Changing battery with solar panel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 10, 2020
Visit site
Well guys, I duly scoured the marvellously comprehensive and totally thorough ( NOT) Swift owner manual, no mention of keeping the leisure battery connected when the solar panel is charging (but I am more inclined to the wisdom of Mickyjb’s screenshot) No mention of a fuse. No solar panel fuse listed on the Sargent electronics doodah under the front bench. However, did trawl the internet and found a picture of the Truma solar panel controller (which is what we have). There seems to be a blade fuse on the underside of the controller box. Assume this is the one I would need. Will check it is there when next in the van. Hope this helps someone else. We have a Sprite Alpine 2 btw.
Thanks again
Mel
Swift solar panel fuse is behind the microwave. Well it is on mine.🤔

Reactions: Banus
Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Brilliant as I have a Swift 480 Challenger. Is the fuse removable without having to remove thew MW? If not is the MW easily removable?

May 10, 2020
Visit site
Microwave very easy to remove although I don’t remember having to do that. The bottom trim panel just pulls off. Just secured by a couple of magnets.

Reactions: Banus
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
There really ought to be an an isolator switch between the solar controller and the battery, said switch should be fitted very close to the battery.
But, you most likely will not find an isolator switch as most caravan suppliers do things as cheaply as possible, even if their miserliness could lead to damaged equipment or damaged people.

Assuming that you most likely do not have an isolator switch or even an identifiable fuse to remove; just disconnect the plus signed cable (the positive - sometimes red coloured) from the solar controller, the positive cable entry point will be under a solar panel symbol.

Easy and safe way to isolate the solar panel from the controller and the battery at the same time.
Agreed re 12V isolation. Mine has a battery isolator and a solar panel isolator both. Battery isolators cost little online, solar panel isolators are not that pricey either. Cost cutting in the caravan industry for me is practiced to a level beyond belief when such things get omitted.

Steve

Reactions: Anseo
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I don't think 40 volts would kill you, anyway, remember the old saying "Volts jolts, mills kills". You can take a 10,000 volt shock that will give you a fair old belt, but not kill you, but a few milliamps will.
”Don’t think” doesn’t really cut it here when talking about life and death 😔. I tend to look for certainty here.

Whether you get killed by electricity depends on a lot of factors. Firstly is it AC or DC, DC can be worse. How is the body connected, is the current path through the heart? Two hands applied to opposing DC feeds being an effective way to maximise that effect. What is the medical susceptibility of the person, any tendency to cardiac issues (usually an unknown). At what exact point in the cardiac cycle does the current arrive, timing can affect cardiac effect. Skin conductivity is critical, is the skin wet or salty? Both often apply. What are the secondary risks of uncontrolled movement or a fall?

It is current not voltage that kills, and some of the above factors allow relatively low DC voltages to generate dangerous currents in the heart.

I think with more reading you would find that in the wrong circumstances 40V DC most definitely could kill. Usually it will not kill, but usually is not good enough!

My own anecdote here relates to connecting a 24VDC boat battery pair on a hot day in a damp engine room. I was sweating with very damp skin. Probably salty. My hands touched opposite terminals, maybe at about 26V off load. All I can say is that it was one hell of a belt. I survived despite temporary pain, but was left with no doubt that such voltages could kill if you were unlucky! I have more respect for low voltage DC since!

Electrocution risk is perhaps not the key reason for the isolator anyway. A medium size solar panel setup can give very significant short circuit currents. Fires, burns, eye damage from arc and sparks are all possibles if working on a live solar circuit. I also prefer the panels isolated when the van is not in use. Proper isolation is neeed before working on the charger?

Anyway, the above is why my van has one fitted

Steve

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: what SteveW has commented on about isolator switches, for less than a fiver they are readily available and very easy to incorporate into a 12v sytem.
e.g.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think 40 volts would kill you, anyway, remember the old saying "Volts jolts, mills kills". You can take a 10,000 volt shock that will give you a fair old belt, but not kill you, but a few milliamps will.
As an electrical and electronics engineer, I detest systems that can't be properly isolated. Even extra low voltage systems can pose risks which can be averted with sensible precautions, like proper terminations with isolation.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
So if the solar panel has to be isolated what's the situation with all the caravans on dealer forecourts with no battery in them.

When we bought ours it's had no battery, the dealer fitted it in front of us simply by connecting the cables, no fuse removed, no isolator.

From a safety point of view surely the solar power supply is no more dangerous than the battery itself?

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I fitted my own solar panel and put an isolator in line (and a volt meter so I can see what the panel is up to).

I can't remember where I read it, but I think it's to protect the charge controller - the regulator circuits can't control the solar panel if they're not being powered by the battery. But that's only from my memory.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
To monitor my battery I used 12V to USB socket that has voltage display very cheap from Aliexpress. Charging devices was primarily reason for fitting it but voltage display is very useful.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Recently I changed the Truma solar panel controller to a Victron controller. All I did was remove the negative terminal off the battery, replace the controller and then reconnect the negative. Job done!

Reactions: Ferrodo
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So if the solar panel has to be isolated what's the situation with all the caravans on dealer forecourts with no battery in them.

When we bought ours it's had no battery, the dealer fitted it in front of us simply by connecting the cables, no fuse removed, no isolator.

From a safety point of view surely the solar power supply is no more dangerous than the battery itself?
I presume your comment immediately following my own was a response to my comment. My comment was not specifically related to solar systems. It is generally poor practice to disconnect any electrical item leaving unprotected wires or contacts at any voltage.

However, for a solar panel to be able to charge a battery it has to produce a voltage that is higher than the batteries standing voltage. In fact if a panel is disconnected from the battery, in bright sunlight the open circuit output voltage can actually climb quite a lot higher than its rated voltage, and in series connected systems multiple panels could reach what is officially considered to be hazardous levels. An solar panel rated for 12V could easily reach an open circuit voltage of 25V or more in sunlight. Bear in mind that some systems might include diodes and capacitors that may retain such terminal voltages even when the panel is in darkness.

Even at voltages less than the hazard levels, if skin is wet or damaged, it is possible to receive a shock, how many of us have tested a PP3 9V dc battery on our tongue.

A child whose body is smaller than an adult will have a greater risk of a shock being dangerous .

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
When installing solar panels I use to cover them with sheet of cardboard to reduce power output until wires had been terminated.
Good call, also it's a better idea to do it when the sun is low (morning or evening). Evening is probably better because the sun is dropping...

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If you use a plug connection from the solar panel to the controller, then you can wire up plug to panel, socket to controller without getting involved in any current flowing. Unless "ham-fisted" enough to short out thing wiring the plug up.

So configured then you are readily able to work as most controllers I have worked with need, connect panel last, disconnect panel first, relative to battery controller connections. Without risking arcing as you fumble to pock wires into connections.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts