Change of tow Vehicle

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Your views please. Next Year I am looking at possibly changing our BMW X5 .I like the look of the Kia Sorento ,now I notice the The Kia has around 2.5 donkey against the Beemer with its 3 ltr donkey what am I going to lose.I tow a Twin axle Sterling Elite. I look forward to your comments.
SirRoger.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sir Rog.
We tow a 2011 twin axle conqueror with a 59 plate Sorento (the old type) ours works out at 87% with a towball max of 120kg. my understanding is the new sorento is a lot lighter and a reduced towbar weight.
Will it comfortably tow your sterling?
smiley-surprised.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite a lot of your hard earned money due to the spent X5 depreciation and the future Sorento depreciation!!!! But the 7 year warranty should offset that someway and give peace of mind.
I drove the new Sorento when it came out and the engine is very good compared to my older model. Ride and handling were improved too as was interior space etc. However it still did not drive like an X5 but few would expect that. Met some Sorento owners in Scotland recently and they were very pleased with the car's overall performance and economy. Yes they are lighter than the old model, but I would suspect that the better suspension makes up for that, and the tow weight is less than my older model, but who really needs to tow 3500kgs and that would mostly be in low ratio anyway. The noseweight of 85kg is less but is still more than adequate for a properly loaded outfit, and most caravan noseweights are limited to 100kg by the drawbar limit. The reason I did not go for the new Sorento is that its looks did not appeal and it had lost its genuine off -road abilty which I did use. Also when the new Sorento came out dealers were not keen to negotiate and it was getting expensive compared to its peers. So I went back to an estate.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
All very much a personal thing. Have there been questions over the towing capabilities of the Sorento?? Having said that the image should be better than the X5
smiley-laughing.gif

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sir Rog.
We looked at loads of tugs to pull our T/A Barcelona and could not find another car that would offer the internal space and comfort of the X5.
But there again I'm 6"4 and my teenage kids are heading to 6" so this was our only choice but I'm very pleased with it as I'm sure you are.
Good luck in your search
Neil

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have to say I am pleased with how The X5 performs, despite the fact I am looking at the Sorento doesnt rule out another X. I was really looking at a comparison.You here so much about the Sorentos and very little on the X5 so the obvious thing was to put a feeler out on here.
I do apreciaate the views that have come in.
Sir Roger

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the old model Sorento Auto and will not part with it.The new model has not got the noseweight or towing capacity of the old model.If you look on other forums you will find there are plenty of gripes.I am a Kia lover as we have 6 in the family of different models,but i am afraid i will give this model a miss.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts