCTV footage ??

The reg of the Van would (is) clearly visible using basic enhancing techniques. I just wondered if they followed it up with the police or did they just pay up ? and was this very recent?. Great CCTV by the way that also picks up sound.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Indeed security gates are in themselves attractive as items to be stolen. I had to watch the video without sound as I am at work, so didn't realise that you had an alarm. My brother-in-law is a police man and he always says that no lock or security measure will stop determined professional thieves and indeed having loads of security can actual act as a signal that you have something valuable. He also says that even today the best deterrents are large aggressive or noisy dogs.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jackie

Sorry to hear about your van being stolen.

I've just watched the video and found it a bit upsetting to be honest, I know if its insured, the insurance company will pay up and all the issues that follow a claim etc.

It was hitched up and towed off the premises in about ten minutes.

Just goes to show, nothing much will stop these people.

Re the gates comment, my friend has just has her massive gates stolen in broad daylight too. A passing elderly neighbour did ask the thieves what they were doing and they said 'they don't like these gates, so we're here to remove them and the new gates are coming later this afternoon'..........The van was sign written with what the old gent thought was a proper company'

Lisa

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Jackie

I do not understand this you can see the number plate of the white van easy. Also the chaps faces are as clear as a bell what more do the police need or do they wish you also to go and catch them youself.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone. The theft was more than two years ago now, but no way the share it before. They have not been caught, so its a fair guess that they are still at it?? Perhaps taking some of the vans going daily? The police told me at the time that they tried all permutations of the numbers, but no such number was registered to any vehicle!!

Re: do they want you to catch them yourself? - I guess that's a yes! This is the second van we had stolen. After the first theft my son and I saw cigarette ash and after a long search found a roll-up butt. When I rang the police they asked me take it to them! After many weeks I rang them to see if there was DNA - they told me no - so I asked why - they said the cigarette butt was too wet - so I asked if they had had it tested at all? - they said no! - so I asked for it back to have tested myself - the police then DID test it - led straight to a chappy from Leeds - who admitted being the look-out butt wouldn;t say who he was with!!! He was already in prison but got another 6 months for our caravan theft!!

Police tell me this chap was NOT involved in the second theft thats on the CCTV!!!

Re: loss adjusters/insurance I tried to get them more interested in tracking these people down, but they were quite disinterested. However, with all the views of the CCTV and interest, I am going to go back to them...because they will surely still be paying out thousands because of these chaps?

Regards Jackie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts